The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 68
  1. #1
    SFW! drew's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    CT
    Posts
    8,128

    10 tips for fat loss, for beginners.

    10 Tips for fat loss, in simplest terms.
    I've found more and more that the average person just has no clue when it comes to proper nutrition or fat loss. Having a background in bodybuilding and powerlifting, I am often approached by friends and family for diet and exercise advice. I'm always glad to share my thoughts and experiences with others. This is just an effort to put together most of what I've learned over the last few years and maybe to help give a jumpstart to anyone who is new to this and wants to drop some fat, but doesn't want to do all the research. For the intermediate or experienced lifter, this should all be review.
    I am not a nutrition expert by any means, but have read and applied as much information as I could. These are all things that have worked for me, and primarily used to control my body fat level while increasing my body mass. I have used the following tips to bring my body weight from 165 up to 205 over the last 3 years while keeping my fat level below 13%. I have been as low as 8%, but it no longer suits my personal goals to strive for such a low percentage of body fat. I truly hope these tips will help get you on your way to fast fat loss.
    1. Drink plenty of water.
    At least a gallon of water should be consumed every day. Water will not only keep your body hydrated, but it will help carry waste out of your body. Avoid "designer" water and carbonated "water". These products, while still better than most beverages, are not water and do not carry the same benefits. "But I don't like water" you say. Learn to love it. It loves you.
    2. Eat 5-8 meals per day, every 2-3 hours.
    This should be nothing new to anyone. Just in case, the primary reason for increasing the frequency of food consumption is to increase your metabolic rate. If your body is in a constant state of using up the calories you consume, there won't be much room for those nasty fat cells to start filling up. If possible, you should try to count your calorie consumption. 10xyour body weight= calories per day. So if I want to lose weight and I weigh 205lbs then I should shoot for 2050 calories per day. Eat more, not less.
    3. If it breathes, eat it.
    Your diet should consist of an abundance of fish, poultry, lean cuts of beef, vegetables, fruit, and nuts. Natural food is much friendlier to your digestive system and your body will thank you for it. Try to eat a vegetable with every meal. Even if you don't want to count calories, these meals will provide a rich balance of nutrients and promote fat loss. If you're a vegetarian, please go and try to feed some hummus to a lion. Let me know if he likes it.
    4. Breakfast is really the most important meal of the day.
    Most people don't eat a good breakfast, if they eat anything at all. This meal is crucial. Remember how your body works better when in a constant metabolic state? Well, you just slept for 8 hours, and you weren't eating anything. Your body is starving and if you don't eat something soon, your metabolism will slow down and begin to store that fat you've worked so hard to get rid of. The best things to eat in the morning when focusing on fat loss are nuts and meat. Try to avoid sugars this early, as your body is highly insulin sensitive after a fast and you don't want to feed the beast when it's most hungry.
    5. Eat something before bed.

    A popular myth in the diet world is that any meal consumed before bed will turn into fat overnight. This couldn't be further from the truth. You must eat before you sleep in order to keep your metabolism working while you're enduring an extended fast. The best foods to eat are slow-digesting proteins such as yogurt or cottage cheese.

    6. High Fructose Corn Syrup is the devil.
    This widely popular sweetener is probably the single worst "food" you can subject your body to. It holds no nutritional value and will serve only to spike your insulin levels and help you pack on fat. HFCS is found in most processed foods and should be avoided at all costs.


    7. Forget about "carbs"

    The recent trend of demonizing carbohydrates has got to stop. They're not as bad as people think. Focus on whole grains and vegetables and fruits. These are all carbohydrate-rich foods, and all very helpful in promoting fat loss. Things to avoid are refined carbs. Basically, anything that's fake: white bread and bagels, refined sugar, most breakfast cereal and almost anything in the "snack" aisle. Also, be careful of packaged, dried fruit. Most of it has added HIGH FRUCTOSE CORN SYRUP which instantly destroys any nutritional value the fruit may have provided.


    8. Fish oil is your friend.

    This is a tough one. This one is even tough for me. Fish oil comes in capsules now, so you don't have to taste it going down, but you will taste it throughout the day, and that's not fun. However, with that said, fish oil is a huge help in reducing body fat. And it's relatively inexpensive. Again, this will be a tough one to swallow (pun intended), but if you really want to get that six-pack, it will sure help.

    9. Train your body with weights.

    This should be obvious, but for some reason, it's overlooked. The average person feels that cardio alone will help promote fat loss. In fact, steady state cardiovascular work will put your body in a catabolic state, burn muscle as well as fat, and will increase your performance at running on a treadmill, or using a recumbent bike or elliptical machine, depending on what you're doing. By training your body with weights, you will increase your muscle density. Muscle tissue will burn calories at a rate that is roughly 70 times that of fat. Basically, the more muscle you have, the easier it will be to lose fat. Now, especially for the women, increasing muscle density is not the same as increasing muscle size. You will not look like "those women" on ESPN with all the rippling muscles. These women work very hard to look like that, and you will never look like them unless you absolutely want to, and train to that end. Bottom line, weight training is key to fat loss.

    10. Don't follow the rules 100% of the time.

    How will you ever make progress if you're miserable with your diet? If you love to drink blue slurpees and eat snickers bars, then don't eliminate them completely from your diet. Taking a break from time to time is actually a good thing. This doesn't give you license to start eating everything in sight or to order the 5-5-5 from Dominoes for yourself, but one day per week you can go a little nuts, just keep it under control. This serves two purposes. One, the diet will be easier to stick to when you can keep eating the foods you really enjoy from time to time. Two, your metabolism will get a nice kick-start and begin working overtime to move all those sugars and calories around that it isn't used to.


    I'm absolutely certain I missed something here, but I think this is a good start far anyone who is unsure how to promote fat loss in their own body. Again, this is for beginners. The intermediate or advanced athlete should already know all of this. I tried to keep it as simple as possible, as I know how easy it is to quit just because it's too hard to understand. Good luck on your fat loss and don't give up.

    Stats: Age: 34 Weight: 205 Height: 5'6"
    Gym PRs: Squat:635 Bench:560 Deadlift:495
    Meet PRs: Squat:575 Bench:520 Deadlift:510 Total: 1605@220

  2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!


  3. #2
    Cock-Diesel Bound Optimum08's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Afternoon Delight
    Posts
    1,979
    drew...very nice article man...im gonna say it needs to be stickied...
    Status: Cutting...Heavily

    "Squats make the ghetto booty"-Me
    "No matter how much you lift, just remember that on the other side of the world, a little chinese girl is warming up with your max"-bIgHwN86
    "Reach for some self discipline."-Holto

  4. #3
    bone crusher
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Posts
    0
    some of the reasoning is not entirely correct but in general these are all good tips

    One thing about eating before bed, not a good idea for your esophagus

    a small meal at least 1, but preferably 2 hours before bed would be OK
    Last edited by the doc; 01-15-2006 at 09:53 AM.

  5. #4
    SFW! drew's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    CT
    Posts
    8,128
    Like I said, it's not perfect and I'm not an expert. It's just what I've learned.

    Stats: Age: 34 Weight: 205 Height: 5'6"
    Gym PRs: Squat:635 Bench:560 Deadlift:495
    Meet PRs: Squat:575 Bench:520 Deadlift:510 Total: 1605@220

  6. #5
    Back in business WBBIRL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    The Fridge
    Posts
    5,605
    Alot of that I knew, some of it I didnt. Very informant... sticky

  7. #6
    Senior Member getfit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    montreal quebec
    Posts
    17,449
    some good tips Drew
    You will soon see Getfit in OngII Flying Knee Thingys of Doom see if the feisty greek can survive the kicks of Steel Leg From Shaolin Soccer,Dim Mak(def touch) from ChungLee,and Flying Crane by Daniel-san-El Pietro

    Spray it with windex greek!-the famous El Pietro

    You be quiet or i'll clean and press your narrow francophone self-Callahan

    Lift for gains,not glory.Control your ego and the weight

    What a strong girl! This leads me to believe you can severly injure most of the male population-Nick Hatfield

    You're blazing white hot,anyone ever tell you that? Sometimes i think you have fingers faster then Superman when it comes to posts on WBB forums.
    Hot in terms of both speed and... well new hotness- Stash

    gain 50lbs-Anthony

  8. #7
    Not Done Yet ShockBoxer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    3,265
    Quote Originally Posted by the doc
    some of the reasoning is not entirely correct but in general these are all good tips

    One thing about eating before bed, not a good idea for your esophagus

    a small meal at least 1, but preferably 2 hours before bed would be OK
    What the Doc said.

    I've been finding (since I have a pre-existing gastro-intestinal problem) that if I eat something anything solid before bed I either wake up with heartburn or stomach cramps. I now try and give myself an hour or two between last snack of the day and bed.

    <-- is guilty of chowing down on hfcs far too often.
    The Reconstruction Project (Journal)

    Age: 34, Height: 5'4, Weight: 185, BF: somewhere between 15 and 45%

    Weightlifting Start Date: July 26, 2005 - Bench 95 x 6, Dead 110 x 8, Smith Squat 180 x 8
    Bests: Bench 185 x 8, Dead 400 x 1, Zercher Squat 295 x 3


    Stop thinking and go lift - Paul Stagg

  9. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    cleveland, uk
    Posts
    0
    I definatly think that should be stickied and every one who joins should be made to read it as it answers simple questions that are asked several times a week. the only thing to add in my opinion would be the below as ive staed before this is also asked many many times a weeks.

    Protein should be at 1-1.5g of protein per pound of lean bods mass.
    Healthy fat should be 0.5g per lean pound of body mass as a minimum
    the rest of your cals can be made up of a mix of protein/carbs/fats
    my journal
    http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=68545

    weight 202 - (bf around 14%)
    PR's
    Bench - 286
    deadlift - new pr on the 23/12/06 190 kilo (430 pound)
    squat - 264 ATF

    Goals

    200 pound at 10% bf by next summer

  10. #9
    SFW! drew's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    CT
    Posts
    8,128
    Quote Originally Posted by HILL
    Protein should be at 1-1.5g of protein per pound of lean bods mass.
    Healthy fat should be 0.5g per lean pound of body mass as a minimum
    the rest of your cals can be made up of a mix of protein/carbs/fats
    I tried to keep it as simple as possible, figuring that if you were to follow the 10 tips, these things would pretty much fall into place.

    Stats: Age: 34 Weight: 205 Height: 5'6"
    Gym PRs: Squat:635 Bench:560 Deadlift:495
    Meet PRs: Squat:575 Bench:520 Deadlift:510 Total: 1605@220

  11. #10
    HS Football D Breyer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Mlps, MN
    Posts
    1,311
    sticky!

    good article drew
    6'1 - 195
    Crossfit Total: Press: 135 - Squat: 315 - Deadlift: 365
    Competition Lifts: Clean: 205 - Bench: 205

  12. #11
    New Beginning Hoominaga's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Fort Worth, TX
    Posts
    0
    Good tips, thanks.

  13. #12
    Wannabebig Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    58
    Great advice.

  14. #13
    Just watch me ... Built's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    9,916
    As someone who has successfully lost and kept off a lot of fat, I'd like to add a few edits into this well-intentioned post:

    Quote Originally Posted by drew
    10 Tips for fat loss, in simplest terms.
    I've found more and more that the average person just has no clue when it comes to proper nutrition or fat loss. Having a background in bodybuilding and powerlifting, I am often approached by friends and family for diet and exercise advice. I'm always glad to share my thoughts and experiences with others. This is just an effort to put together most of what I've learned over the last few years and maybe to help give a jumpstart to anyone who is new to this and wants to drop some fat, but doesn't want to do all the research. For the intermediate or experienced lifter, this should all be review.
    I am not a nutrition expert by any means, but have read and applied as much information as I could. These are all things that have worked for me, and primarily used to control my body fat level while increasing my body mass. I have used the following tips to bring my body weight from 165 up to 205 over the last 3 years while keeping my fat level below 13%. I have been as low as 8%, but it no longer suits my personal goals to strive for such a low percentage of body fat. I truly hope these tips will help get you on your way to fast fat loss.
    1. Drink plenty of water.
    At least a gallon of water should be consumed every day. Water will not only keep your body hydrated, but it will help carry waste out of your body. Avoid "designer" water and carbonated "water". These products, while still better than most beverages, are not water and do not carry the same benefits. "But I don't like water" you say. Learn to love it. It loves you.
    This one is fine

    Quote Originally Posted by drew
    2. Eat 5-8 meals per day, every 2-3 hours.
    This should be nothing new to anyone. Just in case, the primary reason for increasing the frequency of food consumption is to increase your metabolic rate.
    This is not true. It has been refuted many times. And on lower calories, many people are more comfortable with fewer, larger meals than more, smaller meals, particularly women, because our maintenance calories are so much lower than they are for men.

    Quote Originally Posted by drew
    If your body is in a constant state of using up the calories you consume, there won't be much room for those nasty fat cells to start filling up. If possible, you should try to count your calorie consumption. 10xyour body weight= calories per day. So if I want to lose weight and I weigh 205lbs then I should shoot for 2050 calories per day. Eat more, not less.
    Also misleading. If this was the case for me, I'd have to diet on 1400 calories a day. In reality, I drop on anything under 2000. The only way to really know is to track YOUR calories for a week or so, find YOUR maintenance calories, and drop them by no more than 20%. Readjust as your weight drops and you stall.

    Quote Originally Posted by drew
    3. If it breathes, eat it.
    Your diet should consist of an abundance of fish, poultry, lean cuts of beef, vegetables, fruit, and nuts. Natural food is much friendlier to your digestive system and your body will thank you for it. Try to eat a vegetable with every meal. Even if you don't want to count calories, these meals will provide a rich balance of nutrients and promote fat loss.
    They won't promote fat loss - that comes from lowering calories and heavy lifting. But they are nutrient dense, and that's significant on a diet.

    Quote Originally Posted by drew
    If you're a vegetarian, please go and try to feed some hummus to a lion. Let me know if he likes it.
    4. Breakfast is really the most important meal of the day.
    Most people don't eat a good breakfast, if they eat anything at all. This meal is crucial. Remember how your body works better when in a constant metabolic state? Well, you just slept for 8 hours, and you weren't eating anything. Your body is starving and if you don't eat something soon, your metabolism will slow down and begin to store that fat you've worked so hard to get rid of. The best things to eat in the morning when focusing on fat loss are nuts and meat. Try to avoid sugars this early, as your body is highly insulin sensitive after a fast and you don't want to feed the beast when it's most hungry.
    While I am a breakfast eater, and I agree with you on the "no sugar in the AM" philosophy, it's for comfort. Some people have natural anorexia in the AM - on a diet, you might as well take advantage of the times when you're not hugely hungry - save the calories for when you NEED them.

    Quote Originally Posted by drew
    5. Eat something before bed.

    A popular myth in the diet world is that any meal consumed before bed will turn into fat overnight. This couldn't be further from the truth. You must eat before you sleep in order to keep your metabolism working while you're enduring an extended fast. The best foods to eat are slow-digesting proteins such as yogurt or cottage cheese.
    Absolutely.
    Quote Originally Posted by drew

    6. High Fructose Corn Syrup is the devil.
    This widely popular sweetener is probably the single worst "food" you can subject your body to. It holds no nutritional value and will serve only to spike your insulin levels and help you pack on fat. HFCS is found in most processed foods and should be avoided at all costs.
    Not necessarily as bad as all that, but certainly empty calories. Interestingly, orange juice and coca cola show virtually identical sugar profiles. Juice is just as bad as pop on a diet.

    Quote Originally Posted by drew
    7. Forget about "carbs"

    The recent trend of demonizing carbohydrates has got to stop. They're not as bad as people think. Focus on whole grains and vegetables and fruits. These are all carbohydrate-rich foods, and all very helpful in promoting fat loss. Things to avoid are refined carbs. Basically, anything that's fake: white bread and bagels, refined sugar, most breakfast cereal and almost anything in the "snack" aisle. Also, be careful of packaged, dried fruit. Most of it has added HIGH FRUCTOSE CORN SYRUP which instantly destroys any nutritional value the fruit may have provided.
    Again, not true on the HFCS front - it does not cancel out nutrients.

    And while carbs are not the devil - they DO make you hungry. They're necessary, however, for various ergogenic requirements - bottom line, eat 'em when you need 'em, avoid 'em the rest of the time and rely on protein and fat for satiety.

    My .02 (CAD)
    Quote Originally Posted by drew


    8. Fish oil is your friend.

    This is a tough one. This one is even tough for me. Fish oil comes in capsules now, so you don't have to taste it going down, but you will taste it throughout the day, and that's not fun. However, with that said, fish oil is a huge help in reducing body fat. And it's relatively inexpensive. Again, this will be a tough one to swallow (pun intended), but if you really want to get that six-pack, it will sure help.
    Excellent for partitioning, satiety, endocrine support ... couldn't agree more.

    Quote Originally Posted by drew

    9. Train your body with weights.

    This should be obvious, but for some reason, it's overlooked. The average person feels that cardio alone will help promote fat loss. In fact, steady state cardiovascular work will put your body in a catabolic state, burn muscle as well as fat, and will increase your performance at running on a treadmill, or using a recumbent bike or elliptical machine, depending on what you're doing. By training your body with weights, you will increase your muscle density. Muscle tissue will burn calories at a rate that is roughly 70 times that of fat.
    No.

    Adipose 4.5 kcal/kg/day
    Muscle 13 kcal/kg/day

    Paper is "Dissecting the Energy Needs of the Body"

    Authors are Steven A. McClave and Harvy L. Snider


    Quote Originally Posted by drew
    Basically, the more muscle you have, the easier it will be to lose fat. Now, especially for the women, increasing muscle density is not the same as increasing muscle size. You will not look like "those women" on ESPN with all the rippling muscles. These women work very hard to look like that, and you will never look like them unless you absolutely want to, and train to that end.
    and take AAS.

    Quote Originally Posted by drew
    Bottom line, weight training is key to fat loss.

    10. Don't follow the rules 100% of the time.

    How will you ever make progress if you're miserable with your diet? If you love to drink blue slurpees and eat snickers bars, then don't eliminate them completely from your diet. Taking a break from time to time is actually a good thing. This doesn't give you license to start eating everything in sight or to order the 5-5-5 from Dominoes for yourself, but one day per week you can go a little nuts, just keep it under control. This serves two purposes. One, the diet will be easier to stick to when you can keep eating the foods you really enjoy from time to time. Two, your metabolism will get a nice kick-start and begin working overtime to move all those sugars and calories around that it isn't used to.


    I'm absolutely certain I missed something here, but I think this is a good start far anyone who is unsure how to promote fat loss in their own body. Again, this is for beginners. The intermediate or advanced athlete should already know all of this. I tried to keep it as simple as possible, as I know how easy it is to quit just because it's too hard to understand. Good luck on your fat loss and don't give up.
    Simple is good if it's sufficient and correct.

    This had some good points though.

  15. #14
    SFW! drew's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    CT
    Posts
    8,128
    Built, I always defer to your knowledge. Thanks for the clarification. Again, this is just what I've learned, and there's always more to learn.

    Stats: Age: 34 Weight: 205 Height: 5'6"
    Gym PRs: Squat:635 Bench:560 Deadlift:495
    Meet PRs: Squat:575 Bench:520 Deadlift:510 Total: 1605@220

  16. #15
    HS Football D Breyer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Mlps, MN
    Posts
    1,311
    built- Just curious... what would your top 10 tips for fat loss be?
    6'1 - 195
    Crossfit Total: Press: 135 - Squat: 315 - Deadlift: 365
    Competition Lifts: Clean: 205 - Bench: 205

  17. #16
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    14
    Excellent Article dude

  18. #17
    Just watch me ... Built's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    9,916
    Drew,

    np - it was a good start. You might consider editing the original post.

    Cap'n crunch - that's a good question.

    Dunno about 10, but I'd include:

    Drop cals by no lower than 20% below maintenance, unless you're doing PSMF or something similar

    Keep protein at no lower than 1g/lb LBM, and fats at no lower than 0.5g/lb LBM

    Figure out what foods make you feel satisfied, and what foods make you feel hungry.

    Eat protein at every meal

    Figure out when you're hungriest, and save calories from when you're the least hungry so you can manage your hunger effectively

    Lift heavy while you lower your calories - rely on diet to drop WEIGHT, and on heavy lifting to force your body to drop fat instead of muscle. Light weights with high reps will do the opposite.

  19. #18
    Iced Earth - Stormrider ArchAngel777's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    1,661
    Built,

    It seems to have some of the best knowledge on this site. I had a few questions in regards to some things you advise and am curious if you can link to research, or rather provide me with the means to find it.

    1) How often to eat? - You had mentioned it doesn't matter when you eat or how often, so long as the total calories are the same? Is this true and do you believe it? If so, could you provide some links. I would rejoice if this were true (and it might be) because I would not have the burden of eating all the darn time.

    2) 20% Below Maintenance... Any reason for this? I have heard people suggest that going below will put your body in "starvation mode". However, logically that sort of makes sense, but not in reality. For instance, why would you body neednessly burn extra energy? That does not seem to fit in with the great ability of our bodys to store fat... Instead of burning calories, it would seem that it would resort to storing them and remain effecient. Do you know what I am getting at? So, if the body's metabolism slows down with the ammount we eat, then 1) the body isn't that smart after all and needlessly wastes energy, which doesn't line up with how efficient it is at storing body fat. 2) it would have to slow down organs and such things, the result would be getting sick...

    I guess what I am saying is that there are so many angles one could go with their believes with RDA's for calorie requirements. Some people say 2,000 is plenty and I can attest to that as far as being satisfied, but many others claim 3,000... But whatever the case, if ones metabolism slows down with the ammount of food we eat, then the difference between 2,000 or 3,000 could be absolutely nothing. Thus, if someone is satisfied at 2,000 calories, completely. Then 3,000, even if not gaining weight would not make sense, for the person would be stuffed and lethargic. Again, just another possible view point.

    Hopefully both of these make sense and you can understand the angle I am coming from. Just curious to know your perspective and hopefully you can point to some great research on that.

    Thanks,

    Gabriel
    Last edited by ArchAngel777; 01-16-2006 at 04:41 PM.

  20. #19
    Back in business WBBIRL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    The Fridge
    Posts
    5,605
    People vary so much though, as a 300lbs much bigger guy my calorie ranges are very close to builts. She cuts at 2000 while I would nearly maintain at that range. So her metabolism is slighty higher then mine.

  21. #20
    Proud Father Maki Riddington's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Location
    Vancouver, B.C.
    Posts
    5,324
    Quote Originally Posted by Built



    While I am a breakfast eater, and I agree with you on the "no sugar in the AM" philosophy, it's for comfort. Some people have natural anorexia in the AM - on a diet, you might as well take advantage of the times when you're not hugely hungry - save the calories for when you NEED them.

    When you need them may not be the best time to take them. That's why losing body fat requires a certain amount of self discipline. The body responds in a certain manner to various nutrients at particular times of the day as well as when we exercise.

    Use your calories for when the body will best use them, not when you need them.

    Then again, you haven't defined the word "need" and the context you are using it in. So I could be agreeing with you. Heh.
    Last edited by Maki Riddington; 01-16-2006 at 05:35 PM.
    Maki Fit Blog

    At Large: Optimize Your Body | Dynamic Conditioning |
    My articles on Wannabebig

    "Soli Deo Gloria"
    "Test all things; hold fast what is good.": 1 Thessalonians 5:21

    "I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do. And if I do what I do not want to do, I agree that the law is good. As it is, it is no longer I myself who do it, but it is sin living in me. I know that nothing good lives in me, that is, in my sinful nature. For I have the desire to do what is good, but I cannot carry it out. For what I do is not the good I want to do; no, the evil I do not want to do--this I keep on doing. Now if I do what I do not want to do, it is no longer I who do it, but it is sin living in me that does it.
    So I find this law at work: When I want to do good, evil is right there with me. For in my inner being I delight in God's law; but I see another law at work in the members of my body, waging war against the law of my mind and making me a prisoner of the law of sin at work within my members. What a wretched man I am! Who will rescue me from this body of death? Thanks be to God--through Jesus Christ our Lord!"
    Romans 7:14-25

    "Judo is not about strength. Yet in the learning curve, all Judokas get strong. Only with time do you learn where to apply that strength."
    The Art of Judo

  22. #21
    Just watch me ... Built's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    9,916
    In the end, if eating in the AM is uncomfortable and your workouts are in the evening anyway, you might as well take advantage of the timing and eat more food later in the day.

    Now if you train in the AM, then you're gonna need food at that time. Unless it's fasted SS AM cardio we're talking here, workouts need fuel.

    With all due respect, Maki, I don't think you've ever been significantly overweight, correct? I've been overweight and have had to deal with metabolic conditions that pushed my appetite out of control. Ultimately, if you can NOT control your hunger, you won't be able to stick to a plan.

    If you need to do something that may be slightly sub-optimal but that allows you to stick to your programme, you have to look at the greater good.

    For me, it's a moot point - I eat as soon as I wake up. Always have. But I've heard many people tell me that the are NOT hungry in the AM, and they ARE later in the day. If you're getting in your allotted calories, in the end, WHEN during the day you get them in isn't going to matter nearly as much as the fact that you're not over (or under) eating.

    My 0.2

  23. #22
    Just watch me ... Built's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    9,916
    Quote Originally Posted by ArchAngel777
    Built,

    It seems to have some of the best knowledge on this site. I had a few questions in regards to some things you advise and am curious if you can link to research, or rather provide me with the means to find it.

    1) How often to eat? - You had mentioned it doesn't matter when you eat or how often, so long as the total calories are the same? Is this true and do you believe it? If so, could you provide some links. I would rejoice if this were true (and it might be) because I would not have the burden of eating all the darn time.
    I usually eat 6-7 meals a day, but that's comfortable for me. On a cut, on my lowest calorie days, this may be 4-5 times a day so I can have a little more food in each meal. It's probably mostly psychological, but whatever works.

    Quote Originally Posted by ArchAngel777

    2) 20% Below Maintenance... Any reason for this?
    It's often bantered about - I would actually like to know where it comes from - fair enough to ask. It has been my understanding that male BB have long been advised to drop cals by 500 to lose a pound a week.

    If your maint cals are 2500 a day, this represents a 20% reduction. If your maint cals are 1500 a day, well, dropping by a third is a VERY steep drop. Your body will understand what's happening - you're surviving a famine. It will start shedding muscle because muscle is more metabolically costly than fat - at least that's how I understand it. Slows the calorie drain, so you're likely to survive longer into the famine.

    Quote Originally Posted by ArchAngel777
    I have heard people suggest that going below will put your body in "starvation mode". However, logically that sort of makes sense, but not in reality. For instance, why would you body neednessly burn extra energy? That does not seem to fit in with the great ability of our bodys to store fat... Instead of burning calories, it would seem that it would resort to storing them and remain effecient. Do you know what I am getting at? So, if the body's metabolism slows down with the ammount we eat, then 1) the body isn't that smart after all and needlessly wastes energy, which doesn't line up with how efficient it is at storing body fat. 2) it would have to slow down organs and such things, the result would be getting sick...
    I don't understand what the question is.

    Quote Originally Posted by ArchAngel777

    I guess what I am saying is that there are so many angles one could go with their believes with RDA's for calorie requirements. Some people say 2,000 is plenty and I can attest to that as far as being satisfied, but many others claim 3,000... But whatever the case, if ones metabolism slows down with the ammount of food we eat, then the difference between 2,000 or 3,000 could be absolutely nothing. Thus, if someone is satisfied at 2,000 calories, completely. Then 3,000, even if not gaining weight would not make sense, for the person would be stuffed and lethargic. Again, just another possible view point.

    Hopefully both of these make sense and you can understand the angle I am coming from. Just curious to know your perspective and hopefully you can point to some great research on that.

    Thanks,

    Gabriel
    What is your question? I'm not sure I follow. Are you saying 2000 and 3000 FOR EVERYBODY, or just you?

  24. #23
    Sculpted by Science brickt.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Land of Oz
    Posts
    1,015
    I agree 100% with Built that appetite control is the key to any diet. If you are cutting calories to lose weight, and are sufficiently satisfied throughout the day, things go smoothly, and the only negatives are possible craptastic strength/workouts.
    Poo is also LBM - The Built

  25. #24
    I wannabebig!
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Location
    in my own world
    Posts
    1,818
    is anyone really satisifed while cutting?? except for someone like bcc who cuts on 5000 calories.... deal with the hunger or just take a few drugs to curb it

  26. #25
    Just watch me ... Built's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    9,916
    I managed to do no worse than "peckish" last summer, and I got down to 14%. I figure I'll have to suck it up a bit harder to get down to 10%, but I was pretty comfortable.

    And my appetite is legendary.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •