The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Wannabebig Member

Question about abs and pectoral

Brief question about working out abs mostly and a little pectoral...

I was wondering if it is a good idea to work out abs 7 days a week or if the abdominals need a day to rest so that you build better just like biceps? Same question for pectoral workout..although I assume pectorals should rest every other day and I work them out 3-4 days a week

thanks for your help

Oxygen
    Jesus... I was
    5'3 106 LBS 19 years old ... Scrawny. Little to no muscle mass.

lifted for 2.5 months.. took time off.. back to the drawing board as of 5/13/07.. was 125 lbs at this time.

now 5'3 120 lbs, 20 years old. Lean. No fat. enjoyable muscle mass that I'm fairly proud of. Always looking to increase though... and I need an abdominal exercise I can do from home. suggestions please.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Abs are just like any other muscle. Once a week works for me. 3-4 times a week for ANY muscle is overtraining in my opinion. Twice a week is pushing it depending on intenisty, sets, and how close to failure you work.
    Nick V

Yeah I would say 7 days a week is definitely too much for the abs. One question I have is: how many repetitions and sets you do for your ab exercises?

As unreal said, skeletal muscle throughout the body pretty uniform. Working one muscle out the way you would work another is a good 'theme'.
    ...........||High School||.....||July '05||.......||January '09||
    Bench.........225x1...............275x1.................?
    Squat...........?.......................?....................365x5
    Deadlift........?.....................315x5...............435x5
    Weight........180...................192...................185
    BF%.............?......................12.....................12
    Time to Get Ripped
    Pictures of Me

Wannabebig Member
    I do pecs 1 time a week, and abs 3 times, m,w,f. Monday,Wednesday high rep crunches not much burn no weight. Friday weighted crunches 3 sets of 10.

Mon and Wed abs are more to get my midsection ready for heavy lifting but added a little training. Mainly just count on 1 day a week per muscle.

do you do legs? shoulders? back? arms? i'd suggest looking at the wbb #1 routine....
    Height: 6'
    Weight: 175
    BF: 12%
    Bench: 175
    Squat: 225
    Deadlift: soon...
    Time Lifting: 2 yrs.
    Started as a skinny 95 pound wimp.

sounds like you overwork every excise. You should only work each bodypart once a week.
    My Journal
    http://wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=119765

I think this is possibly the all-time best response on WBB. - Jorge Sanchez

"you're an animal eat like one damn it!" - Wikked1

"Now we're finally getting to the chicken or the egg question," I grinned. "Did I eat all that food because my size gives me more of an appetite, or did I get to be this big because I've been forcing myself to eat like this for years?"

From A Body Builder is Born

i knew you were a beast but not that kinda of a beast that eats grown men and children.. lilmase

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by cphafner
    sounds like you overwork every excise. You should only work each bodypart once a week.
    not something i would really generalize about...many people work muscles twice a week without a problem, ive been experimenting with it and it seems to be going good for me too, though i doubt i could keep a year long routine based off of it

Quote Originally Posted by greathuskie
    not something i would really generalize about...many people work muscles twice a week without a problem, ive been experimenting with it and it seems to be going good for me too, though i doubt i could keep a year long routine based off of it
    I disagree. I think any natural lifter will quickly overtrain working a muscle 2x's a week.
    My Journal

"Now we're finally getting to the chicken or the egg question," I grinned. "Did I eat all that food because my size gives me more of an appetite, or did I get to be this big because I've been forcing myself to eat like this for years?"

i knew you were a beast but not that kinda of a beast that eats grown men and children.. lilmase

Well it's up for argument but Banshee Ben do yourself a favor and just stick with weighted crunches. Regular high-rep sets of crunches stimulate slow twitch muscle fibers which aren't very useful when it comes to muscle size and strength increases as it promotes endurance instead. Unless of course you are lifting for endurance, then you can stick with it but I don't know of many people who are doing ab exercises for endurance.
    ...........||High School||.....||July '05||.......||January '09||
    Bench.........225x1...............275x1.................?
    Squat...........?.......................?....................365x5
    Deadlift........?.....................315x5...............435x5
    Weight........180...................192...................185
    BF%.............?......................12.....................12
    Time to Get Ripped
    Pictures of Me

Senior Member Canadian Crippler's Avatar
    I disagree. I think any natural lifter will quickly overtrain working a muscle 2x's a week.
    I strongly, strongly, strongly disagree. My gains working the movements 2x's a week were far better than when I had it as 1x a week.
    "I added some db curls with the pink weights for a bit of a burn." - Rookiebldr

"im assuming the holy (big) 3 are: curls, bench, legs?" - Saggas

"had a huge ass burn on my triceps while I was doing those kickbacks, so they'll likely be staying with my exercise program." - Zearoth

"most of my burned calories coming from something called Basal. Wtf does a leaf have to do with any of it?" - Votorx

"We have a lot of people like that on our campus, all hippies and things, that go around preaching against corporations, jocks, preps, accountants, and anyone else that feels the need to shower more than occasionally." - Shankerr

"Damn man why are some women just so demonic and evil.. its like you wanna get a stake and mallet and an erection at the same time." - WBBIRL

i wouldnt recommed strong work outs for abs 7x a week, but doing planks every day shouldnt be a problem

Quote Originally Posted by Canadian Crippler
    I strongly, strongly, strongly disagree. My gains working the movements 2x's a week were far better than when I had it as 1x a week.
    There is no one right answer in lifting philosophies. I believe anything more than once a week is over kill. Noone knows what works best for them until they try different rountines/schemes. I always agree to disagree.
    My Journal

Banned
    There is no one right answer in lifting philosophies. I believe anything more than once a week is over kill. Noone knows what works best for them until they try different rountines/schemes. I always agree to disagree.
    blah thats what i said

anyways...

it all comes down to volume per week....8 working sets twice a week isn't that different from 16 sets at one time, once a week (numbers just to express point, not a reflection of my feeling towards proper overall volume)
    PRs: 655/525/645 = 1825 Total
    Meet PRs: Bench Only 525

Deadlifts bring people together. It's a fact. - Chris Rodgers

Banned
    I havent had a prob. working a body part twice a week.

Time is just made up, you body cant tell a tuesday from a saterday. deffently give your body time to rest, dont work out too sore, but dont not work out because you worked out you chest on monday and its friday and you wanna work on your chest again.

also. if for example (chest) you do bench, pec-deck and cable crossovers, on monday then on thursday do, inlince, dip and decline or somthing like that, switch between dumbells and barbells.

stuff like that.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Unreal
    Abs are just like any other muscle. Once a week works for me. 3-4 times a week for ANY muscle is overtraining in my opinion. Twice a week is pushing it depending on intenisty, sets, and how close to failure you work.

abs are not like every muscle. 3-4 days a week on abs is not over training.

You're wrong, plain and simple. I don't think you understand that if you work something more than once a week, it isn't with as much volume each session as it would be if it was just once a week.
    Last edited by khari; 01-24-2006 at 12:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Calibur7
    abs are not like every muscle. 3-4 days a week on abs is not over training.
    If what you mean by "training abs" is: deads, squats, and overhead press, then fine. Go ahead.

There is no need to train your abs directly (with crunches or situps or whatever) more than any other muscle, and probably less need, actually.

The journal / I live here.

If I were to start from scratch as a young 13 year old again, I would do every press, squat, and perhaps deadlifts, for my entire career with chains. -- Dan John

Senior Member Canadian Crippler's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sidior
    it all comes down to volume per week....8 working sets twice a week isn't that different from 16 sets at one time, once a week (numbers just to express point, not a reflection of my feeling towards proper overall volume)
    Exactly. I've switched between about 4 routines and every time I come up with the volume I want per X amount of time (usually 7 days), and divide it like that. 12 sets one day, 6 sets two days, 4 sets 3 days... all give you the same amount of training.
    "I added some db curls with the pink weights for a bit of a burn." - Rookiebldr

"im assuming the holy (big) 3 are: curls, bench, legs?" - Saggas

"had a huge ass burn on my triceps while I was doing those kickbacks, so they'll likely be staying with my exercise program." - Zearoth

"most of my burned calories coming from something called Basal. Wtf does a leaf have to do with any of it?" - Votorx

"We have a lot of people like that on our campus, all hippies and things, that go around preaching against corporations, jocks, preps, accountants, and anyone else that feels the need to shower more than occasionally." - Shankerr

"Damn man why are some women just so demonic and evil.. its like you wanna get a stake and mallet and an erection at the same time." - WBBIRL

Quote Originally Posted by Sidior
    It comes down to working sets, intensity, your own bodies ability to heal, age, sleep, diet.. Its all what works for people. Myself, I had about the same results doing twice per week with the same volume and intensity I did once per week. I went back to 1x as it wasn't making a difference other then having me spend more time in the gym.

That said, regardless of whether we think 1 or 2 times a week is decent for people, I doubt you'll find many people saying 7 times (abs) or 4 times a week (chest) with any intensity is probably the best for growth. Try building a routine where you are working the body parts once or twice per week depending on your own preference. Any more and chances are you won't be growing or giving your body time to heal and adapt.
    LaLa

Quote Originally Posted by khari
    You're wrong, plain and simple. I don't think you understand that if you work something more than once a week, it isn't with as much volume each session as it would be if it was just once a week.
    Well I still disagree. Like I said earlier it is my opinion, and what I have learned works for me over the last 9 years I have been lifting. Since you have never posted a picture, or a single session/lift of yours, your opinion matters nothing to me.
    Last edited by cphafner; 01-24-2006 at 06:52 PM.
    My Journal

Nope. Not if that lifter incorporates periodization strategies. I kinda-sorta use undulating periodization, and everything on me pretty much gets hit twice a week in different rep ranges and tempos.