View Poll Results: Do you bring a training log with you to the gym?

Voters
39. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes.

24 61.54%
  • No.

13 33.33%
  • If I remember.

2 5.13%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: training log.

Hybrid View

training log.

Got this question from the toon of the week.

i always have my log with me. been keeping this one for a year. it's actually a really cool notebook too, with hard purple holographic covers. *lol* real sturdy.
    A little learning is a dangerous thing...

Live Dangerously! Learn a Little!

Dude, did Doogie Howser just steal my fucking car?

decease, RIP
    Yea I have a small one, just so I remember how much I lifted last week, I never remember. If I didn't keep one I would just give up when it becomes to heavy.

Absolutely.

My training log is just as important (if not moreso) than my water bottle, belt, and chalk.
    Squats work better than supplements.
    "You know, if I thought like that, I'd never put more than one plate on the bar for anything, I'd never use bands or chains, I'd never squat to parallel or below, and I'd never let out the slightest grunt when I lift. At some point in your lifting career (assuming you're planning on getting reasonably strong and big), you're going to have to accept that most people think you are some kind of freak." -Sensei
    "You're wrong, and I have a completely irrelevant pubmed abstract that may or may not say so." - Belial
    I has a blog.
    I has a facebook.

agree with paul never train without one.

If progression is your number one goal (is for most) then i canlt see how you can train without one.
    http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_black.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Hypertrophy Cluster Training - HCT-12 - If you want big gains in size and strength, huge decreases in body fat, or both - check out HCT-12.

Can I have some lean muscle & strength please? My Training Journal

Way below radar
    Somewhere between cognitive dissonance and the egocentric dilemma
    Oh yes...I have a collection of little spiral notebooks that I have used for logs over the past few years. Whenever I'm feeling stagnated, going back over those logs and seeing the progress over time reminds me to take the long view and just keep on working at it

I could give all to Time except - except
    What I myself have held. But why declare
    The things forbidden that while the Customs slept
    I have crossed to Safety with? For I am There,
    And what I would not part with I have kept.

--Robert Frost

I train at home so I guess I would consider that my "gym" so the answer is YUP
    Current Stats --------------- Training Goals: Improve athletic conditioning.
    Squat - 305lbs - 1/23/06 ----- 335
    Deadlift - 415lbs - 2/4/06 ---- 435
    Bench - 90s*7 ----------------- 100s*5
    Weight - 208 ------------------ 190
    Height - 5'10"

My Journal|My Routine|My FitDay
    WBBB|"Many of life's failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up" - Thomas Edison

I dont bring a training log to the gym.. maybe I should. Because basically I just jot down my exercises, reps, weight, and all that on a piece of scrap paper and take it home and type it into my online journal and then throw the paper away..

I keep one on my Pc but i never take the pc at my gym

I on the other hand do take my PC to the gym...well not my home PC but I take my Palm Pilot.. I use that as my training log. Works great, small, compact, never need to worry about remembering a pen, and backs up on my PC with the push of a button...

I write it down in a note book after I come back from the gym. I never bring the note book with me.

I remember my entire workout and then i copy it in my online journal I just start doing it though.
    upper chest freak

My memory is terrible. If I didn't write it down I'd forget and couldn't post it here. That's really sad seeing as my gym is in my basement.

Pretty Fly for an Old Guy W8_4_Me's Avatar
    I started that way... when PL I always kept a good log, but now, since it's all for the fun and not the glory, I don't.
    "A winner...knows how much he still has to learn, even when he is considered an expert by others; A loser...wants to be considered an expert by others, before he has even learned enough to know how little he knows." - Sydney Harris

"It takes a big man to cry, and an even BIGGER man to laugh at that man!" - Jack Handey

"It's simple. If it jiggles, it's fat." - Arnold Schwarzenegger

It is vital for progression. I always bring one. Today I forgot mine and I felt so lost.

I have never used a training log. I always remember what exercises I did the prevous week inculding the weight and the amount of reps I did. Knowing how much weight and reps you did is essential if you want to progress. I always try to do more reps than i did the prevous week and if the reps are high i will add more weight.

However i dont remember what i did last month so i think it is benficial to get a log to see what details add to the progression.
    Sweat in time of peace, bleed less in time of war.

Wannabebig Member
    Manipul8R,

What program are you using to log your workouts on your Palm Pilot? I've tried just about every one of the programs available for logging workouts, and the best one I've found is Work-It-Out V.3 but I can't purchase the unlock key for it. The next best one I've used is Weights, but my problem with that program is that it's a PIA to look back on old workouts to check my weights and reps and then return to logging my current workout. What do your suggest? I'm starting to just lean towards using the Datebook or something.

i have a terrible secret: i dont use a training log and i dont even have a set program.

however, i can remember pretty much everything and before anyone says anything about no program- i have my particular days, eg leg day whatever and i just go in on my particular day and try to change it up a bit with the different exercises, i think ill come up with somethign to stick to tho. i like the palmpilot idea a lot. i won $1000 and dont know what to spend it on.

donate that 1000 dollars to charity. specifically the "Tryska Needs Mo' Money" fund. it's a tax-free contribution!
    A little learning is a dangerous thing...

Live Dangerously! Learn a Little!

Dude, did Doogie Howser just steal my fucking car?

I swear by mine. Litterally I turn around and go back to the office if I forget to print out my workout for the day.

I use a program called Crosstrainer 2 and I think it is the BEST. Tracks Diet (with a huge index of nutritional info for common foods) Workouts, and Cardio. Also lets you weigh in with measurements so it can graph your progress. Everyone should check this out...it's a free trial.

http://www.innovativelogic.com/crosstrainer/
    Three people can keep a secret so long as two of them are dead

- Benjamin Franklin

i never bring it along anymore. i used to, but stopped it when i found out i remember my poundages when im home anyway so why drag it along.

i just come home and post in my journal on here.

i remember my lifts, not that hard for me, the numbers are small

H. Killebrew

I tried those programs too, couldnt find anything i like. Now I just use the memo pad, I created a category called "Training Log". In the first line i put the date and the days execise, so that is the title of the memo. When i go back to look its a piece of cake..

Example Log

1/10/02 Thurs-Legs

Leg Ext-
    1xreps@weight
    1xreps@weight
    1xreps@weight

Leg Press-
    1xreps@weight
    1xreps@weight
    1xreps@weight

Leg Curl-
    1xreps@weight
    etc...

It work great, quick and easy..I hotsync it to my PC at home so if anything should happen to the Palm, I still have it..

No...I remember what I do and then when I get home, 8 hours later, I write what I did on here

Manipul8r,

That's an pricey training log. Look out for sticky fingers.
    ...it's more friendly for trainers to say, "yeah, we can help you tone up!" rather than saying, "yeah, we can help you get rid of that fat ass!"

Anthony

This is minor league rookie stuff...Of course everyone should have a workout log!
    "In the grand scheme of things, both things are quite superficial(obsessed with being muscular&ripped and incredibly strong). And yet lifting can teach you so much. My time at the gym--at least when I'm lifting--is invariably the high-point of my day. There aren't any questions; I almost don't even think. I go into an almost meditative trance-like state. Day-to-day worries become insignificant. I'm focused solely on the weight, and my reason for existence is clear. To move the bar and to improve on what I accomplished last time. Seldom are things so simple." - Blood&Iron

"Most people cannot understand what burns in our blood, the gym is our addiction and iron is our drug. People don't understand why we commit hours a day to a goal where progress is so small it seems immeasurable, why we do cardio instead of watch TV, why eat 6 meals a day, why we insist on ordering diet soda or how we can drink skim milk. Most people will simply never grasp why we refuse to settle for a mediocre body." - Severed Ties