The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Thread: No Flat Bench!

Hybrid View

Determined

No Flat Bench!

Due to shoulder issues, my clavical joint flames up after I do any kind of flat bench on chest day (barbell or dumbell). It is not bothered by incline bench or any other movements. Is it possible to hit the chest completely without doing flat bench? Could somebody put together a program for me? This is what I was doing on a typical chest day:

DB Flat 10, 8, 6, drop 8
    BB Incline 10, 8, 6, drop 8
    Incline DB Fly's 10, 8, 6, drop 8
    Pushups till failure

All sets except for drop sets are pretty much done till failure.
    Paul | 24 | 6'0"
    212 lbs

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

why till failure? incline is fine
    You will soon see Getfit in OngII Flying Knee Thingys of Doom see if the feisty greek can survive the kicks of Steel Leg From Shaolin Soccer,Dim Mak(def touch) from ChungLee,and Flying Crane by Daniel-san-El Pietro

Spray it with windex greek!-the famous El Pietro

You be quiet or i'll clean and press your narrow francophone self-Callahan

Lift for gains,not glory.Control your ego and the weight

What a strong girl! This leads me to believe you can severly injure most of the male population-Nick Hatfield

You're blazing white hot,anyone ever tell you that? Sometimes i think you have fingers faster then Superman when it comes to posts on WBB forums.
    Hot in terms of both speed and... well new hotness- Stash

gain 50lbs-Anthony

Quote Originally Posted by getfit
    why till failure? incline is fine
    I agree

I also stopped flat benching, and find decline BB, Incline BB and flat flys to be more than enough
    PRs: 655/525/645 = 1825 Total
    Meet PRs: Bench Only 525

Deadlifts bring people together. It's a fact. - Chris Rodgers

Quote Originally Posted by Sidior
    I also stopped flat benching, and find decline BB, Incline BB and flat flys to be more than enough
    Same here. I love flat DB presses, too.

D 435 / S 340 / B 305

Journal

"I avoid talking to normal people about this stuff as much as possible. It's usually a waste of time." - HahnB

"OMG HE EETS 2 MUCH0RZ!!111 O NOES HE EETS TEH FATS!!!111" - PowerManDL

"Test does a body good." - Severed Ties

Wannabebig New Member
    I agree

Ill agree as well. I never flat bench with a barbell. I will use the dumbells and do flat on the big exercise ball (hits the core), but never barbell. I love watching the guys who throw on a ton of weight and do 3 half ass reps. Its all about incline and decline.......with control.

well put Sidior.

Determined
    Quote Originally Posted by getfit
    why till failure?
    Why not?
    Paul | 24 | 6'0"
    212 lbs

Quote Originally Posted by Pjsb
    Due to shoulder issues, my clavical joint flames up after I do any kind of flat bench on chest day (barbell or dumbell). It is not bothered by incline bench or any other movements. Is it possible to hit the chest completely without doing flat bench? Could somebody put together a program for me? This is what I was doing on a typical chest day:

DB Flat 10, 8, 6, drop 8
    BB Incline 10, 8, 6, drop 8
    Incline DB Fly's 10, 8, 6, drop 8
    Pushups till failure

All sets except for drop sets are pretty much done till failure.
    There's no need to do 4 exercises for a single muscle group. In fact that's ludicrous in terms of getting the most out of your training, time, and recovery.

Flat bench is a good exercise, but it is totally unnecissary for anything except powerlifting. There are ways to strengthen and train the same muscle groups without the frequent shoulder injuries associated with flat benching.

Decline bench is your best bet for a chest exercise if you have problems with flat benching, or even if you don't. You can be a bigger range of motion for your pecs on declines and it cuts down on the involvement of your deltoids + allows your shoulder joint to move more freely. Plus you can cut down the range of motion easily by bringing the bar down closer to your abs, allowing you to move heavier weight.

Anyway, just pick a movement that doesn't give you pain and focus on adding weight/reps each workout. Make that the goal of your workout, if you think you need more pec work after 4-5 sets of your main pressing exercise, just do a few sets of cable flies or some other isolation exercise.
    Squat...Eat...Sleep...Grow...Repeat

Quote Originally Posted by xMeat_Headx
    Decline bench is your best bet for a chest exercise if you have problems with flat benching, or even if you don't. You can be a bigger range of motion for your pecs on declines and it cuts down on the involvement of your deltoids + allows your shoulder joint to move more freely.
    I always thought the ROM for decline was much less than flat
    PRs: 655/525/645 = 1825 Total
    Meet PRs: Bench Only 525

Deadlifts bring people together. It's a fact. - Chris Rodgers

I always thought the ROM for decline was much less than flat
    Not if you bring the bar to nipple level or higher on the chest... in fact I've never been able to get a pec stretch as much as on decline presses performed that way.
    Squat...Eat...Sleep...Grow...Repeat

Wannabebig Member
    Due to shoulder issues as well I do not do flatbench (BB). I am also unable to do incline press or incline flys and any sort of shoulder press. I have found that a combination of decline presses, DB Flys, weighted dips and cable-flys works very well for me.
    Last edited by Eboxer79; 01-26-2006 at 01:41 PM.
    Weight: 165
    Height: 5' 7"
    BF: 7.4%
    Decline Bench: 285 X 4
    Deadlift: 385 X 4