Thread: Hope Tax Credit

Hope Tax Credit

Okay, lots of college kids here. And it's tax time.

I recently found out about the Hope Tax Credit; you can read about it here: http://www.ed.gov/offices/OPE/PPI/HOPE/index.html

My friend told me that she filed last year and received the Hope credit. However, on the site it says that it's only for people who have not finished the first two years of school. Did she get lucky and the IRS didn't catch her, or am I misunderstanding the regulation?

For anyone here in their first couple of years of school, read the link and then file for Hope. For anyone else, file for the Lifetime learning credit. I can't believe I had never heard about these.

-- Mike
    Don't hate the player. Hate the game.

I think you can take the hope credit regardless of what year you're in as long as you haven't taken it before. Not 100% on that though. Lifetime learning credit can be taken regardless of how many years you've been in school.

Stats: Age: 34 Weight: 205 Height: 5'6"
    Gym PRs: Squat:635 Bench:560 Deadlift:495
    Meet PRs: Squat:575 Bench:525 Deadlift:510 Total: 1605@220

Can highschool kids do this stuff?

Quote Originally Posted by ROMANMAN
    Can highschool kids do this stuff?
    No, and neither can Canadians.

Quote Originally Posted by drew
    I think you can take the hope credit regardless of what year you're in as long as you haven't taken it before. Not 100% on that though. Lifetime learning credit can be taken regardless of how many years you've been in school.
    Hm, that would be pimp.

Quote Originally Posted by MM
    No, and neither can Canadians.
    Ouch yo.
    Edit- Just realised you werent making fun of me.
    Last edited by ROMANMAN; 01-09-2006 at 04:28 PM.

Come on dammit.

I believe that the credit can be claimed in any 2 years of college and other years claim the lifetime learning credit.
    "Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." -- Benjamin Franklin

MM, you're not allowed to take the hope credit after the first two years of school. however, many of our clients take it for their children past the first two years as long as they haven't previously filed for it. the thing is, the IRS probably doesn't know and is not going to spend the time finding out what year of school you're in if you've never filed for the credit before. technically its not legal, but you should be able to slide by with it.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Quote Originally Posted by RBB
    MM, you're not allowed to take the hope credit after the first two years of school. however, many of our clients take it for their children past the first two years as long as they haven't previously filed for it. the thing is, the IRS probably doesn't know and is not going to spend the time finding out what year of school you're in if you've never filed for the credit before. technically its not legal, but you should be able to slide by with it.

Unfortunately, I'm stupidly honest. Also, I'm rather sure I'd get caught. I probably won't file for it.

it says 'less grant aid.' does that mean that if i have a full ride, im not eligable?
    Rock Quotes:
    -Girls like big strong men, all the other men has to find a niche or a thing they supposedly love, you know...like saving whales or reading books, to get laid.
    -Look..first I am scared little freezing virgin munk, but then I bare my self and I am nothing like a freezing virgin!
    -Then I saw a little african boy sleeping, and I thought...that is little Okeke, he is tired from herding all the goats and the big goat got away today.
    Quote Originally Posted by fixationdarknes
    And I'll clench my buttcheeks as hard as I can to keep free of intruders.

journal

Quote Originally Posted by biggimp
    it says 'less grant aid.' does that mean that if i have a full ride, im not eligable?
    right, no credit with a full ride.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!