The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: tricep workouts

tricep workouts

How often should you work your triceps directly?
    "What mean expendable, Rambo?", Julia Nickson-Soul as Co Bao, in Rambo: First Blood Part II (1985)

"this would be an excellent forum, for him", Shelley Long as Diane Chambers in the TV sitcom "Cheers" (1982-1993)

NHBFAN

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

As often as they need it.
    Vin Diesel has a fever.. and the only prescription is more cowbell.

Budiak: That girl I maced
    Budiak: macked
    Budiak: heh maced
    Budiak: I wish

ShmrckPmp5: a good thing people can't fire guns through the computer...your ass would have been shot years ago

Y2A 47: youre smooth as hell
    Y2A 47: thats why you get outta tickets, and into panties

galileo: you're a fucking beast and I hate you
    galileo: hate

assgrabbers are never subtile, they will grabb ass whereever they go,public or not, I know the type, because I am one. - Rock

How does "as often as they need" equate to # of days per week for a beginner?
    "What mean expendable, Rambo?", Julia Nickson-Soul as Co Bao, in Rambo: First Blood Part II (1985)

"this would be an excellent forum, for him", Shelley Long as Diane Chambers in the TV sitcom "Cheers" (1982-1993)

NHBFAN

It won't necessarily be a set number of days. The idea is that when they're recovered enough to be trained again, you train them again.

That may be 72 hours later, that may be 7 days later. You'll have to recognize that.

As a beginner, once a week should be sufficient.

ShmrckPmp5: a good thing people can't fire guns through the computer...your ass would have been shot years ago

assgrabbers are never subtile, they will grabb ass whereever they go,public or not, I know the type, because I am one. - Rock

Quoting Pauly, "Depends."

I would figure out my entire workout- like whether it's a push/pull split, or a whole-body workout, etc. Then I would figure out how often I would do the splits. How old are you, how long have you been lifting? In general I would try to not be lifting on consecutive days. I've been lifting for about a year this time. I'm 42 and I do a push/pull split. I do one workout every third day. I'm usually able to do better on each big lift each time I do it again. Could I do my workouts every other day? Maybe. What I'm doing right now works well for me, so I don't want to possibly screw things up by changing right now.

NHBFAN-
    Whatsup bro? I personally would recommend around once a week or maybe more, depending on your soreness, and the type of split that you are using.

I train mine once a week with my chest, and they never grow.

Home of the 2002 Pacific Division Champ Sacramento Kings
    My triceps get a decent workout on my chest day, but 4 days later I do a shoulders/triceps day. Since using that split I've seen gains.

I work my tri's on fri., its my arm day. On tues I work chest and I do bench press so they get a workout from that too. I only do one exercise for my tri's I've been working out for 2 years and my arms have grown to 17.75" which I'm proud of. Don't overkill.

Hey TreeTrunks,

What exercise do you do for your tri's? Tri curls or cable pull downs?

NHBFAN

NHBFAN-
    One of the first things that you have to learn is that your triceps dont curl or pull. Your biceps curl and pull. Standing barbell CURLS, seated dumbbell CURLS.. there isnt a tri curl bro. Triceps extend. Thats theyre function. Thats why triceps exercises a referred to as extensions, or pushdowns, or pressdowns. No pull-downs. Pull-downs are for your lats (back). Biceps curl and pull. Lying ez-curl bar triceps extensions are a GREAT tri builder, along with dumbbell overhead extensions. Good luck.

Last edited by MonStar1023; 01-05-2002 at 11:12 PM.

Hey, MonStar 1023

I think we're just having a nomenclature misunderstanding. What you call an extension (lowering weights behind your head parallel to the floor, then pressing them straight up) was called a tricep curl when I was a young man ... many years ago.

I did goof up calling cable pull downs a tri exercise. I meant cable pressdowns.

Thanks for you patience. I'll catch on eventually.

NHBFAN

NHBFAN-
    Yeah bro its all good. I wasnt trying to be rude or anything. But yeah I know what your saying. I think the names change over time but the exercises usually dont change. Good luck bro.

The only exercise I do for tri's is Lying tri. ext. and of course they get a bit of work on chest/delt day.

i need a new routine for gettin some results with tris when i lifted i did close grip presses, skull crushers and extensions with no growth but i gained 40 lbs in this period
    Last edited by Bam Bam; 01-06-2002 at 08:28 PM.
    Blocka Blocka

I am AMINAL

bam, I did close grip skull crushers too because some bodybuilder at a gym I went to said they were better so I tried them for a few months and zero growth in size and strength then I was working arm with Gyno Rhino one day and decided "he has huge ass arms I'll try doing a wider grip" and my arms have just taken off in strength and size not quite sure why. I guess its the angle.

theres a comma there
    Blocka Blocka

I am AMINAL

LOL @ Bammer giving grammar lessons.

Originally posted by Bam Bam
    theres a comma there
    There's an apostrophe there...
    "Except Belial. He knows everything. This isn't a sarcastic attack, either. He really knows everything." -----Organichu
    "Alex is all knowing and perfect"-----Jane (loosely paraphrased)
    -515/745/700 bench/deadlift/squat
    Current mile time: 4:23
    Marathons: 3
    Century races: 3
    Ironmans: 1
    Ultramarathons: 1
    Current supps: http://www.atlargenutrition.com/prod...covery/results

i meant i did close grip bench shull scrushers and ectensions
    Blocka Blocka

I am AMINAL

Gaglione Strength Chris Rodgers's Avatar
    I actually like hitting triceps twice per week on my last program.

Now I'm hitting them once a week, but with the intensity I'm going to be using in all my workouts, I can't imagine doing any of my bodyparts more than once, although I may experiment with claves 2 times per week.
    Best Meet Lifts(Raw w/wraps):
    @165- 435 SQ 270 BE 560 DL.....1255 total
    @181- 535 SQ 300 BE 570 DL.....1400 total
    Best Meet Lifts(Multi-ply):
    @148- 575 SQ 315 BE 515 DL.....1400 total
    @165- 680 SQ 380 BE 540 DL.....1555 total
    @181- 700 SQ 375 BE 535 DL.....1605 total
    Best Gym Lifts(Raw w/wraps)
    545 SQ 305 BE 585 DL

garbliscious!
    A little learning is a dangerous thing...

Live Dangerously! Learn a Little!

Dude, did Doogie Howser just steal my fucking car?

since when did message boards have to grammatically correct?

Treetrunks - what do you do the skullcrushers with barbell or e-z curl bar? On flat bench? decline bench?
    "In the grand scheme of things, both things are quite superficial(obsessed with being muscular&ripped and incredibly strong). And yet lifting can teach you so much. My time at the gym--at least when I'm lifting--is invariably the high-point of my day. There aren't any questions; I almost don't even think. I go into an almost meditative trance-like state. Day-to-day worries become insignificant. I'm focused solely on the weight, and my reason for existence is clear. To move the bar and to improve on what I accomplished last time. Seldom are things so simple." - Blood&Iron

"Most people cannot understand what burns in our blood, the gym is our addiction and iron is our drug. People don't understand why we commit hours a day to a goal where progress is so small it seems immeasurable, why we do cardio instead of watch TV, why eat 6 meals a day, why we insist on ordering diet soda or how we can drink skim milk. Most people will simply never grasp why we refuse to settle for a mediocre body." - Severed Ties

Treetrunks - what do you do the skullcrushers with barbell or e-z curl bar? On flat bench? decline bench?
    EZ bar(I got tendonitis in my forearms, BB flares is up) on a flat bench