The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Thread: New Routine

BIG BOI

New Routine

i was thinking of a routine with alot of different rep ranges and i just wanted to know what u guys/gals thought of it..

monday-legs
    squats 5x5
    front squats 4x8-12
    leg ext. 3x12-15
    stiff leg deadlifts 5x5
    lying leg curls 4x8-12
    standing calf raises 4x8-12
    seated calf raises 3x12-15

wednesday-push
    bench press 5x5
    db low incline press 4x8-12
    flat flys 3x12-15
    standing military press 5x5
    wide upright rows 4x8-12
    db side laterals 3x12-15
    close bench press 5x5
    skull crushers 4x8-12

friday-pull
    1/4 deadlifts off pins 5x5
    rev. grip pulldowns 5x5
    t-bar rows 4x8-12
    db one arm rows 3x12-15
    bb curls 5x5
    hammer curls 4x8-12
    wrist curls 4x8-12

all of these arnt working sets this is total i would say its more like 2-3 are working per exercise.

the only thing is i guess it is alot of sets per workout but if i go by how many i would say are warmup then it cuts it down alot.

just lookin for opinions, hate it, love it, just want some feedback

thanks

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

This workout would take me 2+ hours to complete. A bit much on the volume, really. Suggestions:

Squats/Front Squats - choose one
    Leg Extension - axe this
    Seated/Standing Calf Raises - choose one
    Bench press/Low incline press - choose one
    Upright rows/Side laterals - choose one
    Skull crushers - axe this if you do everything else
    Curls/Hammer curls - choose one or axe these
    Wrist curls - not really necessary if you're doing deads

I still think it's too much, but to each their own.
    32 yo - 5'6" - 170 lbs
    USAPL Meet PRs (Raw @154 lbs): 347 SQ, 242 BP, 507 DL, 1096 TOTAL
    Gym PRs: 370 SQ, 270 BP, 510 DL

The Riddle Of Iron - Kiaran's Garage Training Log

Quote Originally Posted by Kiaran
    This workout would take me 2+ hours to complete. A bit much on the volume, really. Suggestions:

Squats/Front Squats - choose one
    Leg Extension - axe this
    Seated/Standing Calf Raises - choose one
    Bench press/Low incline press - choose one
    Upright rows/Side laterals - choose one
    Skull crushers - axe this if you do everything else
    Curls/Hammer curls - choose one or axe these
    Wrist curls - not really necessary if you're doing deads

I still think it's too much, but to each their own.
    Agreed with Kirian, far too much volume. Only thing I would differ with him on is not dropping either standing or seated calf raises. Doing both is good, but if you do drop one it should definetly be seated.
    Seated calf raises work the soleus. Stranding work primarily the gastrocenmecius (sp?) but don't completely neglect the soleus.
    Last edited by Behemoth; 01-26-2006 at 01:01 PM.
    accuflex - LOLZZZZ!!!11one1!! SOEM PPL WORK THRE ARMZ!!!!11!! LETS KILL THEM111

"You can fake effort with grunts and clanging weights but quiet, consistent hard work coupled with gradual strength increases earns universal respect in gyms" - Steve Colescott

I'd rather Situation be a member of this board. -Joey54

It depends on if you respond to high volume workouts or not. You have high numbers, so I'm sure you know what you're doing and what works well for you. I'm guessing your main goal is strength, correct?

I've done the same type of 5x5 routine before and it worked pretty well, although the 5 sets of 5 were all working sets.
    If I were doing it, I would throw out the leg extensions. The squats and front squats should be more than enough to blast your quads.
    I would ditch the flys on the chest workout and replace them with cable flys or a machine pressing movement. I really don't think flat db flys are worth it for chest. There are much better exercises out there. I also would definitely not be able to do a proper 5x5 for tris after doing it for chest and delts.
    I also think the wrist curls are unnecessary.
    Last edited by Beast; 01-26-2006 at 01:05 PM.

D 435 / S 340 / B 305

Journal

"I avoid talking to normal people about this stuff as much as possible. It's usually a waste of time." - HahnB

"OMG HE EETS 2 MUCH0RZ!!111 O NOES HE EETS TEH FATS!!!111" - PowerManDL

"Test does a body good." - Severed Ties

Quote Originally Posted by Behemoth
    Agreed with Kirian, far too much volume. Only thing I would differ with him on is not dropping either standing or seated calf raises. Doing both is good, but if you do drop one it should definetly be seated.
    Seated calf raises work the soleus. Stranding work primarily the gastrocenmecius (sp?) but don't completely neglect the soleus.
    Doesn't the soleus get plenty of work during squats and deads? I mean, the ankle doesn't just stay stiff during these movements; implying that the calves do plenty of work here. Ever watched someone's calves during these movements. Pretty cool actually.
    32 yo - 5'6" - 170 lbs
    USAPL Meet PRs (Raw @154 lbs): 347 SQ, 242 BP, 507 DL, 1096 TOTAL
    Gym PRs: 370 SQ, 270 BP, 510 DL

The Riddle Of Iron - Kiaran's Garage Training Log

Quote Originally Posted by Kiaran
    Doesn't the soleus get plenty of work during squats and deads? I mean, the ankle doesn't just stay stiff during these movements; implying that the calves do plenty of work here. Ever watched someone's calves during these movements. Pretty cool actually.
    I've never heard that before. I always knew they were used to stabilize but I'll have to look some stuff up. You are most likely right. I've always considered the soleus to be far inferior in size and strength of the calves. And for the most part only do standing work.

"You can fake effort with grunts and clanging weights but quiet, consistent hard work coupled with gradual strength increases earns universal respect in gyms" - Steve Colescott

http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/...FullSquat.html

that didn't take long. you are indeed correct.

BIG BOI
    thank you all for the quick replys.

to answer some questions...

Kiaran, that was the one main concern is the time. i normally cant go over a hour working out after only 40min. im wiped out so i guess i was kind of testing this but i can see myself not completing the last portion of the exercises i listed so your right. im doing now what you just said...like for quads i do squats and front squats and thats it.. or behind the neck press and uprights and thats it.

Beast, yes and no ive trained for a couple years but it was a long time ago and havnt trained for couple years for more then couple months at a time. im not new but im coming back from a long lay off and this will be about 1 months steady that ive ben workin out my strength isnt were it once was but i dont see any trouble reaching those numbers by june.
    my main goal... is not 100% strength but its more strength then size, im already a big guy and i dont see myself going under 275 ever so size isnt 2 much of a concern for me i do want larger muscles but im sure it will come with the strength but im already doing 5x5 and for example on squats and front squats, i do 5x5 on squats and 5x5 on front squats so i feel like maybe switching the second exercise i do more higher reps for the added "size rep range" im not getting from 5x5
    one question is i know wrist curls arnt that great(i dont know why i added them lol) but what else for added size? i dont use straps and dont plan so i get work from just everyday workouts

so would u guys say just leaving 2 exercises per muscle and having one 5x5 and the other 10-12 reps for 3-4 sets be better?

thanks again for your help guys.