The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

What is the optimum level of bulking?

What is the optimum level of bulking?

I mean, do you bulk until you reach your desired weight? Until you reach a certain weight based on body type or previous weight? Until a certain level of body fat has been reached?

For instance, I've put on a little over 20 pounds in a short space of time, whilst lifting weights (say about 8 weeks). Of that, a certain percentage has definately ended up as fat, judging by the stretch marks on my glutes and the small fat deposit under my breasts. I was a skinny guy who had maybe 12-15% body fat. Now it would be in the 15-20% range. I've decided to stop bulking and begin a phase of fat reduction, by cutting down on my calorie intake and doing cardio on my off days. But is this the right thing to do?

My goal is to still put on at least another 20-40 pounds of lean weight. Is putting on 2 pounds a week, when I was bulking, too fast? What sort of bulk and diet cycles should I use?

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

It depends on a host of factors.

How fat are you willing to get?

How big do you want to be?

How long does it take you to put on a lot of weight?

When do your strength gains dry up?

Etc, etc.
    Squats work better than supplements.
    "You know, if I thought like that, I'd never put more than one plate on the bar for anything, I'd never use bands or chains, I'd never squat to parallel or below, and I'd never let out the slightest grunt when I lift. At some point in your lifting career (assuming you're planning on getting reasonably strong and big), you're going to have to accept that most people think you are some kind of freak." -Sensei
    "You're wrong, and I have a completely irrelevant pubmed abstract that may or may not say so." - Belial
    I has a blog.
    I has a facebook.

I am in the same boat you are...

I started working out in November and weighed about 150 pounds (15% body fat). I now weigh 170 but have put on a little fat to go along with the additional mustle.

I plan to keep gaining for another 6 weeks or so and try to get to 175 - 180 (Jeans will be getting tight at about 20% body fat). I will then go on a cutting routine to get down to about 165 (10 - 15% bodyfat). Therefore, my bodyfat will be back to where it was before (or less) but I am 15 pounds heavier.

I will continue at that point to maintain or even drop more fat until the end of the summer. Then next fall I will attempt to gain another 25 pounds, etc..., etc..., etc...

personally i plan to train until March or until i have reached my weight goal, whichever comes first, then I will cut for the spring and summer then start over again next fall.. Just take into consideration your goals and adjust accordingly..

Well I don't want to get too fat. I'm not happy with my proportions at the moment. My gut seems to have a predeposition to hold the most fat by far. Its almost like a belt of fat. And the breast fat is something I am not used to, so it seems unsightly to me. Also most of my pants don't fit me any more, because my waist and legs have gotten larger, and I've had to go out and buy more. I don't want to have to do that again, unless the its because my legs are cut and have huge muscles.

Well Paul...

So I am not willing to get any fatter.

I want to be about 40 pounds heavier.

Well now it takes no effort to put on weight. My metabolism or something has taken an about face. I lifted weights for about 2 years and ate well and only put on about 2 pounds in those 2 years. That was about 6 years ago when I gave up. This time it was 2+ pounds a week.

And I'm not sure what you mean by strength gains drying up?

So I guess I answered my own question? That means its individual, right? There are no known issues or standards involved in this? How often can you change your dieting in a period of time before it messes with other factors?

Hey ultraviolence, im in the same position u are... kinda... well actually im looking to bulk up.... and you sound like you did a good job so far so could you do me a favor, (and probably a few other people wanting to bulk up) and post how much you ate... like protein, calories, carbs, and fat grams a day... and also are you taking any supplements like creatine, or anything even just plain protein. I want to bulk up to so please help out man.... i would appreciate it so much, give a little get a little... thanks a lot bro...

:)

Originally posted by hidethecookies
    Hey ultraviolence, im in the same position u are... kinda... well actually im looking to bulk up.... and you sound like you did a good job so far so could you do me a favor, (and probably a few other people wanting to bulk up) and post how much you ate... like protein, calories, carbs, and fat grams a day... and also are you taking any supplements like creatine, or anything even just plain protein. I want to bulk up to so please help out man.... i would appreciate it so much, give a little get a little... thanks a lot bro...
    No probs. First of all, I was always a hard gainer. So now looking back on this latest success, I've come to a number of conclusions.

1- My lifestyle is slower more of the time.

I don't work in a large office any more, where i have to run around doing stuff.

2- I sleep properly now.

No less than 8 hours a day.

3- I eat regularly. I only missed one meal the whole time.

I didn't worry about numbers in my diet. I noted what I ate previously. That was maintaining my weight. So I tripled my food intake. That way I was sure I'd have to put on a little weight. I also took cheap protein powder for the first 5 weeks to add a couple more meals a day. I made sure I didn't eat crap food very often. I ate more meats, more fish, more veges and more carbs. Much bigger breakfasts and lunch. Hardly ever any junk food, and maybe beer weekly (except around christmas...hehe..then it was daily) At first I had to force myself to eat. It was not fun. But now I get hungry most of the time because I've cut back to 3 smaller meals a day in my efforts to drop the fat. I guessed I was getting enough of everything because I was putting on more than fat. I eat 1/2-1 pound steaks and about 3 potatoes at dinner time and about 2 cups of veges. I eat cans of tuna, and **** loads of wheat biscuits. I eat bread. Most of those foods have enough protein and carbs to easily do me for a day. I guess the level of fat is plenty.

4- I stopped smoking, a couple of weeks prior to starting lifting again.

All that did was allow my appetite to reign free. I didn't substitute food for ciggies, but instead enjoyed my meals more. Stopping smoking also made me drink a lot less alcohol.

5- I followed the WBB routine.

I used their 3 day split almost exactly as it says. It meant I was lifting heavier but less often. I didnt do any cardio at the same time I was bulking, except a little for warming up.

So you can see that all I did was change my entire lifestyle from unhealthy to healthy. I didn't use any scientific formulaes, but instead made sure I ate lots. Stuff doing math every day just to make sure I don't eat 5 gs too much fat, etc. More than I've ever eaten in my life and more than I've ever seen other people eat. I think it was overkill.

Hope that helped.

Also...

Don't be put off by the fact you start off eating for about half the day. It used to take me 1/2 hour to eat breakfast, 1/2 hour for lunch, and about an hour for dinner. Not to mention the time involved in preparing the meals and eating snacks/between meals.

It was a shock for me going from 1-2 small meals a day to 3 large meals and 3 small meals a day.

But...

...when I was a teenager, I ate at least 6 high, carb, high protein meals a day and didnt put on weight. So lifestyle and growth stages must play a large part.

Wannabebig New Member
    when you reach this point...
    Last edited by Wizard; 01-13-2002 at 04:08 AM.
    Love the pain, live the pain.

Dennis,I'm sorry but the pic was disgusting...