The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    I didn't say "practical", I said "practicable".

I know at least one woman who is not naturally hungry in the AM, and she's a powerlifter. She relies on AM anorexia for calorie control, so she has available calories for after she trains, when she's hungry.

I don't need to eat very much during the daytime, but I'm FAMISHED at night. So I save daytime calories so I have extra to eat at bedtime.

It's how I was able to successfully diet down for the first time last summer.

Like I said, constrained optimization.

For the record, I'm a staunch breakfast eater! And I don't think I suggested anything but the observation that while from a physiology-based perspective, one strategy may be optimal over another, it only works if you can tolerate it.
    That is where I misunderstood you. However just because you can't tolerate something does not mean you shouldn't do it. That is why so many people fail when it comes implementing proper nutrition strategies. They always feel that there is a something easier out there. Sometimes you have to tolerate a bit of discomfort to see a result.

If you could lock up your subjects and force them to comply, you may find a small advantage. But I'd be surprised if it was much more than that.
    Why do you feel that there would only be a "small" advantage if any between the two scenarios outlined?
    Maki Fit Blog

At Large: Optimize Your Body | Dynamic Conditioning |
    My articles on Wannabebig

"Soli Deo Gloria"
    "Test all things; hold fast what is good.": 1 Thessalonians 5:21

"I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do. And if I do what I do not want to do, I agree that the law is good. As it is, it is no longer I myself who do it, but it is sin living in me. I know that nothing good lives in me, that is, in my sinful nature. For I have the desire to do what is good, but I cannot carry it out. For what I do is not the good I want to do; no, the evil I do not want to do--this I keep on doing. Now if I do what I do not want to do, it is no longer I who do it, but it is sin living in me that does it.
    So I find this law at work: When I want to do good, evil is right there with me. For in my inner being I delight in God's law; but I see another law at work in the members of my body, waging war against the law of my mind and making me a prisoner of the law of sin at work within my members. What a wretched man I am! Who will rescue me from this body of death? Thanks be to God--through Jesus Christ our Lord!"
    Romans 7:14-25

"Judo is not about strength. Yet in the learning curve, all Judokas get strong. Only with time do you learn where to apply that strength."
    The Art of Judo

I know at least one woman who is not naturally hungry in the AM, and she's a powerlifter. She relies on AM anorexia for calorie control, so she has available calories for after she trains, when she's hungry.

I don't need to eat very much during the daytime, but I'm FAMISHED at night. So I save daytime calories so I have extra to eat at bedtime.
    Built, we are looking at this from two diffrent points of view which is interesting. I look at it from my clients perspective and my experience in dealing with people who want to make changes to their body composition. While you are observing others and what they do and using your experiences to make a connection.

I suppose that is maybe why we are drawing this out into such a long discussion.
    Maki Fit Blog

At Large: Optimize Your Body | Dynamic Conditioning |
    My articles on Wannabebig

"Soli Deo Gloria"
    "Test all things; hold fast what is good.": 1 Thessalonians 5:21

"I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do. And if I do what I do not want to do, I agree that the law is good. As it is, it is no longer I myself who do it, but it is sin living in me. I know that nothing good lives in me, that is, in my sinful nature. For I have the desire to do what is good, but I cannot carry it out. For what I do is not the good I want to do; no, the evil I do not want to do--this I keep on doing. Now if I do what I do not want to do, it is no longer I who do it, but it is sin living in me that does it.
    So I find this law at work: When I want to do good, evil is right there with me. For in my inner being I delight in God's law; but I see another law at work in the members of my body, waging war against the law of my mind and making me a prisoner of the law of sin at work within my members. What a wretched man I am! Who will rescue me from this body of death? Thanks be to God--through Jesus Christ our Lord!"
    Romans 7:14-25

"Judo is not about strength. Yet in the learning curve, all Judokas get strong. Only with time do you learn where to apply that strength."
    The Art of Judo

Quote Originally Posted by Maki Riddington
    That is where I misunderstood you. However just because you can't tolerate something does not mean you shouldn't do it. That is why so many people fail when it comes implementing proper nutrition strategies. They always feel that there is a something easier out there. Sometimes you have to tolerate a bit of discomfort to see a result.
    Thank you for your reply - and I agree, a small amount of discomfort is inevitable. But "peckish" isn't the same as "I wanna chew my freaking ARM off". There are DEGREES of discomfort.

I'm all for minimizing them.

So ... no carbs for me in the daytime. Muscle catabolism be damned. In my case, it just ain't worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by Maki

Why do you feel that there would only be a "small" advantage if any between the two scenarios outlined?
    Well, this part is tricky.

While Berardi claims that fat and carb shouldn't be combined in any appreciable amount in a single meal because insulin, being the storage hormone that it is, will shove everything into your cells (muscle, fat, whatever).

McDonald does not espouse this view - he does, however, indicate that partitioning may be optimized by taking advantage of the lowered insulin sensitivity brought on by lower carb consumption until the "anabolic window" from lifting, where insulin sensitivity preferentially allows for partitioning toward muscle tissue. So bring on the insulin!

Different reasons, but the approach is the same: protein and fat for all meals outside the window; protein and carbs for those inside the window. (unless I've read all this stuff wrong. Please somebody correct me if I have).

I believe , based on my readings and personal experience, that this is the case, but for me, the bigger deal is comfort - it's simply an easier way to control my LEGENDARY appetite. I simply do NOT have an off-switch.

If there is, in fact, a significant advantage to eating this way (from a partioning perspective), I'm thrilled. But it's a perk of a more comfortable way of controlling calories, for me at least.

If there was a strategy that was "better" from a partioniong perspective, I wouldn't follow it because this one works, and it's practicable for me because it's comfortable.

If I can't stick to it, it won't work.

Yanno?

wow...still so much to learn, its been great reading all this stuff...still newbie here...lol
    but i too, am not super hungery in the morning...but i prefer to work out at that time, so i down some food. the protien waffles are a wonder. Yes, if only they cooked properly, i wouldn't have flat pancakes. But if i leave the house and dont eat...that is a sure sign for blood sugar levels droppin for me, and it's dangerous if not lame to work out in that state..
    Oriental - In astrology, it refers to the eastern half of the cusp of the ascendant. The planets situated immediately before the rising Sun. Such planets possess exceptional strength.
    NDN-my mother told me that vegetarians are poor hunters...We hunted buffalo, Dene Nation.

I usually find that if i get my carbs in my first meal when cutting the rest of the day on fats is easy. Lots of water, light cardio @ around 8pm and my appetite is easily controlled (and im a BIG eater usually!)

This time round im not using ECA or Clen and its so much easier, with ECA i found that unless i was doing 80+mg's a day my appetite would get out of control.

Calories matter, but where they are coming from matters a hell of alot in regards to retaining muscle tissue.
    The only limits are the one's you place on yourself...

Iced Earth - Stormrider ArchAngel777's Avatar
    I read all of you having trouble with carlorie control and I have to ask myself, is there something wrong with me?

Every since I moved away from calorie containing beverages and went to a high protien diet, I am never hungry. For instance, I eat about 2,100 calories a day, give or take 200 - 300, certainly, for a man of my size, this is near starvation? But, it isn't for me.

Appitite control for me is avoiding foods which cause me to lose self control. Those foods are, refined sugar, donuts, pastries, chips, and the like, all displacement foods for the most part and are very calorie dense. Well, so before my my change of habits, I would easily ingest over 4,000 calories a day and I would STILL be hungry. So, I think hunger often times can be a result of a poor diet. This isn't always the case and isn't in the case of very fit people like "Built".

The last two weeks I have introduced diluted hot cocoa into my diet once I realized how low the GI was with it. So, I have have 4 cups of that a day, but they are not 4 servings, since they are highly diluted. But at any rate, hot cocoa does not create a raging appitite, in fact, it may even suppress it for myself...

When I hear of people eating 3,000 calories day, I don't know how they do it on healthy foods, I would be so stuffed (I tried it, not good feeling).

Transformation
    after reading so much on this forum its overwhelming! its either your going to do it or you won't. I have the motivation I just need the experience and knowledge to back it up.

For me eating right but eating that much is also harder without any type of mass gainer of that sort. Just gotta experiment and see what works for me. I am extremely famished during the morning. So I have to eat something with a good amount of carbs to keep me going throughout the day.
    To rise from the dead; return to life

I'd like to know how whole wheat bread promotes fat loss? Carbs hinder fat loss, always.

I've managed to shed 7 pounds in 16 days on a almost carb-free diet. And to my suprise my strength and staminia is still 100%.
    That's a picture of Scarlett Johansson.

6.9 pounds of water, my friend. Sorry.
    Poo is also LBM - The Built

haven't read it all, but I agree with built here.
    in the summer I ate from the morning to evening around 600 calories when working. But when i got off work I would eat a clean 2000-3000 calorie ravaging fiest. Anything I could find I would eat. And I felt comfortable doing it.

I gained well.

I wannabebig!
    thats nice and all, but we arent taking about puting on muscle, but rather fat loss.

I am a very hard gainer. I foget that others aren't. Even having started at 130 and to where I am, I don't know if I have had much of a bf gain ever.

BIG BOI
    great post!

its the morning and im hunrgy... what do i do? lol

After bulking to the point of feeling sick for most of the day i dnt mind feeling hungry and guess im lucky to the point were i can control it and put it out of my mind.
    my journal
    http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=68545

weight 202 - (bf around 14%)
    PR's
    Bench - 286
    deadlift - new pr on the 23/12/06 190 kilo (430 pound)
    squat - 264 ATF

Goals

200 pound at 10% bf by next summer

Wannabebig Member
    How is carbonated water worse than water?