Thread: water weight

water weight

how can you tell between water weight and what your actual body weight is? I thought i had gained 3 pounds in muscle, but i think it was water weight.

Quote Originally Posted by homeboy7600
    how can you tell between water weight and what your actual body weight is? I thought i had gained 3 pounds in muscle, but i think it was water weight.
    BF. And you'll know if you go up 5lbs in one day that it's probably water weight or something like that...
    Full Powerlifting
    Squat - 595lbs -- 270kg -- Dec. 31, '09 (Provincial Record @100kg class)
    Bench - 374lbs -- 170kg -- Dec 20, '08 (@100kg class)
    Dead - 589lbs -- 267.5kg -- Dec 20, '08 (Provincial Record @100kg class)
    Total: 1537lbs -- 697.5kg -- Dec 20, '08 (Provincial Record @ 100kg class)
    Bench Only -- 358lbs -- 162.5kg -- Nov. 25, '07 (Provincial Record @ 90kg class)
    Bench Only -- 376lbs -- 171kg -- Jan. 26, '08 (Provincial Record @ 100kg class)

You really can't tell how much water weight you are holding. Best way to gauge your water/waste weight is to just weigh yourself at different times in the day and see how the numbers vary. Most people weigh 3-5 lbs more in the evening than they do first thing in the morning, due to slight dehydration. If you want an accurate measure of your weight, just do it on the same day of each week, first thing in the morning, no clothes. If you haven't taken a ****, then subtract 1-2 lbs. This is by no means "perfect", but it's close enough.

Also, 3 lbs gain in lean body mass is very good. Get your bodyfat checked, then you can know a rough estimate of how much LBM you have. I would say that if you are consistantly weighing in (as described above) at 3-5 lbs more than you used to, then you have gained ~3 lbs, however; this is in no way all muscle. Probably more like 50-75% depending on your diet and assuming you are lifting regularly.
    32 yo - 5'6" - 170 lbs
    USAPL Meet PRs (Raw @154 lbs): 347 SQ, 242 BP, 507 DL, 1096 TOTAL
    Gym PRs: 370 SQ, 270 BP, 510 DL

The Riddle Of Iron - Kiaran's Garage Training Log

I'm pretty sure when you wake up is when you have the least amount of water weight.
    I went to Rhodestown and all I got was this high cholesterol

Kiaran pretty much explained it correctly. Just weigh yourself often and every day and then you can look at averages for a day or week, etc. and compare it to the average for the next week (or the week before, whatever). The averaging should help deal with the fluctuations.

For example: If your average for this week was 192 and last week was 191 you might not have really gained that much weight. But if you weighed 191 last week and a week or two you weigh (average) 194 or 195 then obviously you've gained some weight.

Hope that helps.
    ...........||High School||.....||July '05||.......||January '09||
    Bench.........225x1...............275x1.................?
    Squat...........?.......................?....................365x5
    Deadlift........?.....................315x5...............435x5
    Weight........180...................192...................185
    BF%.............?......................12.....................12
    Time to Get Ripped
    Pictures of Me