The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Wannabebig Member

How can I gain mass?

I am currently 17, 6'0" weighing around 173 lbs. This is up from 155 in June 05, and 165 in July/August. However I have not been able to budge a pound from above 173 for the past 3-4 months, and my goal is 185-190.
    I am working out (or trying to) every other day, doing chest/bicep/tricep/back/shoulder and leg routines. I have gained some muscle in my chest and arms and shoulders mostly. I eat alot, as much as I can, but it doesn't seem to make a difference. I have also been drinking protein shakes for the past month or so, so I'd say I've been meeting my protein requirement which has given me more results.
    But I still cant seem to get any bigger and Im looking for a little advice.
    Like basically what should I be doing, low reps high weights? Zero cardio? Advice like this would be great, so thanks in advance for any feedback.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

WBB Member
    If you aren't gaining mass, then you aren't eating enough, simple as that. Use www.fitday.com to track your calories every day. Post a typical diet up here, as well as the total calories as calculated by fitday, and the members here can give you more detailed advice.

Post your training routine in the bodybuilding forum if you want feedback on that.

mmm... discipline
    :withstupi
    I don't gain unless I eat to the point of puking four-five times a day. Some people have real fast metabolisms. Be thankful that your body isn't as hard to grow as mine.

Wannabebig Member
    heres a different question, how can I kill my metabolism?
    Smoking a pack a day? Downing laundry detergent or something? Maybe thatd be a good angle to approach.

mmm... discipline
    Gain weight, get older; your metabolism will slow down. I don't suggest smoking or laundry detergent

Wannabebig Member
    hehe

eat until you puke...then eat some more

"Squats make the ghetto booty"-Me
    "No matter how much you lift, just remember that on the other side of the world, a little chinese girl is warming up with your max"-bIgHwN86
    "Reach for some self discipline."-Holto

how much are you resting? I saw the biggest gains when I was resting the most. Post your routine and then we can see.

Wannabebig Member
    between sets? probably between 1-2 1/2 minutes
    Ive got a heavy routine, i dont really know any of the exercises or equipment names
    Last edited by blackdogstrut; 01-17-2006 at 02:03 PM.

I think he's talking about between workouts, and at night.

Wannabebig Member
    I try to every other day, but its probably closer to twice a week and I get maybe 6-7 hours sleep a night

Quote Originally Posted by blackdogstrut
    I try to every other day, but its probably closer to twice a week and I get maybe 6-7 hours sleep a night
    Sleep more... And I don't understand the first part of that. You should be getting 8-10hours of sleep every night. It's hard to do believe me... But your body will thank you!
    Full Powerlifting
    Squat - 595lbs -- 270kg -- Dec. 31, '09 (Provincial Record @100kg class)
    Bench - 374lbs -- 170kg -- Dec 20, '08 (@100kg class)
    Dead - 589lbs -- 267.5kg -- Dec 20, '08 (Provincial Record @100kg class)
    Total: 1537lbs -- 697.5kg -- Dec 20, '08 (Provincial Record @ 100kg class)
    Bench Only -- 358lbs -- 162.5kg -- Nov. 25, '07 (Provincial Record @ 90kg class)
    Bench Only -- 376lbs -- 171kg -- Jan. 26, '08 (Provincial Record @ 100kg class)

I think you should try switching the way you eat. It seems as if every time i changed the way I ate, I would gain rappidly. If you are eating a strict diet, of protein, carbs and fat, try letting go of that. Try for a month, to eat fast food, a burger here and there, etc. I'll bet you will gain more muscle.

Quote Originally Posted by World-Is-Yours
    I think you should try switching the way you eat. It seems as if every time i changed the way I ate, I would gain rappidly. If you are eating a strict diet, of protein, carbs and fat, try letting go of that. Try for a month, to eat fast food, a burger here and there, etc. I'll bet you will gain more muscle.
    you can gain mass with right amount of fat,protein and carbs
    You will soon see Getfit in OngII Flying Knee Thingys of Doom see if the feisty greek can survive the kicks of Steel Leg From Shaolin Soccer,Dim Mak(def touch) from ChungLee,and Flying Crane by Daniel-san-El Pietro

Spray it with windex greek!-the famous El Pietro

You be quiet or i'll clean and press your narrow francophone self-Callahan

Lift for gains,not glory.Control your ego and the weight

What a strong girl! This leads me to believe you can severly injure most of the male population-Nick Hatfield

You're blazing white hot,anyone ever tell you that? Sometimes i think you have fingers faster then Superman when it comes to posts on WBB forums.
    Hot in terms of both speed and... well new hotness- Stash

gain 50lbs-Anthony

You can gain mass by being in a calorie surplus everday and training heavy in the gym. and it really isnt any more complicated and that to start with apart from making sure ure getting enough protein and fats etc etc
    my journal
    http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=68545

weight 202 - (bf around 14%)
    PR's
    Bench - 286
    deadlift - new pr on the 23/12/06 190 kilo (430 pound)
    squat - 264 ATF

Goals

200 pound at 10% bf by next summer

you can gain mass with right amount of fat,protein and carbs
    Im definately not disagreeing with that, but. I notice when some people stress on their exact calorie intake, they slow down their gains. This applies to someone who is learning how to train and eat. Until they have their training perfect, they should just pig out.

Wannabebig Member
    eat more and good...the more balanced the diet the better and cleaner your gains will be....but really just eat..and lift hard...plus your young give it time
    :alcoholic Quit worrying about your health. It'll go away.

Im definately not disagreeing with that, but. I notice when some people stress on their exact calorie intake, they slow down their gains. This applies to someone who is learning how to train and eat. Until they have their training perfect, they should just pig out.
    Um, no.

Perfect diet + ****ty training = gains.
    Perfect training + ****ty diet = ****ty gains.

You said that when they 'pig out' they get bigger. Wow. They are now in a surplus of calories! I'll prefer to do it with quality protein, low GI carbs, and lots of healthy fat.
    Poo is also LBM - The Built

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by brickt.
    Um, no.

Perfect diet + ****ty training = gains.
    Perfect training + ****ty diet = ****ty gains.
    Wouldn't it be bad gains if there was a perefect diet and crappy training though? Take for instance me...if I had a perfect diet but hardly ever trained or cut corners during training...wouldn't I just get like a fat stomach or thighs but still have skinny arms and legs?

Yes true, I make amazing gains with smart, super intense training with not tracking down my diet and just eat like an animal rather than keeping track of everything I eat and being very picky, but not training smart.

Then it's not a perfect diet, you're eating too many calories, and the training would be LOWER than ****ty, as you would not be stimulating the muscles enough to grow.

****ty training = too much work, too many sets, neglecting legs, etc. Not being a pansy and tricep kicking the fluffy db for 5 minutes, then going home.

Ninja Edit: We're overanalysing this. IMHO, success = 70% diet, 25% training, 5% acts of God.

Eat well, train well, and say your prayers. You'll get bigger.
    Last edited by brickt.; 01-19-2006 at 06:19 PM.
    Poo is also LBM - The Built

learning how to train is also learning how to eat!
    You will soon see Getfit in OngII Flying Knee Thingys of Doom see if the feisty greek can survive the kicks of Steel Leg From Shaolin Soccer,Dim Mak(def touch) from ChungLee,and Flying Crane by Daniel-san-El Pietro

Spray it with windex greek!-the famous El Pietro

You be quiet or i'll clean and press your narrow francophone self-Callahan

Lift for gains,not glory.Control your ego and the weight

What a strong girl! This leads me to believe you can severly injure most of the male population-Nick Hatfield

You're blazing white hot,anyone ever tell you that? Sometimes i think you have fingers faster then Superman when it comes to posts on WBB forums.
    Hot in terms of both speed and... well new hotness- Stash

gain 50lbs-Anthony