Thread: How to Coax 30lbs Out of Your Bench Press by Kelly Baggett - Jan 22nd 2006

Hybrid View

How to Coax 30lbs Out of Your Bench Press by Kelly Baggett - Jan 22nd 2006

Are you having trouble putting poundage on your bench press? Let me assure you that you’re not alone. Kelly Baggett runs through some tricks to add some extra lb's onto your bench press!

http://www.wannabebig.com/article.php?articleid=252

Enjoy and discuss!
    http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_black.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Hypertrophy Cluster Training - HCT-12 - If you want big gains in size and strength, huge decreases in body fat, or both - check out HCT-12.

Can I have some lean muscle & strength please? – My Training Journal

Mint
    Just want to say that I thought this was a great article. I like the other stuff Kelly has written too and hope to see more of his articles around here.
    "To make a big training like Dimas, you can not be a pussy." - Christos Iakovou

prepare yourself, because it's a big training

Turnin nothin into somethin, is God work
    And you get nothin without struggle and hard work

Think like a man of action, act like a man of thought. - Henri Bergson.

Wannabebig Member
    has anyone tried this yet?

Wannabebig New Member
    the article brought on a lot of useful and tactical facts... I kind of have an issue with percents though, because 85% of say 225 is the same for anyone else who maxes out at 225, but for someone who trains with high reps on a regular basis they will generally be able to do mroe reps with 85% of their 1rm than someone who regularly trains with low reps... I've seen training partners who bench basically the same weight but one person can out-rep the other with the same weight... percents for me have always caused confusion and hesitation... it raises the question for many... what percent should I start out with? Other than that, I gained some useful insight on strength workouts and hypertrophy workouts

Has anyone tried this just yet?

I've been doing a modified version for 4 weeks. So far i've put on 20 lbs to my bench. Will probably end up putting on more.

I haven't followed anything exactly like this article, but to meet my goal of 200lb flat bench press, I took 3 and a half weeks where I worked on weights that I could get in the 6-10 rep range and ended up doing 2 reps of 210lbs at the end of those 3.5 weeks. Could I have done the 210 before going through the 3.5 weeks of holding back a bit? I have no clue, but I probably helped my muscles by not straining them and trying to go up 2.5-5 pounds every week. Instead I took it easy and then when I thought I was ready, I did 2 warm up sets and went for the max. So I'd say it's a useful tool to at least make sure you're not going to failure all of the time on benching.
    Last edited by offhegoes03; 04-19-2006 at 09:35 PM.
    Chicken, Cows, Eggs, and Milk: Eating Big, Lifting Heavy
    My Fitday

Height: 5'8"
    5/07 Weight: 168 lbs, 9% BF using calipers
    Goal: Start lifting again in January and hopefully get rid of this tendinitis.
    "Nothing in this world that's worth having comes easy"

Wannabebig New Member

hey

I didnt quiete get the article... CAn someone help me out? Im 140 pounds im pushing atleast 210 on bench rep of 6 times.. how do i get more strength? whats the how much reps and how much sets i gotta do? thx!

im currently doing the program and i will tell you all if it works, although i am cutting i have faith it will work.
    2000 or bust

I'm going to start this program and see how it turns out.

Question:
    So after the 6 weeks is over do you just go back to your original routine?

if it's still working.... no.

I'm up 30 lbs now and i don't see the progress slowing down any time soon.
    Last edited by Eszekial; 05-05-2006 at 11:51 AM.

Wannabebig Member
    I'm a lil confused... For option #1 It says "Train every other day alternating between the 2 workouts so that you hit upper body every 4th day and lower body every 4th day."....But it only shows workout days 1 and 3..So does that mean, work upper on Monday, rest Tues, lower on Wed, the upper again on thursday.....Wait til the next Monday, and reverse the cycle of day by starting with Lower on Mon, rest, Tues, Upper Wed, and Lower Thurs? Or did I read it wrong...
    Last edited by Tru Texan; 11-17-2006 at 10:23 AM.
    Height: 5'11"
    Weight: 213lbs
    Current Bench Max: 350lbs
    CurrentGoal: Decent abs, Decent looking body ,and benching 400lbs one day

Wannabebig Member
    On option 2, it seems that ur working the chest twice a week. If so , do u move up in the bench routine everytime u work chest. Or do u do one workout a week before u move up. I guess I'm asking is it a 6 week routine, or a 12 week?

Wannabebig Member
    Last question (for now) it says that the only other exercises that are mandatory are one bench assistance or chest movement for 3-4 sets of 6-12 reps (flat dumbbell presses, flyes etc.) and one triceps movement for 3-4 sets of 6-12 reps. (pushdowns, extensions, etc.) Alternate your assistance or chest exercises. Use an isolation chest exercise such as flyes one workout and then use a compound pressing movement such as dumbbell presses the following workout....
    What do they mean by one bench assistance or chest movement, and one triceps movement? Are they referring to the same ones listed in the workout, or do they mean do somethind different?

Wannabebig Member
    thirty pounds in six weeks? sounds good to me. i got a question, though. ive started doing weighted dips and its increasing pretty much every chest exercise except my bench. ima blame that one on my shoulders, though

you think if i threw in a few sets of weighted dips (ive been doin 5x5) to the routines suggested, it would defeat the purpose of the bench routine?