The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Its no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

"Pro" Powerlifting

The following is a post by Jason Burnell in another forum talking about "pro" powerlifters:

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Burnell
    If powerlifters want to see the top "athletes" get paid and over the years I've heard a whole lot of APFers praise the PRO CONCEPT, then you have to face facts.

1) Fact 1 - the money has to come from somewhere. Right now, if Kidder dropped dead from a high blood pressure - possibly induced by that tiny ass jacket - the money for the WPO would stop and aside from the CUP there would be no constant $$$ flowing into the Pro Concept... unless you count the handfull of bench bashes etc.

Fact 2) Money for anything with weights comes from supplement companies - fitness, bodybuilding etc. and if we want to see powerliftiers getting paid then we need to jump on that "selling a dream" bandwagon ....unless someone can tell me of the other multi-million dollar industry willing to pay people money to lift weights.

Fact 3) Fat and bald is no way to go through life. Add in a few tattoos and some flames and skulls and you've got what "normal" people call an image problem.

Fact 4) Miss 70% of your lifts in front of crowds and you just look stupid - on top of fat, bald tatooed etc.

FACT 5) NOBODY buys fatburners or even weight gainer to look like anyone that is a SHWt powerlifter. I think I touched on this when I mentioned that Twinlabs isn't selling Fat****erFuel.

FACT 6) The world is full of 160 lb men who desperately want to get stronger and dream of weighing a massive 198 lbs. Those are the guys buying supplements and not a one of them wants to look like.... well anyone who is taking offense at this post.

Fact 7) Backne. Bloated. Balding. The three B's are a no-no. ACtually, Bald is still in but you actually have to have features to your face. If you look like a red eyed casaba melon chances are they're not laughing with you, they're laughing at you.

Fact 8) This is still America and sexy, blonde, white, in shape people can sell anything. Also, mentioning that something has been "used in Europe for years" helps but I digress.

Kennelly would sell. Yoked - square jaw, benches a lot.

Mendelson could sell. Same as above except bigger and looks sort of like Shrek (I mean that in a good way) but gets a dispensation for benching a whole lot.

Wade Hooper could sell. _A whole generation of short, small guys would sell their kidneys to be built like or lift like Hoop and if DwarfyFuel promises to do it, they'll buy it.

Goggins could sell. Ok... Goggins is a colored feller but yolked up brothers everywhere would buy man-in-a-can after watching Goggins pull.

Coan could sell. He couldn't sell tanning lotion but just short guys everywhere want to be 242 and lift like him.

Conyers. See Goggins but add in short.

Becca. I saw here in person once and I wanted to be as big as she is. Then she outlifted me. Now I hate her. LOL

Kara Bohegian. A drowning man would buy water if it came with Kara's DVD.
    A child does not learn to squat from the top down. In other words, he does not suddenly make a conscious decision one day to squat. Actually, he is squatting one day and make the conscious decision to stand. Squatting precedes standing in the developmental sequence. This is the way a child's brain learns to use the body as the child develops movement patterns. Therefore, a child is probably crawling, rocks back into a squatting position with the back completely relaxed and the hips completely flexed, and stands when he has enough hip strength. This approach makes a lot of sense and can be applied to relearning the deep squat movement if it is lost. -Gray Cook
    Lifting Clips: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=johnnymnemonic2
    Blog: http://squatrx.blogspot.com/

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

I think most powerlifters have a similar attitude to mine.

I lift for me, not for you.

Stats: Age: 34 Weight: 205 Height: 5'6"
    Gym PRs: Squat:635 Bench:560 Deadlift:495
    Meet PRs: Squat:575 Bench:525 Deadlift:510 Total: 1605@220

Of course. But, a lot of athletes, people and promoters would like to see powerlifting grow into something other than the fringe sport that it is.

Someone mentioned PL and the olympics in another thread. Jason's comments could definately apply to that discussion as well.

edit: Anyway, I've always liked Jason Burnell's commentary on PL - usually witty and true. Just thought I'd share it here.
    Last edited by Sensei; 01-22-2006 at 10:55 AM.
    A child does not learn to squat from the top down. In other words, he does not suddenly make a conscious decision one day to squat. Actually, he is squatting one day and make the conscious decision to stand. Squatting precedes standing in the developmental sequence. This is the way a child's brain learns to use the body as the child develops movement patterns. Therefore, a child is probably crawling, rocks back into a squatting position with the back completely relaxed and the hips completely flexed, and stands when he has enough hip strength. This approach makes a lot of sense and can be applied to relearning the deep squat movement if it is lost. -Gray Cook

What site is that from?

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

I think it's originally from the APF Outlaw forums.

Powerlifting should never become a pro sport IMHO. The usage of gear, and the poor ways to detect it are well poor and they hurt the sport. Some guy whos trained his whole life clean would be cheated if some gear head managed to manipulate the testing system and won a clean meet. But again these are only my thoughts, the world doesnt have to stop for them.

I don't see any case where a chemically enhanced lifter would try to cheat a test. There are more than enough untested meets out there so this should never happen. Those of us that elect to get tested still have a fair and level playing field. Also, there's no bitching in powerlifting, so I don't think you're going to find too many natural lifters whining about those who use AAS.

Stats: Age: 34 Weight: 205 Height: 5'6"
    Gym PRs: Squat:635 Bench:560 Deadlift:495
    Meet PRs: Squat:575 Bench:525 Deadlift:510 Total: 1605@220

Does this guy think all PLers are SHW and bald? I don't even think he likes them by the way he talks.
    "You can take control of my mind and my body, but there is one thing a Saiyan always keeps.... his PRIDE!"- Vegeta

My Exploits

HAHA that was awesome sensei...

"Wade Hooper could sell. _A whole generation of short, small guys would sell their kidneys to be built like or lift like Hoop and if DwarfyFuel promises to do it, they'll buy it."

Laughed my nuts off when I read that one. Im not stomping my foot at the fact that PLing is just a fringe sport but I think it would definitelly be cool to see it added to the Olympics. I love it either way so meh, we'll see what happens.
    Last edited by KevinStarke; 01-22-2006 at 01:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Hatfield
    Does this guy think all PLers are SHW and bald? I don't even think he likes them by the way he talks.
    Jason is a national-level competitor in the USAPL and occassionally competes in the APF. He's 5'7" and usually competes in the 220 class, so he's not exactly a lightweight. He has a lot of friends in PL - many who are bald, superheavyweights.

Kevin,
    Yeah, I agree. "Fat****er Fuel" is classic too...

Great post always talk of pro devisions. I would rather see it on espn than some of the wsm comps.
    WBBIRL what about every other sport BB, football, basketball probably has alot more chemically enhanced than you would realize. People still claim Lance Armstrong is cheatin and they test very strict.
    Remember, to get big, you have to get strong. The two are interconnected. Lift heavy, work hard, and size will come. Like night follows day. It works. Arnold
    Do work son. Big Black (Rob and Big)

HAHA yah that got me too sensei.

Yah WBBIRL look at EVERY other sport, you think theirs no cheatin goin on?

Hey in powerlifting events all you see is people performing squat, bench, and deadlift?...because if so I question the appeal of wanting to watch such a show.

I still admire the dedication and work ethic it took to get that strong regardless.
    Blood, Sweat, and Years (My Journal)

You WILL hate yourself later if you actually commit to the lifestyle and your legs are lagging.

-Hatred

I'll be honest, I love competing and while its fun as a powerlifter to see other guys move big weight your average audience would probably be bored in to submission.

Iron4Life
    I'm with Kevin and Utopian... PL is just not a broad based fan sport... not even OLY lifting gets much attendance... after all, how many people like to watch a bench shirt blow out at 960 lbs?

I think the WSM has a much better chance of survival and really thriving... it's just more action.

Quote Originally Posted by bearwolfden
    I'm with Kevin and Utopian... PL is just not a broad based fan sport... not even OLY lifting gets much attendance...
    Maybe. Maybe not. OL used to get A LOT of coverage in the early 70s. PL was on Wide World of Sports regularly in the late 70s and early, early 80s. Powerliftng is AT LEAST as much fun to watch as a spelling bee or Magik the Gathering tournament...

Powerlifting is like pretty much any other individual sport where the competition is in a meet format (track, weightlifting, etc). There isn't all that much interest in pro shotputting, either.

The issue is that powerlifters at a high level spend lots of money on the sport, and want to be able to get something out of it, instead of having 'all' the money go to promoters. Fact is, there just isn't much money in it. Jason points that out nicely. Further, the money comes from sponsors, and fat bloated tomato headed bald guys just don't sell to the average Joe, unless they are selling Lipitor or motorcycles.

There isn't much money in weightlifting, either. The 'getting it into the olympics' discussion is different. Getting powerlifting into the olympics will require unification, and require severe limitations (or elimination) of powerlifting gear.
    Squats work better than supplements.
    "You know, if I thought like that, I'd never put more than one plate on the bar for anything, I'd never use bands or chains, I'd never squat to parallel or below, and I'd never let out the slightest grunt when I lift. At some point in your lifting career (assuming you're planning on getting reasonably strong and big), you're going to have to accept that most people think you are some kind of freak." -Sensei
    "You're wrong, and I have a completely irrelevant pubmed abstract that may or may not say so." - Belial
    I has a blog.
    I has a facebook.

Iced Earth - Stormrider ArchAngel777's Avatar
    OL is dead in America, practically speaking. I think last time I checked there was only 1,500 people in America competing... :-/ Local meets here in Minnesota were about 10 - 13 people competing accross all the class and sexes. That was back in 1997. Perhaps there are more now... The rest of the world takes it seriously though.

The post is quite funny above...

I would be perfectly fine with having powerlifting be RAW only if it were in the olympics.

Quote Originally Posted by KevinStarke
    I'll be honest, I love competing and while its fun as a powerlifter to see other guys move big weight your average audience would probably be bored in to submission.
    Maybe to fix that:

Upon entry every fan has to get under a 200lb bb to bench it. Regardless of completion, they can enter now. Same thing with Squat and Deadlift. That way they'd appreciate it more.
    "You can take control of my mind and my body, but there is one thing a Saiyan always keeps.... his PRIDE!"- Vegeta

My Exploits

Iced Earth - Stormrider ArchAngel777's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick Hatfield
    Maybe to fix that:

Upon entry every fan has to get under a 200lb bb to bench it. Regardless of completion, they can enter now. Same thing with Squat and Deadlift. That way they'd appreciate it more.
    I don't think that would solve anything... Force someone to be a fan in your sport? Besides, that is an elitest view.

I can't see any chance of powerlifting becoming pro.

Generally, the only spectators at events, are family of competing powerlifters, and injured powerlifters.

Another point, is that there is such a disparity in rules amongst organizations, that standardization probably will never happen.

Sometimes, when I watch a video of an APF lift, I just shake my head, but then realize that it's their feds rules, and not every association is going to be the same.

Third, I agree, if you are going to show the biggest, strongest powerlifters, they are going to be big, fat and bald. So there really is almost nothing going for powerlifting that could even feasibly be considered marketable.

It's a bunch of freaks, that love to lift big. This appeals to other freaks who want to lift big and that's about it. Powerlifting is the D&D of gym hobbies. It's great if you love it, but you certainly are probably going to be in the minority.

I love it, but wouldn't expect too high a percentage of others to love it as well.
    Deadlifts are like women, they'll hurt you everytime, but they'll also make you a man. - Me

Friends don't let friends do dumbell kickbacks. - Me

ElP is the smartest man in the world. - Gyno Rhino

A low voter turnout is an indication of fewer people going to the polls. -- Dan Quayle

If do right, no can defense. -- Mr. Miyagi

Deep Thoughts by Jack Handey:

I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it.

Is there anything more beautiful than a beautiful, beautiful flamingo, flying across in front of a beautiful sunset? And he's carrying a beautiful rose in his beak, and also he's carrying a very beautiful painting with his feet. And also, you're drunk.

Current FFFA Enforcer

Twinlabs isn't selling Fat****erFuel.
    I almost fell out of my chair when I read that. I think if I ever decide to create a supplement, that's what I'll call it.

True dat on the pro thing. I don't see it happening. I DO think it could get more exposure than it does now. The success of the old Hawaiian Record Breakers meets and now Bench America shows that there is an audience.

Getting it in the Olympics would be the ultimate, but there are definitely some legitimacy issues that would need to be overcome before that ever happens, as well as some serious coordination among boosters and organizers to be able to settle on appropriate standards.
    5'9" 195 lbs
    DL 600x1
    SQ 490x1 (raw)
    BP 430x1 (shirted), 320x1 (raw)
    SN 209x1 C+J 250x1

My Training Journal
    www.illinipowerlifting.org

"Most people don't want to learn new things. They only want to hear about things that validate crap they're already doing." - Mike Boyle

I don't think anyone actually believes that PL could be like pro basketball or baseball...

It certainly could be A LOT more popular than it is now and, IMHO, it could at least be in the same ballpark as BB if it was marketed well. Like Jason Burnell said, there are a lot of people like Kara Bohigian and Ryan Kennelly who could sell - Captain Kirk and Eddie could have sold - Kaz and Larry Pacifico DID sell somewhat back in the day.
    Last edited by Sensei; 01-23-2006 at 02:20 PM.

Kennelly would sell. Yoked - square jaw, benches a lot.

Mendelson could sell. Same as above except bigger and looks sort of like Shrek (I mean that in a good way) but gets a dispensation for benching a whole lot.

Wade Hooper could sell. _A whole generation of short, small guys would sell their kidneys to be built like or lift like Hoop and if DwarfyFuel promises to do it, they'll buy it.

Goggins could sell. Ok... Goggins is a colored feller but yolked up brothers everywhere would buy man-in-a-can after watching Goggins pull.

Coan could sell. He couldn't sell tanning lotion but just short guys everywhere want to be 242 and lift like him.

Conyers. See Goggins but add in short.

Becca. I saw here in person once and I wanted to be as big as she is. Then she outlifted me. Now I hate her. LOL
    So you just rant about how impossible it is to market powerlifting, yet then point out various powerlifters who could easily appeal to a wide variety of people.

You can't take things out of context by assuming that all powerlifters are fat and bloated. There are plenty of smaller guys who have a look plenty of guys afraid of getting huge would like, not to mention a ton of strength to go with it. There are even heavyweights that are pretty lean for their bodyweight, and that looks pretty damn impressive.

If powerlifting were properly advertised it could be big enough for a 'pro' classification. Look at how many football teams, strongmen, and athletes in general use some type of powerlifting in their training(or have in the past)...
    Squat...Eat...Sleep...Grow...Repeat