Thread: deadlifts....

GETTIN' FIT OR BUST!!!

deadlifts....

I just started WBB1... On Monday it had me do "deadlifts"... Now on Wednesday it is saying "straight leg deadlifts".... To me it seems like these are very similar. I took a look at the explanations and video clip... I am just wondering if there is something that I need to make sure I am doing different between the two...obviously the Weds workout says "straight leg deadlifts", but your legs seem pretty straight on the "deadlifts" as well. Also, advantages/disadvantages of using a smith machine for these....

Thanks, Ray

Stronglikebull or full of?
    Shep - Deads, bending at the knee's. SLDLs - knees locked out straight targets different muscles. Built, whom you will come to know in this forum is recommending passing on the Straight Legs and doing Romanian Dead Lifts. Many of us listen to her directive because, well look at her pics she knows what she is talking about. Yes, I said she!!
    "If you tell the truth, you don't have to remember anything."

Mark Twain

"The price of success is hard work, dedication to the job at hand and the determination that whether we win or lose, we have applied the best of ourselves to the task at hand."

Vince Lombardi

http://www.fitday.com/WebFit/PublicJ...wner=BigOldDad

Banned
    well bigoldad technically its not locked out straight...but we all get the idea :P

they are very different... I would check out stuff around here but also check out exrx.net. Check out the videos for each and I'm sure you will see the difference. I also agree with doing romanian deads. Once you do both you will also notice the difference.

GETTIN' FIT OR BUST!!!
    ok I have spent the past half hour looking into these deadlifts... Here is what I have gathered... look correct or no??

Normal Deadlifts: your legs bend more than the other lifts, back is straight, go to the floor.

Straight Leg Straight Back: Simply keep everthing straight until you feel your back abou to bend...then you reverse the motion.

Straight Leg Deadlifts: Keep legs straight, go all the way down to the floor, you back is pretty much forced to bend.

Romanian: Butt goes back, back straight, legs bend slightly, take bar down to about shins...then back up...

IS THIS IT???? I hope so. Now I just need to figure out what one to do for back...and what one to do for leg day!!!!

Deadlift: squat down to the bar, chin up, chest out, back arched. Stand up using legs and hips.

SLDL: you can either take it off a rack or do a normal deadlift. Once you are standing with the barbell in front of you, knees slightly bent but legs locked, push your ass back, chin up, chest out, back arched. Your legs should not move. How low you bring the barbell is dependent on your flexibility. Some people can touch the floor, others can't. Don't worry about it.

As for back/leg day ... deadlifts work everything. Put them in your "everything" day.
    Facebook - BW166 SQ585 BP405 DL660 CL310

GETTIN' FIT OR BUST!!!
    Im just doing them on the days WBB1 calls for... Thats what started this mess... I want to differentiate between the deadlifts on the Monday workout (back) and the Wednesday workout (legs)....

Okay, are the explanations clear?

GETTIN' FIT OR BUST!!!
    Pretty much... I am just not sure which version to do on what day, ya know? I need one that focuses on back...one that focuses on legs... Thanks

Traditional deadlifts on back day. SLDL on leg day since these hit the hamstrings harder.

Banned
    anthony, what do you think about doing squats the day after deadlifts

im making a routine to work every muscle twice a week, and currently thats the only way i can think of doing it

Depends on the rest of your routine. Create a new thread with the outline you have so far.

So, SLDL knees bent slightly but don't bend and unbend, and Romanian knees bent slightly do bend and unbend. Right?

I always did them with knees locked, and never felt them in hams (although i did feel a stretch) until I started romanian.

Senior Member Canadian Crippler's Avatar
    An SLDL is a Romanian Deadlift brought to the floor.
    "I added some db curls with the pink weights for a bit of a burn." - Rookiebldr

"im assuming the holy (big) 3 are: curls, bench, legs?" - Saggas

"had a huge ass burn on my triceps while I was doing those kickbacks, so they'll likely be staying with my exercise program." - Zearoth

"most of my burned calories coming from something called Basal. Wtf does a leaf have to do with any of it?" - Votorx

"We have a lot of people like that on our campus, all hippies and things, that go around preaching against corporations, jocks, preps, accountants, and anyone else that feels the need to shower more than occasionally." - Shankerr

"Damn man why are some women just so demonic and evil.. its like you wanna get a stake and mallet and an erection at the same time." - WBBIRL

Quote Originally Posted by greathuskie
    anthony, what do you think about doing squats the day after deadlifts

im making a routine to work every muscle twice a week, and currently thats the only way i can think of doing it
    Doing "every muscle twice a week" does not mean every exercise twice.

Squats and deads have huge muscle use overlap.

The journal / I live here.

If I were to start from scratch as a young 13 year old again, I would do every press, squat, and perhaps deadlifts, for my entire career with chains. -- Dan John

Banned
    blasphemy, you know what i mean, look at my post (new thread) and youll get it :P

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony
    SLDL: you can either take it off a rack or do a normal deadlift. Once you are standing with the barbell in front of you, knees slightly bent but legs locked, push your ass back, chin up, chest out, back arched. Your legs should not move. How low you bring the barbell is dependent on your flexibility. Some people can touch the floor, others can't. Don't worry about it.
    Doesn't this take the hams out of the exercise and emphasize more lower back work?

Here is your suggestion of the STIFF leg deadlift and the STRAIGHT Leg Deadlift both work hams and lower back, but it seems as if the straight leg deadlift hits them better of the two... Everyone on the forum however seems to only talk about the stiff leg deadlift on leg day... I've always read that the stiff leg deadlift is more of a lowerback workout because bending your knees puts less stress on the hams while keeping the knees straight brings them into play.

I can personally say this is true for me... I don't feel anywhere near the pull on my hams when I perform the stiff leg.

Quote Originally Posted by intargc
    Doesn't this take the hams out of the exercise and emphasize more lower back work?

Here is your suggestion of the STIFF leg deadlift and the STRAIGHT Leg Deadlift both work hams and lower back, but it seems as if the straight leg deadlift hits them better of the two... Everyone on the forum however seems to only talk about the stiff leg deadlift on leg day... I've always read that the stiff leg deadlift is more of a lowerback workout because bending your knees puts less stress on the hams while keeping the knees straight brings them into play.

I can personally say this is true for me... I don't feel anywhere near the pull on my hams when I perform the stiff leg.
    I honestly don't make a distinction between stiff and straight. To me, they are the same with a small difference based on your flexibility. You can certainly work and stretch the hams with a bend in your knee.

I keep my knees bent a bit and i know soreness isnt an indicator but my hammys are damn sore for a few days afterwards. I tried to keep my legs fully extended but it bothers my knees.

here is me doing 260 http://www.putfile.com/ericgsvideos
    Current Stats --------------- Training Goals: Improve athletic conditioning.
    Squat - 305lbs - 1/23/06 ----- 335
    Deadlift - 415lbs - 2/4/06 ---- 435
    Bench - 90s*7 ----------------- 100s*5
    Weight - 208 ------------------ 190
    Height - 5'10"

My Journal|My Routine|My FitDay
    WBBB|"Many of life's failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up" - Thomas Edison

well, since we're on the topic. what are ya'lls Romanian DL weight relative to your convential deadlifts? I do deadlifts on my back days right after my pull/chin ups, and I do 2 working sets of 6 x 315lbs and then 4x 365 and finish with 2x365. However, on my leg days, right after my squats, I do RDL working sets of 2x6-8 at 315, 2x4 at 335. I feel I could do more, but my grip is my limiting factor. How are your RDL weights compared to your deadlift weights? Maybe I just have a weak lower back? I plan on having a strictly deadlift day, currently on a chest/tri,back/bi, leg/shoulder split, and incorporating rack pulls. Thanks in advance for your input.

Wannabebig Member
    have you thought of trying good mornings to work out your hamstrings, instead of maybe the SLDS's? Don't know if those will be any easier for you to do, but it's worth a shot.