Thread: bad shin splints

bad shin splints

lately after i do cardio (running) i get pretty bad shin splints. i also get em when i walk to class. i can get by with them but it is kinda a pain in the ass. any advice on how to get the pain to go down some?

thanks

first make sure you are stretching. I would also try to find a running store (not a shoe store, but a place that specializes in running), and they can get a pair of shoes that match you foot better.
    My Journal
    http://wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=119765

I think this is possibly the all-time best response on WBB. - Jorge Sanchez

"you're an animal eat like one damn it!" - Wikked1

"Now we're finally getting to the chicken or the egg question," I grinned. "Did I eat all that food because my size gives me more of an appetite, or did I get to be this big because I've been forcing myself to eat like this for years?"

From A Body Builder is Born

i knew you were a beast but not that kinda of a beast that eats grown men and children.. lilmase

Banned
    aleve or naproxen & ice can help with inflammation

look into changing your shoes and/or getting some custom insoles

From how I understand it shin splints are the literal tearing of the muscle fibers on your shins, correct? This would usually mean that there is a heavy muscle imbalance. I think what happens is your calve muscle is either really tight or much stronger than your shin muscle so it pulls and tears it away from your shin. Anyways, stretching and getting new shoes would probably help, but also strengthening the muscles on your shins would help too. These are the muscles that work when you bring your foot "up," as opposed to "down" which is what your calves do.

I'm thinking most rotater cuff injuries from bench pressing are very simliar, where one muscle heavily imbalances the other. I would get some new shoes, take some advil, rest, stretch, and look up shin splints on wikipedia. I think there is some sort of equipment you can get to strengthen your shin muscles also, though its most likely expensive.

Banned
    shin splints are synonymous with tendonitis.. not a muscle tear

Shin splints is a term used to describe several different types of running problems, but as far as I understand they are inflammation or stress of the "shin muscles," not any tendons. Though perhaps that is what you meant by "synonymous with tendonitis," and not "equal to tendonitis."

Wannabebig New Member
    I used to get shin splints really badly, whether I was walking or running. Then I found out that I had flat feet and my current shoes were not supporting my arch. The podiatrist recommended some good (not cheap-o) arch supports. I have not had one bout of shin splits since. I was also suffering from knee pain, which has gone away as well. The shin splints seem, in my case, to have been caused by the overpronation or rolling in of my foot as I ran due to my arch collapsing.

I would suggest investing in a good arch support, even a cheap one at first to see if it helps a bit. If it helps, then get a good firm one. The one I'm using is called a "Powerstep". It runs about $25 for a pair. It seems to work well.

Ether tie ankle weights on and sit on a table and lift to strech the muscles, or use a plastic grocery bag and put something inside. That will strech and build their strength. Then ice after every run for at least a week if not two weeks. Then you are free.
    Last edited by Chizniz16; 01-26-2006 at 05:54 PM.
    It's not easy. It's not supposed to be.-Mr Joshua

The only treatment for shin splints is rest.

I have had several shin splints over the years (from being a track runner) and I know your pain. The best thing you can do for prevention is to go to a specialty store and buy some good shoes (sauconys work like a charm) also, have them examine your feet. If you have fallen arches or anything then you should get specialized insoles which will help keep your shin splints at bay.

Whatever you do DO NOT do leg weights! you will only further increase the pain, this is coming from experience. Take a week off from cardio work and any kind of calf workout, buy some good shoes and then start again slowly. Shin splints WILL haunt you for life if you dont let them recover properly the first time. Continue the rest until you dont get any pain while walking to class, then you can gradually increase your workout intensity.

Some other ideas are to alternate running with impact free workouts such as elipticals or bikes, as it is the impact which auses the strain and therefore your shin muscle to lift away form the bone (causing the bone to splint, ergo the name; shin splints). IF you have bruising on your shins I suggest you stop any leg activity for a week, if you dont then its possible its not actually a 'shin splint'; rather just severe shin muscle pain (the beginning of a shin splint). Either way you should stop cardio activity and to re-iterate a third time.

BUY GOOD SHOES!

I cant stress that enough!

thanks for the help guys....i went out and got some nice arch supports that cost around $30 and so far walking to class has been much better. ill be doing a little cardio today so we will se how it goes. if things dont get better im gonna definatly invest in some better shoes. the ones i have now are nike shox so its not like they are cheapos but maybe they just arent for my foot.

calf/soleus stretching. Get a good running shoe. Do some balance training like single leg squats. Do dorsi flexion to strengthen your anterior tibialis which is the muscle in front of your shin.

http://www.exrx.net/Muscles/TibialisAnterior.html

No more shin splints.
    Never Giving In.

well i just got done with some cardio and i didnt have one single bit of pain

those arch supports did the trick

Quote Originally Posted by f=ma
    shin splints are synonymous with tendonitis.. not a muscle tear
    Essentially it's both.....a muscle tear and tendonitis. The tear occurs in the muscle at the point of attachment to bone. That point of attachment is a tendon. http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/e...ages/19482.htm

Treatment:
    Sole insertions (to prevent over-pronation)
    Rest
    Ice
    Anti-inflammatories
    Lower leg strengthening: both anterior and posterior muscle groups
    Last edited by razorcut; 01-28-2006 at 08:29 AM.
    I know you're half-crazy, but I wish you'd go all the way.

"Razorcut, as usual, is 100% correct." --- ectx

"It is those who know little, and not those who know much, who so positively assert that this or that problem will never be solved by science. --- Charles Darwin

Keep doing what you're doing, work through the pain. Drink pickle juice the night before you run. I swear I'm not bull****ting, I had them so badly in football that afterwards I'd have to sit on the bench until I could walk again. But I kept with it despite SEVERE pain (even when sitting) and not too long after the shin muscle built up and I was just fine.
    "You can take control of my mind and my body, but there is one thing a Saiyan always keeps.... his PRIDE!"- Vegeta

My Exploits

Waiting for weight! Powdered_Power's Avatar
    Correct me if im wrong here guys, I get this feeling as if my calf muscles are really pressing up against my shin bone when im walking sometimes. Now would this be shin splints.. or something completely different?

I use to get shinsplints all the time from our bull**** navy pt. muscle and join cream(Bayer) and hi-rep calf raises for a few weeks got rid of them for me.