The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Powerlifting Meet Prep

Ok well i have saturday on the 17th a powerlifting meet it is Bench and Dead and was wanting to know the best things to do to prep for a comp or meet any advice i would appreciate

thank you
    Last edited by JAROD; 01-17-2006 at 03:18 PM.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

17th of what
    Remember, to get big, you have to get strong. The two are interconnected. Lift heavy, work hard, and size will come. Like night follows day. It works. Arnold
    Do work son. Big Black (Rob and Big)

this week Jan
    age-14 weight-145 height-5'9
    bench 190lbs (raw)
    squat 285lbs (raw)
    deadlift 280lbs (raw)

400m dash 67.3secs
    vertical leap 23 inches.

goals
    bench 205lbs (raw)
    squat 315lbs(suit @ wraps)
    deadlift 315lbs (suit)

400m dash 65.secs
    vertical leap 25.

Journal-http://www.wannabebigforums.com/show...93#post1075493

Well thats pretty soon, your competing in the 148 correct?

I would say this, and I think this advice has helped kev out with his first meet.

Always ALWAYS open with a weight thats lighter then the one you know you can nail. IE if you max out bench at 250 then do something like 185, just so your on the board. Then split the difference on your next attempt and go all out on your last. This way any curves that are thrown in can be felt out throught the three attempts.

Kind of slack on the hydration until you weigh in, most times there are an hour to a few hours inbetween weigh in and lifting time. So basically nill the water weight down (if its a problem) until weigh in then hydrate heavily. If weight isnt a problem then make sure your VERY well hydrated from up to 2 days in advance.

Eat a big meal of carbs right before you lift (again if weight isnt an issue). Its fuel man, and you'll be glad you have it.

Sleep VERY well, get atleast 10 hours for up to 2 days in advance.

Just my .02$, take as you wish. I have never competed before save a highschool football powerlift meet.

Quote Originally Posted by WBBIRL
    Always ALWAYS open with a weight thats lighter then the one you know you can nail. IE if you max out bench at 250 then do something like 185, just so your on the board. Then split the difference on your next attempt and go all out on your last. This way any curves that are thrown in can be felt out throught the three attempts.
    This is excellent advice. The most important thing is to get one legal score in all 3 lifts. So make the first one something you KNOW beyond a shadow of a doubt that you can do; that way you're assured of a legal total. When you've done that opening lift, and you know how it felt, judge your 2nd and 3rd attempts accordingly.
    "The female of the species is more deadly than the male."

My attempts at lifting heavy objects

Current maxes:

Squat 145 kg (320 lbs)
    Bench 67.5 kg (149 lbs)
    DL: 142.5 kg (314 lbs)

...oh, and I'm a girl.

Agreed, for instance at my first competition, in the gym I was able to pause rep 305 for a single but at the meet I opened up with 275 which I knew I could smoke and did. Progress to something heavier that your confident you can nail which at that meet was 285 for me which I hit no prob. Your last lift is the hailmarry, I'd gotten 305 in the gym but your nerves can get the best of you at a comp and I missed 300 on my third.

Banned
    There are two ways you can look at the pressure. Harness it and drive the weight like no tommorow, ALL EYES ON YOU BABY!. Or you can let it get the best of you and get a lil shaky. Just know yourself, why you are there, how ****in hard you worked and show those other pussies they ain't got **** on you!

As you can tell I'm one that likes to really REALLY fire up before competing. Its all really fun in the end tho.

So just have a good time with it bro. Best of luck.

well i plan to open with 155 my last upper body i put 170 up pretty good so i dont see any probs with 150 or 155 and weight is some what of an issue i need to cut id say 3lbs wicth should be no prob i plan to run it off befor weighin and another thing weight in is friday morning the meet is saturday the only meet we weight in the same day as the meet will be if i go to state (missed it by a few lbs last year) so even tho i have to cut i still have 24hrs to eat and drink all i need so i understand carbs and lots of good fluids wicth i will do and the pressure thing i do fine most the time do better in meets then in the gym or anything not allwas but most the time but thanks for the advice guys ill give it all i got and tell ya how i do

another thing would something like a protian bar be good to eat i know i have some im not sure the carbs i know they have 25grams of protian in them just wundering what things like that would be good befor a meet and then i heard creatine(not sure spelling is right) is very good to put more weight on your max's but it takes times to notice those things i know but just wundering if things like the protian bars would be good the days leading up to the meet
    Last edited by JAROD; 01-17-2006 at 08:48 PM.

Hard to know exactly what kind of advice you're asking for but...
    *Between now and the meet (this weekend?), the only thing you should be doing is resting.
    *If you need to make weight, try not to dehydrate too much and make sure to take in plenty of liquids after the weigh-in (early weigh-ins are the best if you have them!)
    *Pay attention at the rules meeting prior to the competition - sometimes you can get an idea of what kind of pause they'll be looking for
    *Wait for the commands "Press!" and "Rack!". Unless you time them perfectly, you'll probably get redlighted - if you pause too long, you might miss the weight. Watching the judges give commands to others before you might make it easier for you to "anticipate" the calls.
    *It's nice to have your own hand-off person if you can - someone you're used to training with.
    *Don't change your diet much the day before or of the meet - the last thing you want is an upset stomach on comp day because you made changes!
    A child does not learn to squat from the top down. In other words, he does not suddenly make a conscious decision one day to squat. Actually, he is squatting one day and make the conscious decision to stand. Squatting precedes standing in the developmental sequence. This is the way a child's brain learns to use the body as the child develops movement patterns. Therefore, a child is probably crawling, rocks back into a squatting position with the back completely relaxed and the hips completely flexed, and stands when he has enough hip strength. This approach makes a lot of sense and can be applied to relearning the deep squat movement if it is lost. -Gray Cook
    Lifting Clips: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=johnnymnemonic2
    Blog: http://squatrx.blogspot.com/

I have to especially agree with the "wait for the commands" part.

Especially if it's your first time. When I competed, I was unsure what I could press with a shirt on, since I'd used it only twice.

So I opened raw with much lower weight than my raw max. I pressed it like a warm-up rep, also paused for a rediculously long time, and proceeded to make the mental mistake of racking it before the judge said "rack."

This screwed up everything as far as strategy goes. Now with one lift bombed, I made my second attempt raw as well, going just below my raw max. Which left only one final attempt in the shirt, not knowing how much I could do. For my final attempt shirted, I made the attempt as if it were a warmup rep as well.

So if I hadn't screwed up my first attempt, and saw how easily I made my shirted attempt, I could have probably risked 40-50 lbs more on my third attempt and possibly made it.

Oh, and don't get baby powder on your hands before you head out for deadlifts!
    Deadlifts are like women, they'll hurt you everytime, but they'll also make you a man. - Me

Friends don't let friends do dumbell kickbacks. - Me

ElP is the smartest man in the world. - Gyno Rhino

A low voter turnout is an indication of fewer people going to the polls. -- Dan Quayle

If do right, no can defense. -- Mr. Miyagi

Deep Thoughts by Jack Handey:

I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it.

Is there anything more beautiful than a beautiful, beautiful flamingo, flying across in front of a beautiful sunset? And he's carrying a beautiful rose in his beak, and also he's carrying a very beautiful painting with his feet. And also, you're drunk.

Current FFFA Enforcer

Good luck bro.
    Current Stats --------------- Training Goals: Improve athletic conditioning.
    Squat - 305lbs - 1/23/06 ----- 335
    Deadlift - 415lbs - 2/4/06 ---- 435
    Bench - 90s*7 ----------------- 100s*5
    Weight - 208 ------------------ 190
    Height - 5'10"

My Journal|My Routine|My FitDay
    WBBB|"Many of life's failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up" - Thomas Edison

thanks you all ill take all the advice and hopefully come back with a medal right now all focus as swicthed to weight i weighed in at 150.2 i need to be 145.4 by 2mmaro morning i went and ran a mile with a bunch of cloths lost about 1lbs then went and got in a sauna think i lost 1 maybe 2lbs in there and im going back to the sauna at about 8 then come back go to sleep and when i wake up to get weighted in hopfully be 145.4 ill update 2mmaro on if i made weight if any advice you got please share i need all the help i can get thanks

Punctuation is a beautiful thing. Use it!

But as far as the meet goes, Sensei and everyone else had pretty good advice. Some things I'd add:

*be sure to time it right in getting your equipment on before your place in a flight, and have someone help you
    *don't warm up too soon or too late before your first attempt. You want to be warmed up but not fatigued for your first attempt.
    *eat little bits of food continually throughout the day, but nothing that you aren't used to eating

In choosing weights for attempts, I agree in that you should always be very conservative on that first one. For the second (assuming I made the first), I usually go for something equal or just slightly above my PR, considering with the adrenaline and extra week of rest before the comp I usually make it. I always use my last one as my go-for-broke attempt and try to set an even bigger PR depending on how tough my second attempt felt. Doing this has given me good results.
    5'9" 195 lbs
    DL 600x1
    SQ 490x1 (raw)
    BP 430x1 (shirted), 320x1 (raw)
    SN 209x1 C+J 250x1

My Training Journal
    www.illinipowerlifting.org

"Most people don't want to learn new things. They only want to hear about things that validate crap they're already doing." - Mike Boyle

Iced Earth - Stormrider ArchAngel777's Avatar
    Do you have to use gear to compete? I was thinking of entering a PL meet, but I don't want to wear any gear. I understand this will effect my numbers, but I don't really care about that.

lol sorry for no Punctuation i just get typeing and dont do it, lol and im not good with it. but i made weight for the 145lbs class cut 5lbs in one night to make the class. and ArchAngel777 i dont know of any PL meets that make you wear any equipment but not sure. and thanks for all the advice i think ill do good

You dont need gear to compete no, im going to a competition next weekend and im benching and odds are i'll be one of one or two people not using equipment. Odds are I wont win against shirted benchers in my division but its still really fun to just go and compete. There are RAW meets you can go to, not sure where though.

like WBB said sleep and eat good and start with a light weight, good luck, man i wanna go to a meet!
    2000 or bust

well you all i did alright got 155 bench (my opener) then 165 couldnt get up and on 3rd try couldnt get it up then dead lifts opened with 245 got it went for 265 got it went for 270 and feel wasnt enough to get me a ribbon but i guess im happy with it i felt like my bench could had been alot better tho

Good work Jarod. It's tough to get on that platform and display yourself. My first meet I had to pretend there was nobody else in the room, which was hard because it was a fairly large crowd.

This is just the first step. Hopefully you learned something and you can improve on those numbers for your next meet.

Stats: Age: 34 Weight: 205 Height: 5'6"
    Gym PRs: Squat:635 Bench:560 Deadlift:495
    Meet PRs: Squat:575 Bench:520 Deadlift:510 Total: 1605@220

Yah and he had a douche bag like me in the crowd cheerin him on. Good thing about benching is your back is to everyone... with deadlift you stand their in front of everyone and make your ridiculous "takin a shiit" face for everyone to see. Good work though man meets are always fun regardless of how you do.

yeah i think i might of down better if i didnt cut so much weight so fast but the crowd thing dont bother me at all if anything it makes me do better becuse it pumps you up and makes you want to do your best but i have another next week then a month after that a bench dead squat meet then few weeks after that depeanding on the bench dead squat will be state hopefully ill make it this year
    age-14 weight-145 height-5'9
    bench 190lbs (raw)
    squat 285lbs (raw)
    deadlift 280lbs (raw)

400m dash 67.3secs
    vertical leap 23 inches.

goals
    bench 205lbs (raw)
    squat 315lbs(suit @ wraps)
    deadlift 315lbs (suit)

400m dash 65.secs
    vertical leap 25.

Journal-http://www.wannabebigforums.com/show...93#post1075493

Quote Originally Posted by KevinStarke
    with deadlift you stand their in front of everyone and make your ridiculous "takin a shiit" face for everyone to see. .
    I think I smile right upto 369lbs, at 370 I look like I have explosive diahorrea.

Last meet I lost the groove on 425 and started screaming until the weight got up. That sure got the crowd fired up.

Stats: Age: 34 Weight: 205 Height: 5'6"
    Gym PRs: Squat:635 Bench:560 Deadlift:495
    Meet PRs: Squat:575 Bench:520 Deadlift:510 Total: 1605@220