Thread: 2 Mile Run

2 Mile Run

Hey guys! For this upcoming lacrosse season we have a time two mile run and it is required to finish in less than 15 minutes. I am able of doing this but i want to get a very low time to impress the coaches before tryouts. What are some suggestions on how i can build up my endurance to succed on this run. Every tuesday and thursday at school i do sprint work for about an hour and about twice a week i go for a longer distance run. Any comments/ suggestions to help me lower my two mile time are appreciated.
    Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful. -Joushua Marine

Iron4Life
    Farklet training has always worked the best for me...

I have recently seen a new program for runners that has been quite successful:
    Take your goal distance and divide by 1/4 miles.. so for 2 miles that would be 8 quarters, then add 1...
    take your goal time and divide by this number.. so 15 minutes/9 = 1.66 minutes = approx 1 minute 40 seconds...
    Can you run a 1/4 in 1 minute 40 seconds? if so, then your training program would be this:
    run 9 1/4's in 1 minute 40 or slightly less, but rest/walk for 1 minute between each 1/4 mile... do this 3 times per week
    then each week, lower that rest period by 5 seconds, so that by the 12th week, you are easily running your goal distance in your goal time.

Good luck..

15 should be easy to pass. A good middie should be around 12 minutes for 2 miles.

Edit: Bear's method sounds slick.
    Last edited by bloodninja; 01-19-2006 at 04:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by laxguy1028
    What are some suggestions on how i can build up my endurance to succed on this run.
    run a lot
    I went to Rhodestown and all I got was this high cholesterol

Quote Originally Posted by bearwolfden
    Farklet training has always worked the best for me...

I have recently seen a new program for runners that has been quite successful:
    Take your goal distance and divide by 1/4 miles.. so for 2 miles that would be 8 quarters, then add 1...
    take your goal time and divide by this number.. so 15 minutes/9 = 1.66 minutes = approx 1 minute 40 seconds...
    Can you run a 1/4 in 1 minute 40 seconds? if so, then your training program would be this:
    run 9 1/4's in 1 minute 40 or slightly less, but rest/walk for 1 minute between each 1/4 mile... do this 3 times per week
    then each week, lower that rest period by 5 seconds, so that by the 12th week, you are easily running your goal distance in your goal time.

Good luck..
    Only thing I would change is that I would run them faster each week rather than lower the rest period. Take the same rest but run faster
    Full Powerlifting
    Squat - 595lbs -- 270kg -- Dec. 31, '09 (Provincial Record @100kg class)
    Bench - 374lbs -- 170kg -- Dec 20, '08 (@100kg class)
    Dead - 589lbs -- 267.5kg -- Dec 20, '08 (Provincial Record @100kg class)
    Total: 1537lbs -- 697.5kg -- Dec 20, '08 (Provincial Record @ 100kg class)
    Bench Only -- 358lbs -- 162.5kg -- Nov. 25, '07 (Provincial Record @ 90kg class)
    Bench Only -- 376lbs -- 171kg -- Jan. 26, '08 (Provincial Record @ 100kg class)

Run one day on, one day off. Alternate with fartlek, sprint-day, and longer distance. Start out running, say 1.5 miles per session, and gradually build up to 3 miles. Once you hit that 3 miles the 2 mile will seem like a piece of cake. Run some 5k's, too, if you get a chance.
    5'9" 195 lbs
    DL 600x1
    SQ 490x1 (raw)
    BP 430x1 (shirted), 320x1 (raw)
    SN 209x1 C+J 250x1

My Training Journal
    www.illinipowerlifting.org

"Most people don't want to learn new things. They only want to hear about things that validate crap they're already doing." - Mike Boyle

I would just run two miles as my training.

I would also use a metronome to get my pace, and increase the speed of the metronome just a bit each time I ran, thereby decreasing the time.

A cheap metronome is 15 bucks or so..

Sorry, my mind works funny like that..

5/3/1 Journal

http://http://www.wannabebig.com/for...83#post1766083

i am in the army and we have a pt test every six months, one of the three events is a two mile run. personally, i currently only run 3 miles twice a week, but about a month away from the pt test i go to 3 miles 3 times a week at my goal pace plus 30 seconds. using this method i run high 12 minute two-miles. make sure you know the track you will be running on, whether it is a track or a road course, and make sure you have a watch to keep time and know what your goal pace. good luck!

thanks for all the helpful replies guys!!
    Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful. -Joushua Marine

I lived with 3 players on a top 5 DIII team. They had to do the same thing, and the coach could care less about time, just beating 15 mattered. You can impress the staff with your play and dedication in practice.
    My Journal
    http://wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=119765

I think this is possibly the all-time best response on WBB. - Jorge Sanchez

"you're an animal eat like one damn it!" - Wikked1

"Now we're finally getting to the chicken or the egg question," I grinned. "Did I eat all that food because my size gives me more of an appetite, or did I get to be this big because I've been forcing myself to eat like this for years?"

From A Body Builder is Born

i knew you were a beast but not that kinda of a beast that eats grown men and children.. lilmase

Combat Infantryman
    100% performance for Army PT is a 13 min. 2 mile. I'm personally getting there by doing 1 lap sprint, 1 lap walk x 9 (18 laps, 2 miles). This seems to work the best for me, I hate jogging.

I suggest maybe a little more distance than all these guys are saying. You'll want to be in top cardiovascular shape for Lax... I'm currently training for the 800 and 400 in track and i've been running 20-25+ miles a week... But thats just until pre-season ends then I know I've got some hard workouts coming. Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Bareyataghan
    I suggest maybe a little more distance than all these guys are saying. You'll want to be in top cardiovascular shape for Lax... I'm currently training for the 800 and 400 in track and i've been running 20-25+ miles a week... But thats just until pre-season ends then I know I've got some hard workouts coming. Good luck!
    lacrosse requires a different sort of endurance. I used to coach a club lacrosse team and I would have the guys vary between long distance and sprint.
    My Journal
    http://wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=119765

I think this is possibly the all-time best response on WBB. - Jorge Sanchez

"you're an animal eat like one damn it!" - Wikked1

"Now we're finally getting to the chicken or the egg question," I grinned. "Did I eat all that food because my size gives me more of an appetite, or did I get to be this big because I've been forcing myself to eat like this for years?"

From A Body Builder is Born

i knew you were a beast but not that kinda of a beast that eats grown men and children.. lilmase