The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Shoulda been a meso... puny_ectomorph's Avatar

Basic heavy and light

After several months on my current bulk routine, I'm going to switch things up and add a bit more of a powerlifting emphasis. Here's what I've come up with:

Twice a week, Monday and Thursday (I only go 2x a week due to a very limited recovery capability that I've discovered over the past eight months)

Monday: heavy bench and squat, 3-5 sets 5 reps, 85% of max; barbell rows and/or pulls for 2-3 x 8-12

Thursday: heavy deads, 3-5 x 5 at 85%, light bench and box squat, 2 x 12 at around 60% of max; assorted tinkering to work on weaknesses (don't know what my weaknesses are yet, so this will be a touch-and-go kind of deal)

Heavy deads will be worked every other week; on in-between weeks I'll work them at 60-65% to work on speed.

This is what I've come up with from a lot of reading and research; most of this routine is inspired by Paul Kelso. I'm not looking for a strict, exact-percentages-exact-reps-exact-sets type of routine, as I'm still learning after 8 months of basic training, and Westside-style stuff just confuses the hell out of me.

I would most definitely appreciate some tips, especially concerning progression. I'm not sure if I need to add weight every week, or increase percentages of 1 rm, or what. Thanks in advance.

-puny-
    Stats:
    height 5'10
    weight 187

Currently dl'ing 255 for 3 reps x 8 sets
    Goals:
    350 lb deadlift by Feb. 2007

"Squats and milk and nevermind if the principle is twenty years old." -Randall J. Strossen

"They don't know much about nutritional science, but they know enough to stick to the three basic food groups: Tex-Mex, Cajun and ranch." -Paul Kelso

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Do you know why your recovery is so hampered?

On the heavy stuff, just add weight as you can, and deload when you feel beat up.
    Squats work better than supplements.
    "You know, if I thought like that, I'd never put more than one plate on the bar for anything, I'd never use bands or chains, I'd never squat to parallel or below, and I'd never let out the slightest grunt when I lift. At some point in your lifting career (assuming you're planning on getting reasonably strong and big), you're going to have to accept that most people think you are some kind of freak." -Sensei
    "You're wrong, and I have a completely irrelevant pubmed abstract that may or may not say so." - Belial
    I has a blog.
    I has a facebook.

Shoulda been a meso... puny_ectomorph's Avatar
    At first I thought it was because I wasn't eating enough, or getting enough rest. I scheduled myself carefully and now consistently put down 4-5,000 calories a day and get 9-10 hours of sleep a night.

After the first six months of training, 3x a week, I realized that by the 3rd workout on Fridays I was worn out and beat, and didn't feel like being in the gym. So, I cut it down to 2x a week, and as such I'm much more fresh and ready to go when I hit the gym on Mondays and Thursdays. I'm a classic hardgainer, my original weight being 140 pounds when I started.

Thanks for the advice!

-puny-
    Last edited by puny_ectomorph; 01-26-2006 at 08:35 AM.
    Stats:
    height 5'10
    weight 187

Currently dl'ing 255 for 3 reps x 8 sets
    Goals:
    350 lb deadlift by Feb. 2007

"Squats and milk and nevermind if the principle is twenty years old." -Randall J. Strossen

"They don't know much about nutritional science, but they know enough to stick to the three basic food groups: Tex-Mex, Cajun and ranch." -Paul Kelso

Do what you can man your routine looks pretty solid to me, I personally dont like to bench and squat or deadlift in the same day but if it works for you I dont see why not. Best thing to do is give the routine a shot for a few weeks and see how you like it. With bench though my advice is to not pick weight that will cause you to do forced reps pick weight you know you'll be able to hit 5 reps with.

What you have looks fine to me too. Personally, if I had time, I would add a third day for auxiliary work (abs, rotator cuff, weaknesses, etc.). I generally don't go above 3 reps w. DL, but that's just me.
    A child does not learn to squat from the top down. In other words, he does not suddenly make a conscious decision one day to squat. Actually, he is squatting one day and make the conscious decision to stand. Squatting precedes standing in the developmental sequence. This is the way a child's brain learns to use the body as the child develops movement patterns. Therefore, a child is probably crawling, rocks back into a squatting position with the back completely relaxed and the hips completely flexed, and stands when he has enough hip strength. This approach makes a lot of sense and can be applied to relearning the deep squat movement if it is lost. -Gray Cook
    Lifting Clips: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=johnnymnemonic2
    Blog: http://squatrx.blogspot.com/