The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Car Problem. No Heat

For any on here that know about cars, and the pain they bring. I have a 00 Mitsubishi Galant. 75,000 miles, I keep it clean, oil changed, trans fluid changed. Never had a problem with it until earlier this week. The heat died.

My old man and I looked it over, changed the thermostat. The engine heats up fine, but no heat. The blower fan works etc.

One weird thing though. This morning I was looking at it, had the car running in park. I turned the defroster setting on, and it stalled out. I was low on coolant from changing the thermostat yesterday, so I bought some and filled it up. This time it didnt stall, but when I switched to the defrost setting it kind of idled funny for a second. No problems idleing on any other setting though.

Any ideas?

Oh yeah. There is no coolant leaking, or leaking on the passenger side. So I dont think the heater core is leaking. It might be busted?
    " ...if all else fails, just whip out those b'normous biceps!!!!!!! Teh lad33z <3 teh str3ngth!"- McIrish

"An Irishman has an abiding sense of tragedy which sustains him through temporary periods of joy..."

"When a man is in love, is jealous, and has been whipped by the Inquisition, he is no longer himself..."- Voltaire

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

You probably just need to change out the heater resistor. Take it to a Mitsu dealer and ask for the part. It should cost no more than about $30.

They are usually located behind the glove box under the passenger dash. Pull out the old one and push in the new one. They plug right into a slot.
    5'9" 195 lbs
    DL 600x1
    SQ 490x1 (raw)
    BP 430x1 (shirted), 320x1 (raw)
    SN 209x1 C+J 250x1

My Training Journal
    www.illinipowerlifting.org

"Most people don't want to learn new things. They only want to hear about things that validate crap they're already doing." - Mike Boyle

Hey Guido,

Thanks for the info...is it hard to get to? Is it similar to a fuse? Never heard of it.
    " ...if all else fails, just whip out those b'normous biceps!!!!!!! Teh lad33z <3 teh str3ngth!"- McIrish

"An Irishman has an abiding sense of tragedy which sustains him through temporary periods of joy..."

"When a man is in love, is jealous, and has been whipped by the Inquisition, he is no longer himself..."- Voltaire

Oh yeah. The blower works, etc that may be the problem. The main problem is no heat, is that resistor linked to the problem?

It shouldn't be too hard to get to. You might need to look in your manual or ask the parts guy at the dealer where the actual location is. In my Nissan it was on the far passenger side way back under the dash and behind the glove box. Your's might be slightly different. Not like a fuse, by the way. It should be bigger, and more resemble a silicon chip (like a RAM card or something) mostly covered in plastic or a cartridge.
    5'9" 195 lbs
    DL 600x1
    SQ 490x1 (raw)
    SN 209x1 C+J 250x1

My Training Journal

"Most people don't want to learn new things. They only want to hear about things that validate crap they're already doing." - Mike Boyle

You also might want to check your cabin air filter. That should also be located behind the glove box or under the passenger side dash. If that's really clogged your heat also might not work. Also check/replace your fuses.
    5'9" 195 lbs
    DL 600x1
    SQ 490x1 (raw)
    SN 209x1 C+J 250x1

My Training Journal

BTW, does the blower work on the lower speeds or only the highest speed? If only the highest speeds then it's definitely the resistor. If not, it could be one of the other things (fuse or filter).
    5'9" 195 lbs
    DL 600x1
    SQ 490x1 (raw)
    SN 209x1 C+J 250x1

My Training Journal

Blower works on all speeds, do i need to bust open the dash to get to the filter?
    We checked the fuses, and they were ok.

Which engine do you have. 4 cyl or 6 cyl?
    5'9" 195 lbs
    DL 600x1
    SQ 490x1 (raw)
    SN 209x1 C+J 250x1

My Training Journal

You don't need to bust open the dash. You should just need to remove the glove box to get to the cabin air filter.
    5'9" 195 lbs
    DL 600x1
    SQ 490x1 (raw)
    SN 209x1 C+J 250x1

My Training Journal

You said also that the defroster was acting funny. Did you check those fuses/connections, as well?
    Last edited by Guido; 01-09-2006 at 11:17 AM.
    5'9" 195 lbs
    DL 600x1
    SQ 490x1 (raw)
    SN 209x1 C+J 250x1

My Training Journal

It quit on me before I filled up the coolant. Its acting normal now with coolant.

Im going to try to see if I can find this cabin filter...do you own a Mitsu? You're the freakin man thanks for the help.

No, but most of these same-era Japanese cars are the same. I've had to do stuff under the dash on my Nissans and Subaru's and it seems like most of them are wired similarly.
    5'9" 195 lbs
    DL 600x1
    SQ 490x1 (raw)
    SN 209x1 C+J 250x1

My Training Journal

ok got the glove box off...wires look connected...time to unscrew stuff?

well got the filter......MAN its nasty. Leaves, dirt, etc. Could that really be the problem of no heat?

Quote Originally Posted by clvmike19
    well got the filter......MAN its nasty. Leaves, dirt, etc. Could that really be the problem of no heat?
    If it was clogged enough that could be the problem. The warm air from the heater core goes through there sucked in by the blower and through to the vents. If it's clogged, the blower is going to get it's air from just within the cabin instead of from the heater core. Get a new filter from the Mitsu dealer and see if that fixes the problem. If that's not it, see my post above...at leat you'll have a clean filter and your car will probably smell better!
    5'9" 195 lbs
    DL 600x1
    SQ 490x1 (raw)
    SN 209x1 C+J 250x1

My Training Journal

If none of those things work, it's got to be a leak in your heater core or your heater hose. You'll have to replace them if that the problem. They are more expensive to replace than the fuses, resistor, or cabin air filter to that's why you should check those first. The hose won't be that much but the heater core will probably be over $100. Both will be a pain to install so you might just want a mechanic to do it (not the dealer, though. They charge beaucoup $$$).

I have to go to lunch. Good luck!
    5'9" 195 lbs
    DL 600x1
    SQ 490x1 (raw)
    SN 209x1 C+J 250x1

My Training Journal

looks like i just need to take it in...

I laid upside down beneath my glove box for two hours last night, replacing my blower motor resistor (200 Grand Prix), only to be stymied by a funny-angled nut. I gave up, and went to buy a 1/4in universal adapter so I can finish it tonight. I felt like a damned contortionist though..what a pain! I had already had to remove my stabilizer and battery, just to change the headlight bulb! I hate cars..

5/3/1 Journal

http://http://www.wannabebig.com/for...83#post1766083

Im takin the bastard in tomorrow morning....still blowing cold air.

I have a 2001 Eclipse and had the same problem. I had no hear or cool air unless I was moving at 50+ miles and hour. I spent all of last winter in NY with no heat. My dad took it to a radiator guy, who said the radiator was busted. He replaced the radiator, the heat and air started working again. Two days later the engine overheated and blew the headgasket. The SOB says he put coolant back in, but I don't believe him.
    My Journal
    http://wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=119765

I think this is possibly the all-time best response on WBB. - Jorge Sanchez

"you're an animal eat like one damn it!" - Wikked1

"Now we're finally getting to the chicken or the egg question," I grinned. "Did I eat all that food because my size gives me more of an appetite, or did I get to be this big because I've been forcing myself to eat like this for years?"

From A Body Builder is Born

i knew you were a beast but not that kinda of a beast that eats grown men and children.. lilmase

I know the radiator is fine, thats not the problem. Coolant is getting into the heater core, the lines going into the firewall are warm when the car heats up. Its got to be something with the heater core or something. Ugh. We will find out tomorrow.

Turns out the cable on the hot/cold switch was busted. When I got my CD player installed they broke the the clip that holds it in place. So when I switched from hot to cold, the blend door got stuck on cold.......how stupid!

So I got a radiator flush/new thermostat out of the whole deal, for a repair that my old man and I couldve done for under 10 bucks.

Oh well, Im thankful it wasnt anything serious and I did some needed maintance during the process.

Sorry you had to go through so much trouble for what amounted to a stupid broken cable. I'd have had the guys who installed your stereo fix it or pay for it!
    5'9" 195 lbs
    DL 600x1
    SQ 490x1 (raw)
    SN 209x1 C+J 250x1

My Training Journal

I doubt thatd happen, they seemed like white trash. Learned my lesson though, I wont be going back there, shouldve had my brother do it....oh well. Like I said, I got maintance that I wouldve needed to do eventually anyway, so it wasnt so bad. Plus I got to learn all about my heating/cooling system and other parts of my engine. So future work if needed, wont be so bad.

Next up.....Oil Change and Spark Plugs!