The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Banned

How on earth do you use FitDay

How you guys use that site and get a truly accurate number of calories and whatnot is beyond me. I type in one thing and 20 things come up...any of which could be what I'm eating. Like I type cottage cheese for example and I have no clue whatsoever what to pick. Am I just a moron?

Anyway, here's the diet I was planning on using for my bulk. I found out from a test on another site that I need 2300 calories a day to maintain my current weight. It says to start at that and gradually add calories until you're gaining 1-2 pounds a week. I'm just going to start at 2500 and work my way up to who knows how many calories I'll need a day to gain mass.

I really, really hate oatmeal so I guess I'll just have to eat oats?

Breakfast:
    Oats
    Cottage Cheese
    whey protein
    water

meal two:

Peanut butter and jelly sandwhich or two
    water

meal three

oats
    whey protein(how many grams?)
    water

workout

Meal four

Salmon/Steak/Chicken Breast/Turkey/Any other kind of fish
    brown rice or baked potato or two
    flax seed oil/fish oil
    2 glasses of water

Meal five

cup and a half of cottage cheese
    oats

If I can figure out how to use FitDay I could tell you how many calories that would be, lol. But are those meals any good? Am I missing anything?
    Last edited by theVict1m; 01-18-2006 at 06:04 PM.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

n00b status
    no veggies?

You can put in your own food at fitday. It's a bitch at first, but once you've done it's pretty smooth.

Lurk and Learn!!!
    The first few weeks or so are a drag, but if you sit down for an hour or so and add "custom foods" by using the nutrition labels on the package, you'll be halfway there.

As for chicken and salmon, etc., you are pretty much at the mercy of Fitday with what they've deemed the nutritional value. All you can do is choose the correct selection of what you ate(fried, baked, skinless) and then figure out how much(oz., cups, tbsp.) you ate.

Once you've done that, it is pretty much point and click, but you do have to put in a little extra effort at first.

CUSTOM FOODS. Without it Fitday would be useless.

So lets say your having your peanut butter sammie in meal 2 (You need some protien in here too, my friend)

You find the nutrition data for your bread, and add it all into Custom Foods. Then do the same for your peanut butter, and your jam if it isn't sugarfree. Once done, you can do things much more accurately.

For Ex:

Meal2
    2 Slices Sunny Days Bread
    2 TBLS Natty PB
    2 TBLS 100% Strawberry Jam
    1 Cup Cottage Cheese

Then Fitday will pump out the data for that food stuffs.

EDIT: Also, it loooks like your fats intake is quite low, and like zero vegetables or fruit. You know those things make you big and strong, hey?
    Last edited by brickt.; 01-18-2006 at 08:33 PM.
    Poo is also LBM - The Built

GETTIN' FIT OR BUST!!!
    I am in my second week of fitday... It gets easier... Also, it doesnt take long to add custom foods. Most of the time I just do that instead of taking the time to search for foods. Like you said, its like they have stuff in their own code or something. Custom foods are the way to go!!

Banned
    What revisions to my diet would you suggest, brickt?

More Vegies, More Good Fat, More Whole Source Protein

Go to www.fitday.com , fill in your food EXACTLY for a day, and post it up here, then I can really help you.
    Poo is also LBM - The Built

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by brickt.
    More Vegies, More Good Fat, More Whole Source Protein

Go to www.fitday.com , fill in your food EXACTLY for a day, and post it up here, then I can really help you.
    I'll have to figure out how to use FitDay first...lol. I still don't understand it...even with the customize foods option. I mean if I ate like a ham and cheese sandwhich...how would I know how many calories were in the lunchmeat...you know what I mean? Or if I had a plate of mash potatoes, meatloaf, and corn...and I didn't make the meal....how would I know how many calories that is? It just seems so strange to me. I admire you people for knowing all of this.

WBB Member
    Quote Originally Posted by theVict1m
    I'll have to figure out how to use FitDay first...lol. I still don't understand it...even with the customize foods option. I mean if I ate like a ham and cheese sandwhich...how would I know how many calories were in the lunchmeat...you know what I mean? Or if I had a plate of mash potatoes, meatloaf, and corn...and I didn't make the meal....how would I know how many calories that is? It just seems so strange to me. I admire you people for knowing all of this.
    Well to answer your first question - If you buy the prepackaged lunch meat (which i wouldn't recommend, it doesn't taste good and isn't really that good for you anyway) it should have a nutrition label on it. If you buy it fresh from the deli, some put a sticker with the nutrition info. on it. If they don't, then just use the fitday entry that corresponds closest to it. You probably won't be off by more than 10%.

As for your second question, there are a few things you can do. The first one is to get a cheap digital scale and weigh the portions. I got mine on ebay for like $10 because I really don't know what 4oz of chicken, beef, etc looks like and I just wanted to know for sure.

The second thing is just to get accustomed to what a cup of corn, green beans, etc. looks like, and guesstimate it.

Banned
    Does it HAVE to be difficult?

LOL!

It's no big deal - but it IS a LOT easier if you're making your own food than if you're buying it - that's why most of us here pretty much eat the same food every day. You weight it, program it in, and you're done.

Banned
    Couldn't someone just eat the right stuff...but just eat until they see gains without tracking the calories and such? I'm not trying to be lazy, but I just can't see myself having the ambition to go out and buy something to weigh my food and then weigh my food everyday, and then enter it into FitDay.com

Makes you wonder how people years and years ago gained weight and got bigger. They just ate and lifted weights.

WBB Member
    Quote Originally Posted by theVict1m
    Couldn't someone just eat the right stuff...but just eat until they see gains without tracking the calories and such? I'm not trying to be lazy, but I just can't see myself having the ambition to go out and buy something to weigh my food and then weigh my food everyday, and then enter it into FitDay.com

Makes you wonder how people years and years ago gained weight and got bigger. They just ate and lifted weights.
    Yea but if you don't keep track, how do you really know you are eating the same or more today than you were yesterday? You don't, unless you eat the EXACT same things every day, or have memorized the caloric values of everything you eat, and are very good with mental math.

If I don't keep track then I tend to greatly overestimate how much I am eating, which is not a good situation to be in if you want to gain weight.

Also ambition? Just go to www.ebay.com, buy a scale, and wait for it to be shipped. That doesn't take much ambition.
    Last edited by SpecialK; 01-20-2006 at 07:14 PM.