Thread: How many sets/reps Should I do

How many sets/reps Should I do

Hey I've heard so many theories on the best routines and amount of reps/sets I have no idea what to think. I'll just lay my question at the feet of the very knowledgeable WBB general public. Any advice? I'm looking to put on muscle and mass I've put on about 30 lbs. so far and I have two months left before I cut. Already looked/used the WBB routines looking to try this out though.

Mon. Chest/Bis

Flat Bench Press
    Incline Bench
    Barbell Incline Shoulder Raise

Barbell Curl
    Preacher Curl
    Abs

Tues. Legs

Squats
    Leg Extensions
    Lying Leg Curls
    Barbell Calf Raise

Wed. OFF

Thurs. Delts/Tris

Barbell Military Press
    Barbell Upright Row
    Barbell Rear Delt Row

Skull Crushers
    Dumbbell Tricep Extensions
    Overhead Tricep Extensions

Fri. OFF

Sat. Back

Barbell Bent over Rows
    Pull ups
    Pull Overs
    Shrugs
    Dead lifts
    Abs

Sun. Chest/Bis

I like 5x5 for the heavy compound lift, then 3x8-12 for accessory lifts.

Keep the total sets to around 20 for a workout.

Does this help?

Iced Earth - Stormrider ArchAngel777's Avatar
    While there are several work schedules they all share one thing in common, "Consistancy". You need to keep at it and not fuss over the sets/reps so much. Built gave you a good template or some ideas... But the true success is only if you stick to the plan. Otherwise you are going to be aimlessly training and when that happens, aimless results arise.
    Last edited by ArchAngel777; 01-25-2006 at 02:52 PM.

Banned
    just do both heavy loads, low reps, and lighter loads higher reps.
    Last edited by Calibur7; 01-25-2006 at 03:10 PM.

As a really GENERAL guide....Big bodyparts go with 8-10 sets total
    Smaller body parts - 1-6 sets total..

Having said that, you'll find tons of posts on what reps/sets scheme are the best....I agree with what ArchAngel said...figure out a rep/set scheme that you can handle and that you feel comfortable with. If it's too much or too little readjust but you'll be the best judge of what's best for you. Also, on your leg day, you may want to add another exercise (leg press, lunges, front squats, hack squats, etc). That's a big bodypart that can handle the work....and from a strictly personal point of view, I think any of the exercises above would serve you better than leg extensions (IMHO).

Don't worry Angel I do keep very good consistency even though it may not appear that way by my constant routine questions. I've stuck with the same routine for a while now and I'm just looking to broaden my horizons and learn a new thing or two.
    Yeah Built that advice helped a lot! I've wanted to try the 5x5 so I'll give that a shot.

Quote Originally Posted by Ja113
    Also, on your leg day, you may want to add another exercise (leg press, lunges, front squats, hack squats, etc). That's a big bodypart that can handle the work....and from a strictly personal point of view, I think any of the exercises above would serve you better than leg extensions (IMHO).
    Thanks. I know this schedule has to be messed with a little and I'll keep those exercises in mind.