Thread: Help me out guys, think I need a change.

Wannabebig Member

Help me out guys, think I need a change.

Okay, this will be a long post.

I've been doing the same basic workout now forever, and haven't seen much gains for quite a while. I'm sure most of the blame can be pointed to my diet. I don't think I eat enough calories for my size/workout habits. First off, I'm not new to weightlifting. I'm 25 and have been doing it forever. My lifts aren't substantial, and I think I wasted a lot of potential. I cleanly benched 365 while in high school, but haven't gone much over that. Started hitting squats harder in the last couple of years. Tried to incorporate deads, but I'm a pansy. I will add them back in to the routine. I'm 6'3", 225lbs, and pretty lean (slightly visible 6-pack) Anyways, here is what I'm doing:

Monday: chest/tris
    Bench 8-6-4 (305-315-325lbs)
    incline 8-6-4
    flies 10-8-6
    dips 10-8-6
    pushdowns 10-8-6

Wed: legs/bis
    Squats 8-6-4 (315-345-365lbs)
    leg press 10-8-6
    sometimes leg ext/curls 10-8-6
    calves 10-8-6
    Db curls 10-8-6
    preacher curls 10-8-6

Friday back/shoulders
    Rows 8-6-4
    db bent rows 10-8-6
    pull-ups or pull downs 10-8-6
    DB military press 10-8-6
    side lats 10-8-6
    shrugs 10-8-6

On Tuesday/Thursday I have Krav Maga class (close combat fighting).
    Sat/Sun are for relaxing

======

My diet varies a little.
    8:00am 4 eggs and two pieces of WW toast. Glass of milk
    10:00 protein shake, maybe some mixed nuts
    12:00 lunch, whatever I can scrape up, leftovers, etc.
    3:00 another snack, possible nuts, eggs, or protein bar, whatever I find.
    4:30 Pre workout shake
    5:30 workout
    7:00 post workout shake
    8:30 dinner - usually something with chicken

I'm thinking about moving my post shake until closer to sleep time, and just eating after working out. Not sure if that's a good idea.

======

I'm thinking about trying the WBB1 workout, or something similar where you group the different muscle groups together (chest/back). I'm not sure if just doing 2 sets per exercise is going to be enough. Would adding a third set be a bad idea for me?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

A few sets here or there will not cause any significant changes. If you want drastically different results, you'll have to do drastically different things.

The journal / I live here.

If I were to start from scratch as a young 13 year old again, I would do every press, squat, and perhaps deadlifts, for my entire career with chains. -- Dan John

I use to do the a similar routine as far as reps go. I found the biggest improvement when I moved away from 10-8-6. If your trying to gain muscle then I would say stay in the 8-12 range. If your trying to get stronger then I would stay in the 4-6 rep range. This along with a good diet will help you get to where you want to be.

IMO an upper/lower split would be a consideration, but I don't know if that is a possibility with your combat classes.

You should also consider working on your diet. Right now it seems to consist of a lot of "whatever I find" or "whatever is left over". Use Fitday.
    20 years old
    6' 1"
    Current Weight:175 (10/28/08)
    Clean Bulk