Thread: Role of carbohydrates

Wannabebig New Member

Role of carbohydrates

I recently was speaking to a friend of mine from school who has now trained to be a personal trainer. He reccommends that I eat 50% carb, 30% protein and 20% fats so I can bulk up. I was thinking that I didnt need many carbs but he says I need a lot.

I have trained before and got to 185-190lbs then I quit training and am now back to a mesely 170lbs. I have no fat on me whatsoever.

Is he right with those ratios? Also whats the best way of increasing my apetite? Should I just eat til im nearly sick to expand my stomach?

Protein: 1g per pound of body weight
    Fat: 0.5g per pound of body weight
    Fill in the rest of your calories with whatever you want.
    Facebook - BW166 SQ585 BP405 DL660 CL310

ratios dont matter, calories do.
    "It is often said, mainly by the "no-contests", that although there is no positive evidence for the existence of God, nor is there evidence against his existence. So it is best to keep an open mind and be agnostic. At first sight that seems an unassailable position, at least in the weak sense of Pascal's wager. But on second thought it seems a cop-out, because the same could be said of Father Christmas and tooth fairies. There may be fairies at the bottom of the garden. There is no evidence for it, but you can't prove that there aren't any, so shouldn't we be agnostic with respect to fairies?"

Richard Dawkins

"Out of all of the sects in the world, we notice an uncanny coincidence: the overwhelming majority just happen to choose the one that their parents belong to. Not the sect that has the best evidence in its favour, the best miracles, the best moral code, the best cathedral, the best stained glass, the best music: when it comes to choosing from the smorgasbord of available religions, their potential virtues seem to count for nothing, compared to the matter of heredity. This is an unmistakable fact; nobody could seriously deny it. Yet people with full knowledge of the arbitrary nature of this heredity, somehow manage to go on believing in their religion, often with such fanaticism that they are prepared to murder people who follow a different one."

Richard Dawkins

"Bah. You know I hate poor people."

Paul Stagg

Yes and no. Some people respond better to eating more carbs while others to protein.
    Overall, if you aren't eating enough calories the scale isn't going to budge an inch.
    Maki Fit Blog

At Large: Optimize Your Body | Dynamic Conditioning |
    My articles on Wannabebig

"Soli Deo Gloria"
    "Test all things; hold fast what is good.": 1 Thessalonians 5:21

"I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do. And if I do what I do not want to do, I agree that the law is good. As it is, it is no longer I myself who do it, but it is sin living in me. I know that nothing good lives in me, that is, in my sinful nature. For I have the desire to do what is good, but I cannot carry it out. For what I do is not the good I want to do; no, the evil I do not want to do--this I keep on doing. Now if I do what I do not want to do, it is no longer I who do it, but it is sin living in me that does it.
    So I find this law at work: When I want to do good, evil is right there with me. For in my inner being I delight in God's law; but I see another law at work in the members of my body, waging war against the law of my mind and making me a prisoner of the law of sin at work within my members. What a wretched man I am! Who will rescue me from this body of death? Thanks be to God--through Jesus Christ our Lord!"
    Romans 7:14-25

"Judo is not about strength. Yet in the learning curve, all Judokas get strong. Only with time do you learn where to apply that strength."
    The Art of Judo

Quote Originally Posted by Maki Riddington
    Yes and no. Some people respond better to eating more carbs while others to protein.
    Overall, if you aren't eating enough calories the scale isn't going to budge an inch.
    yes, i'm probably one of the few that responds better to carbs
    You will soon see Getfit in OngII Flying Knee Thingys of Doom see if the feisty greek can survive the kicks of Steel Leg From Shaolin Soccer,Dim Mak(def touch) from ChungLee,and Flying Crane by Daniel-san-El Pietro

Spray it with windex greek!-the famous El Pietro

You be quiet or i'll clean and press your narrow francophone self-Callahan

Lift for gains,not glory.Control your ego and the weight

What a strong girl! This leads me to believe you can severly injure most of the male population-Nick Hatfield

You're blazing white hot,anyone ever tell you that? Sometimes i think you have fingers faster then Superman when it comes to posts on WBB forums.
    Hot in terms of both speed and... well new hotness- Stash

gain 50lbs-Anthony

Quote Originally Posted by getfit
    yes, i'm probably one of the few that responds better to carbs
    By this you mean your body grows better when you eat more carbs rather than more protein? Or that the diet is easier to control? Or both...?
    If my calculations are correct SLINKY + ESCULATOR = EVERLASTING FUN
    Steroid Info Click Here
    The Truth About Steroids (Video) Click Here
    Rules for Women to Follow (Video) Click Here

Transformation
    Quote Originally Posted by Maki Riddington
    if you aren't eating enough calories the scale isn't going to budge an inch.
    generically? is there a table that we should somewhat follow if we've not found our maintenance calories? for instance...

170 lb - 2000 (+ / -)
    180 lb - 2150 ...
    190 lb - 2300 ...
    200 lb - 2450 ...
    210 lb - 2600 ...

The reason I ask is because I've recently begun to track my calories and the amount of protein/carb/fat in my everyday eating. Is this how I should start this, and in two weeks make adjustments?
    To rise from the dead; return to life

Provided you are eating enough protein (i.e. the recommended 1g / lb of bodyweight), the limiting factor in muscle building is going to be energy, and carbs are a good source of this.

Quote Originally Posted by Resurrector
    The reason I ask is because I've recently begun to track my calories and the amount of protein/carb/fat in my everyday eating. Is this how I should start this, and in two weeks make adjustments?
    Yes, there is no table that will give you an accurate number. Too many variables (bf%, training, work, types of food you eat, how much sleep you get, etc, etc).

Track your calories and weight for 1-2 weeks. Adjust from there.
    Facebook - BW166 SQ585 BP405 DL660 CL310

Quote Originally Posted by Y0yo
    By this you mean your body grows better when you eat more carbs rather than more protein? Or that the diet is easier to control? Or both...?
    both i would say, i get enough protein in my diet,my carbs are high though, it seems to be working well for me
    You will soon see Getfit in OngII Flying Knee Thingys of Doom see if the feisty greek can survive the kicks of Steel Leg From Shaolin Soccer,Dim Mak(def touch) from ChungLee,and Flying Crane by Daniel-san-El Pietro

Spray it with windex greek!-the famous El Pietro

You be quiet or i'll clean and press your narrow francophone self-Callahan

Lift for gains,not glory.Control your ego and the weight

What a strong girl! This leads me to believe you can severly injure most of the male population-Nick Hatfield

You're blazing white hot,anyone ever tell you that? Sometimes i think you have fingers faster then Superman when it comes to posts on WBB forums.
    Hot in terms of both speed and... well new hotness- Stash

gain 50lbs-Anthony

I feel more alert and less sleepy when my carbs are high. When I cut again (which will be after this weekend) they will be what I cut back on the most, of course, but I'm never going 'low carb' again. I just felt like crap.
    The Reconstruction Project (Journal)

Age: 34, Height: 5'4, Weight: 185, BF: somewhere between 15 and 45%

Weightlifting Start Date: July 26, 2005 - Bench 95 x 6, Dead 110 x 8, Smith Squat 180 x 8
    Bests: Bench 185 x 8, Dead 400 x 1, Zercher Squat 295 x 3

Stop thinking and go lift - Paul Stagg

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny-UK
    I recently was speaking to a friend of mine from school who has now trained to be a personal trainer. He reccommends that I eat 50% carb, 30% protein and 20% fats so I can bulk up. I was thinking that I didnt need many carbs but he says I need a lot.

I have trained before and got to 185-190lbs then I quit training and am now back to a mesely 170lbs. I have no fat on me whatsoever.

Is he right with those ratios? Also whats the best way of increasing my apetite? Should I just eat til im nearly sick to expand my stomach?
    He probably reccomended high carbs because carbohydrates are protein sparring. If your using carbs for energy it is less likely that your body will use protein for energy and you need that protein to build and repair your muscles.
    Last edited by waynis; 01-19-2006 at 11:28 AM.
    Never Giving In.

Quote Originally Posted by ShockBoxer
    I feel more alert and less sleepy when my carbs are high. When I cut again (which will be after this weekend) they will be what I cut back on the most, of course, but I'm never going 'low carb' again. I just felt like crap.
    Sooooo interesting how different this is for individuals. Carbs to me are yummy, but if I mess up the timing, they make me hungry and sleepy.

Shock, just to humour me - did you go high or low fat when you tried low carb the last time?

Well, since it was your advice... high fat all the way. LBM of 130 and I'd take in 70+ grams of fat a day. Had to take something to fill in the calories. 1/4 or 1/3 cup of dry roasted unsalted peanuts is a staple of my diet as much as a morning and evening whey shake is.

That's one thing my month and maintenance and failed half month of bulk showed... as SOON as I upped my carbs to 180+ grams a day my plateaued lifts started climbing again.

edit: Here's what I'm going to try and cut with.

Total: 2205
    Fat: 94 842 39%
    Sat: 34 306 14%
    Poly: 10 93 4%
    Mono: 16 144 7%
    Carbs: 141 553 26%
    Fiber: 3 0 0%
    Protein: 193 770 36%
    Alcohol: 0 0 0%
    Last edited by ShockBoxer; 01-19-2006 at 12:02 PM.

Weightlifting Start Date: July 26, 2005 - Bench 95 x 6, Dead 110 x 8, Smith Squat 180 x 8

Well, since it was your advice... high fat all the way. LBM of 130 and I'd take in 70+ grams of fat a day. Had to take something to fill in the calories. 1/4 or 1/3 cup of dry roasted unsalted peanuts is a staple of my diet as much as a morning and evening whey shake is.
    Shock, on low (under 100g) carbs, 70g of fat isn't very high. I have about 110-115 lbs LBM, and I usually consume 80-100g of fat, sometimes higher on low carb days. I'd be uncomfortable as hell if I kept my fats at half a gram per pound LBM on low carb days.

That's one thing my month and maintenance and failed half month of bulk showed... as SOON as I upped my carbs to 180+ grams a day my plateaued lifts started climbing again.
    Not sure what your calories were during this time, or your macros.

edit: Here's what I'm going to try and cut with.

Total: 2205
    Fat: 94 842 39%
    Sat: 34 306 14%
    Poly: 10 93 4%
    Mono: 16 144 7%
    Carbs: 141 553 26%
    Fiber: 3 0 0%
    Protein: 193 770 36%
    Alcohol: 0 0 0%
    This kind of breakdown is pretty close to how my numbers average out - I go higher carb/cals (slightly lower fats) on the lifting days, lower cals/carbs (slightly higher fats) on the off days.

Quote Originally Posted by Built
    Sooooo interesting how different this is for individuals. Carbs to me are yummy, but if I mess up the timing, they make me hungry and sleepy.
    Agreed, carbs have a tendency make me lethargic.

During my month at 2400 (which I thought was maintenance but might actually have been a hundred cals low or more) my macros were pretty much 30/30/30 (with the extra 10% floating between carbs and protein at random). My fitday pie slices tend to be equal fairly often.

It could easily have simply been (and probably was) the extra 600 cals a day providing more energy, of course, but those 600 were primarily added by way of carbs (since my fats and proteins were .5 and 1 already I went nuts with christmas goodies).

im trying higher fats.. been drizzling olive oil on everything.......

carbs make me retain alot of water
    I don't have time. I make time.

Transformation
    Indeed, carbs also make me retain a lot of water.
    To rise from the dead; return to life