Banned

good lat exersizes

right now i do5x5 for all) *i fail at my 5th rep
    lat pulldown: infront my head
    behind my head
    at a 45 deg. angle

barbell and dumbell bent over rows

and overhand chins

Me and my dad have a real hard time getting big lats for some reason. i would look 10 times better if i had big lats. i just wondering if you could help me out on some more good excersizes that are really good for lats. thanks for the help

Banned
    lol i didnt mean to put the smiley in there, i dont know how the hell that popped up

Make sure you got a lot of compound movements in your routine, especially squats deads and bench. They'll spark more all around muscle growth. My lats are big compared to the rest of my body, and I think a lot of it goes to pullups and heavy rows.
    Last edited by russ; 01-23-2006 at 09:50 PM.

deads=big thick lats.
    My Journal
    http://wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=119765

I think this is possibly the all-time best response on WBB. - Jorge Sanchez

"you're an animal eat like one damn it!" - Wikked1

"Now we're finally getting to the chicken or the egg question," I grinned. "Did I eat all that food because my size gives me more of an appetite, or did I get to be this big because I've been forcing myself to eat like this for years?"

From A Body Builder is Born

i knew you were a beast but not that kinda of a beast that eats grown men and children.. lilmase

like you said genetics play a part in it as they do in everything, im pretty much stuck in the same situation, the "wing" effect that i want so badly isn't ever gonna come and im depressed haha...but ill sure as hell keep working at it...

"Squats make the ghetto booty"-Me
    "No matter how much you lift, just remember that on the other side of the world, a little chinese girl is warming up with your max"-bIgHwN86
    "Reach for some self discipline."-Holto

you got the smiley because you typed a colon right before the " ( ".

: + ( =

Are you eating enough?
    There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
    Two wrongs don't make a right, but three rights make a left.
    Are you eating while you are reading this? You should be... --hrdgain81
    Remember, kids, if you type well the Grammar Fairy will leave a quarter under your pillow. The Blue Book of Grammar and Punctuation

Well, the Blog's (finally) back (again!): Love and Hope and Sex and Dreams Feel free to stop by and comment.
    Here is my newly-created World of Warcraft Blog: BG's WoW Blog. Once again, feel free to stop by and comment.

pullups/chins
    You will soon see Getfit in OngII Flying Knee Thingys of Doom see if the feisty greek can survive the kicks of Steel Leg From Shaolin Soccer,Dim Mak(def touch) from ChungLee,and Flying Crane by Daniel-san-El Pietro

Spray it with windex greek!-the famous El Pietro

You be quiet or i'll clean and press your narrow francophone self-Callahan

Lift for gains,not glory.Control your ego and the weight

What a strong girl! This leads me to believe you can severly injure most of the male population-Nick Hatfield

You're blazing white hot,anyone ever tell you that? Sometimes i think you have fingers faster then Superman when it comes to posts on WBB forums.
    Hot in terms of both speed and... well new hotness- Stash

gain 50lbs-Anthony

Weighted chins and pullups. Deads don't do much for lats compared to active pulling.

The journal / I live here.

If I were to start from scratch as a young 13 year old again, I would do every press, squat, and perhaps deadlifts, for my entire career with chains. -- Dan John

Watch it with the BTN pulldowns. Hard on the rotator cuff. Also avoid wide grip stuff.

Narrow grip parallel pullups, all forms of chinups and pullups, dumbbell and cable pullovers ... and stretch out the lats: on a vertical post, take an overhand grip, and lean BACK. You should feel like the muscle is tearing off the bones in your ribcage.

Hold .... stretches out the fascia - look up passive loaded stretch or anabolic stretches. I credit these for allowing me to enhance my imaginary lat syndrome...

deads and rows

Banned
    Thanks for all the help, today is my back day, im gonna add a few sets to it so hopefully they start to get bigger soon

Food is a big key if you want to grow, make sure your diet is in check. Eat more than you burn (clean foods) + sound routine (including rest) = muslce growth.
    Current Stats --------------- Training Goals: Improve athletic conditioning.
    Squat - 305lbs - 1/23/06 ----- 335
    Deadlift - 415lbs - 2/4/06 ---- 435
    Bench - 90s*7 ----------------- 100s*5
    Weight - 208 ------------------ 190
    Height - 5'10"

My Journal|My Routine|My FitDay
    WBBB|"Many of life's failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up" - Thomas Edison

Wide grip pullups

DB Pullovers

Banned
    this is one spot i have to thank my parents for...i have naturally wide lats, even though they may not be that strong, it is defenitely noticeable

well atleast i thought i did, then i watched that damn ronnie coleman video in the general section. i quit

Senior Member Canadian Crippler's Avatar
    I do Pullups, BB Rows and T-Bars. Deads are great for overall development but don't do much in terms of stimulating the lats.
    "I added some db curls with the pink weights for a bit of a burn." - Rookiebldr

"im assuming the holy (big) 3 are: curls, bench, legs?" - Saggas

"had a huge ass burn on my triceps while I was doing those kickbacks, so they'll likely be staying with my exercise program." - Zearoth

"most of my burned calories coming from something called Basal. Wtf does a leaf have to do with any of it?" - Votorx

"We have a lot of people like that on our campus, all hippies and things, that go around preaching against corporations, jocks, preps, accountants, and anyone else that feels the need to shower more than occasionally." - Shankerr

"Damn man why are some women just so demonic and evil.. its like you wanna get a stake and mallet and an erection at the same time." - WBBIRL

I can't say my lats are my greatest attribute, but I am making noticeable gains with front lat pulldowns, neutral grip chins (palms facing each other) and Bent Over BB rows.
    Full Powerlifting
    Squat - 595lbs -- 270kg -- Dec. 31, '09 (Provincial Record @100kg class)
    Bench - 374lbs -- 170kg -- Dec 20, '08 (@100kg class)
    Dead - 589lbs -- 267.5kg -- Dec 20, '08 (Provincial Record @100kg class)
    Total: 1537lbs -- 697.5kg -- Dec 20, '08 (Provincial Record @ 100kg class)
    Bench Only -- 358lbs -- 162.5kg -- Nov. 25, '07 (Provincial Record @ 90kg class)
    Bench Only -- 376lbs -- 171kg -- Jan. 26, '08 (Provincial Record @ 100kg class)

Quote Originally Posted by TechMetalMan
    Wide grip pullups
    Actually, and I know you see a lot of people doing these, wide grips do NOT emphasize lats - they actually place more strain on the rotator cuff. Shoulder width or narrower on the other hand really hit the lats well.

DB Pullovers
    agree.

can someone link me to an example of DB pullovers, i can't seem to picture the exercise in my head...

"Squats make the ghetto booty"-Me
    "No matter how much you lift, just remember that on the other side of the world, a little chinese girl is warming up with your max"-bIgHwN86
    "Reach for some self discipline."-Holto

DB pullovers are okay, but like DB flies, only offer resistance over a small range of motion, and are closer to a stretching motion.

The gymnastics dual to the DB pullover is a front lever. Instructions:
    http://www.powerathletesmag.com/pages/frontlever.htm

You will have good lats if you can hold a lever.

The journal / I live here.

If I were to start from scratch as a young 13 year old again, I would do every press, squat, and perhaps deadlifts, for my entire career with chains. -- Dan John

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by greathuskie
    this is one spot i have to thank my parents for...i have naturally wide lats, even though they may not be that strong, it is defenitely noticeable
    way to rub it in my face lol

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by ericg
    Food is a big key if you want to grow, make sure your diet is in check. Eat more than you burn (clean foods) + sound routine (including rest) = muslce growth.
    i eat around 6,000 cals 500g carbs 350g protein and 250-300g fat, i lift 5 days a week and sleep atleast 8 hours every night

i have been getting waaaay bigger lately since i got on this site and i found out how much u have to eat and what to eat and everything. every muscle grows pretty quick but my lats are about as big as my 11 year old sisters!

Quote Originally Posted by rob618
    my lats are about as big as my 11 year old sisters!
    ...but that's okay 'cause she's really, REALLY jacked!

Work your lats more frequently - I'm FINALLY waking mine up, and if you read some of my past threads on lats, you'll know this has been a real problem for me.

Senior Member Canadian Crippler's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MixmasterNash
    DB pullovers are okay, but like DB flies, only offer resistance over a small range of motion, and are closer to a stretching motion.
    To add to this, just like with flies, the use of cables is a very good replacement.
    "I added some db curls with the pink weights for a bit of a burn." - Rookiebldr

"im assuming the holy (big) 3 are: curls, bench, legs?" - Saggas

"had a huge ass burn on my triceps while I was doing those kickbacks, so they'll likely be staying with my exercise program." - Zearoth

"most of my burned calories coming from something called Basal. Wtf does a leaf have to do with any of it?" - Votorx

"We have a lot of people like that on our campus, all hippies and things, that go around preaching against corporations, jocks, preps, accountants, and anyone else that feels the need to shower more than occasionally." - Shankerr

"Damn man why are some women just so demonic and evil.. its like you wanna get a stake and mallet and an erection at the same time." - WBBIRL