The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Its no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: absinth

absinth

i have heard storys and seen moives where kids would go into a bar and drink a green drink called absinth and get "bit by the green fairy". Just wondering if anyone out there has tryed it, and what there experences are with it. its not legal in the states to my understanding.
    6'6" 235
    Follow me on Twitter!
    My Artist page
    Creatine is Overrated Social Group
    supplements are used to supplement!!
    "why do i train so hard? so i can play harder!"
    -kobe bryant

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

No Green Fairy for me, quite potent. A pleasent aniseed taste too it.

i think the green fairy was just for the movie.. it IS a hallucinogen though i believe.
    I don't have time. I make time.

If you do it, don't start cutting off bodyparts like your ear.

I've had it, its something to experience for an occasional treat.

check this out:

http://www.erowid.org/plants/wormwood/wormwood.shtml
    Last edited by clawhammer_33; 01-17-2006 at 04:28 AM.
    Face it: biceps are the muscle that classifies you as a muscle man.

Striding across the fields, carrying a vorpal blade, cometh Clawhammer! And he gives a bloodthirsty bellow:

"As sure as predators devour prey, I shall paint the town a sanguine shade of doom!!!"
    Hilarity

Senior Member Canadian Crippler's Avatar
    What exactly is in it?
    Last edited by Canadian Crippler; 01-17-2006 at 04:58 AM. Reason: Bah, I'll let him be :D
    "I added some db curls with the pink weights for a bit of a burn." - Rookiebldr

"im assuming the holy (big) 3 are: curls, bench, legs?" - Saggas

"had a huge ass burn on my triceps while I was doing those kickbacks, so they'll likely be staying with my exercise program." - Zearoth

"most of my burned calories coming from something called Basal. Wtf does a leaf have to do with any of it?" - Votorx

"We have a lot of people like that on our campus, all hippies and things, that go around preaching against corporations, jocks, preps, accountants, and anyone else that feels the need to shower more than occasionally." - Shankerr

"Damn man why are some women just so demonic and evil.. its like you wanna get a stake and mallet and an erection at the same time." - WBBIRL

Many of the great writers used to get high on absinth before writing their masterworks.

The crap you get in most western bars aint the real thing. They serve some of the good **** in eastern europe, gurantued to knock you out.

I've had absinthe. It's still legal in a lot of countries, but not in the U.S. It tastes a lot like uzo. Nice buzz.
    A child does not learn to squat from the top down. In other words, he does not suddenly make a conscious decision one day to squat. Actually, he is squatting one day and make the conscious decision to stand. Squatting precedes standing in the developmental sequence. This is the way a child's brain learns to use the body as the child develops movement patterns. Therefore, a child is probably crawling, rocks back into a squatting position with the back completely relaxed and the hips completely flexed, and stands when he has enough hip strength. This approach makes a lot of sense and can be applied to relearning the deep squat movement if it is lost. -Gray Cook
    Lifting Clips: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=johnnymnemonic2
    Blog: http://squatrx.blogspot.com/

True absinthe contains an indredient (herb?) called Wormwood, which is the cause of the drug like effects.

I know you can buy "Wormwood Free Absinthe" here in Australia, so I'm sure it's available in the States, but I'm afraid I can't remember what it's called.
    Poo is also LBM - The Built

Banned
    i bought a case of various types of absinthe from europe. you'll die of alcohol poisoning long, long before you trip off of wormwood. its a novelty liquor that often tastes absolutely awful - this varies with the quality, naturally. 2-3 of the 12 we got were very good whereas the rest were painful

This stuff sounds sweet.
    20 years old
    6' 1"
    Current Weight:175 (10/28/08)
    Clean Bulk

Absinthe is the most overrated **** ever. Save your moneyand just get floored off a bottle of 151.
    My sig scared getfit.

Banned
    beholder is right on the money

I have heard that here in the uk u have to have a specific license to seel it as its almost double the strength of vodka and bars are technically only allowed to serve each person 3. then again its the law to not serve drunk people lol
    my journal
    http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=68545

weight 202 - (bf around 14%)
    PR's
    Bench - 286
    deadlift - new pr on the 23/12/06 190 kilo (430 pound)
    squat - 264 ATF

Goals

200 pound at 10% bf by next summer

Wannabebig Member
    from what i read, it's supposed to be some real crucial stuff. (the stuff that illegal here in the states)

Quote Originally Posted by Sensei
    It tastes a lot like uzo. Nice buzz.
    Ouzo.....now that's some good stuff. Mmmmm.
    I know you're half-crazy, but I wish you'd go all the way.

"Razorcut, as usual, is 100% correct." --- ectx

"It is those who know little, and not those who know much, who so positively assert that this or that problem will never be solved by science. --- Charles Darwin

it's strong, good flavor. It's a mild hallucinogen, but you really need to driknk at least 3 or 4 shots of it to get any kind of effect from it. I'm a fan.

Stats: Age: 34 Weight: 205 Height: 5'6"
    Gym PRs: Squat:635 Bench:560 Deadlift:495
    Meet PRs: Squat:575 Bench:525 Deadlift:510 Total: 1605@220

Gotta love that wikipedia!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Absinthe
    There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
    Two wrongs don't make a right, but three rights make a left.
    Are you eating while you are reading this? You should be... --hrdgain81
    Remember, kids, if you type well the Grammar Fairy will leave a quarter under your pillow. The Blue Book of Grammar and Punctuation

Well, the Blog's (finally) back (again!): Love and Hope and Sex and Dreams Feel free to stop by and comment.
    Here is my newly-created World of Warcraft Blog: BG's WoW Blog. Once again, feel free to stop by and comment.

You cannot legally purchase absinthe in the United States. Absinth* (no e) is available online and still for retail sale in many places in Europe. Absinthe* (notice the e) is not available in any country that is a part of the European Union. Some companies have taken to naming their Absinth Absinthe so that they can still sell it in Western Europe but traditionally the 'e' at the end was to signify the presence of wormwood in the drink. Originally it was very potent and 1-2 shots for a normal size individual was said to create an acid like response. Now, even absinthe with wormwood is significantly less potent and is more consumed for the experience of "Drinking absinthe" then for the accompanying hallucinogenic effects.

You can purchase it in several different strengths ranging from 50% to 90% alcohol. The standard green absinth that is served in bars in Europe is a 70% alcohol, non-wormwood, black licorice flavored drink. It is most often poured into a shot glass, then a special spoon is placed on the top of the glass and a sugar cube is placed on the spoon and lit on fire. After the sugar cube has burned down to around 1/3 of its original size the spoon is tipped over and the melted sugar is stirred into the drink. At this point, you consume the stirred drink which is often very hot and has tendency to burn your tongue.

In regards to the different strengths, 80% is usually red absinth which is very very strong and the 90% is typically black and is no longer sold in most western European countries. It is still available in the Netherlands and can be purchased from Czech on towards the east in most countries.

Had it in Italy. It was nasty ****...

D 435 / S 340 / B 305

Journal

"I avoid talking to normal people about this stuff as much as possible. It's usually a waste of time." - HahnB

"OMG HE EETS 2 MUCH0RZ!!111 O NOES HE EETS TEH FATS!!!111" - PowerManDL

"Test does a body good." - Severed Ties

Yeah I've heard that the stuff from Eastern Europe is a lot better than the stuff from Western Europe. I've wanted to try this stuff for a long time (ever since I read the story about Tucker Max trying it) but have never come across it. Does anyone know how difficult it is to get into the states? I would imagine it's pretty hard but I'm not sure.
    ...........||High School||.....||July '05||.......||January '09||
    Bench.........225x1...............275x1.................?
    Squat...........?.......................?....................365x5
    Deadlift........?.....................315x5...............435x5
    Weight........180...................192...................185
    BF%.............?......................12.....................12
    Time to Get Ripped
    Pictures of Me

My friend went to Europe and brought back a bottle. It tasted like ****, it wasn't the good absinth and I was already drunk so I didn't halucinate.

Apparently, if you want to feel the halucinogenic effects you shouldn't take more than 2 or 3 shots or the drunk will overcome the halucinogenic effects. I think you can get it in the states over the internet. (DISCLAIMER: All of the info contained in this paragraph was taken from Maxim)
    quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur

I can't believe nobody's said it yet:

"Absinth makes the heart grow fonder."

<ducks to avoid shower of rotting tomatoes>

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Russow
    It is most often poured into a shot glass, then a special spoon is placed on the top of the glass and a sugar cube is placed on the spoon and lit on fire. After the sugar cube has burned down to around 1/3 of its original size the spoon is tipped over and the melted sugar is stirred into the drink. At this point, you consume the stirred drink which is often very hot and has tendency to burn your tongue.
    yeah, i saw some people doing that same exact thing to the stuff that's legal here in the US. I swore they were making crack or something, it was crazy, lol.

If you hallucinate it is because of the incredibly high alcohol content. For health and safety reasons the stuff you buy bottled contains such a tiny amount of thujone, it's not going to make you trip out sorry

We used to make our own from an herb kit and everclear. It tasted like ******* but certainly gets you messed up. Any more messed up than the times we were lazy and just drank the everclear with Koolaid? I didn't notice a difference.

It sure was funny to watch the hillbillies we gave it to though mix it with Miller High Life and chug it, then turn green in the face and pass out.
    HEY, WHA HAPPENED?!

Quote Originally Posted by Built
    I can't believe nobody's said it yet:

"Absinth makes the heart grow fonder."

<ducks to avoid shower of rotting tomatoes>
    :snicker:

Stats: Age: 34 Weight: 205 Height: 5'6"
    Gym PRs: Squat:635 Bench:560 Deadlift:495
    Meet PRs: Squat:575 Bench:525 Deadlift:510 Total: 1605@220