Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Grip Lockout?

Iced Earth - Stormrider ArchAngel777's Avatar

Grip Lockout?

Question for a few people here... I am not sure on the proper term, but my weightlifting coach taught me a special way grab the bar for deadlifts, squats and snatches. Basically the thumb gets tucked in and your 2-3 fingers go right over it. It results in an extremely strong grip, much stronger than anything else, for the most part.

Is that legal to do in power lifting? I know it is legal in olympic style, but I was not sure about powerlifting. Because, in the dead lifts, I can use clean style front grip with the thumb lockout and go over 400+ with no problem.

Anyone else use this grip? I don't use it unless my grip cannot handle the load on their own, so essentially I will only resort to this grip on a heavy deadlift.

Hook grip. It's painful, but strong. Legal, as far as I know. Mostly used in olympic lifting where you need to rack the weight double overhand. In PL, you can use a mixed grip, which is stronger still.

Anyway, I think most people can train their grip strength to be signficantly above their dead weights.

The journal / I live here.

If I were to start from scratch as a young 13 year old again, I would do every press, squat, and perhaps deadlifts, for my entire career with chains. -- Dan John

Quote Originally Posted by MixmasterNash
    Hook grip. It's painful, but strong. Legal, as far as I know. Mostly used in olympic lifting where you need to rack the weight double overhand. In PL, you can use a mixed grip, which is stronger still.

Anyway, I think most people can train their grip strength to be signficantly above their dead weights.
    I agree about increasing grip strength. However, I dislike mixed grip and will not use it unless absolutely needed. My only concern with the "hook grip" is that the thumb could get doslocated and litterally ripped off your hand if you ever attempted too much weight... Woudn't happen with a mixed grip.

so would the ultimate strength grip be the mixed hook grip?! lol
    Do what needs to be done.

Every time I was in the hole I swear a turd kissed my underwear. - Hatred
    I love snatch. I think I'm addicted to it. - Stray
    I like a woman I can climb - Jinkies
    Personally ... I'm a vagitarian - Brawl
    I don't box, but I'll have a dance off with any of you tools. When I get all my 230 lbs shaking and grooving you bet your a$$es you'll get served. - BilltheButcher

Some people do it - I've never seen it personally, but I've seen photos of world class DLers using a mixed grip w. the hook.
    A child does not learn to squat from the top down. In other words, he does not suddenly make a conscious decision one day to squat. Actually, he is squatting one day and make the conscious decision to stand. Squatting precedes standing in the developmental sequence. This is the way a child's brain learns to use the body as the child develops movement patterns. Therefore, a child is probably crawling, rocks back into a squatting position with the back completely relaxed and the hips completely flexed, and stands when he has enough hip strength. This approach makes a lot of sense and can be applied to relearning the deep squat movement if it is lost. -Gray Cook
    Lifting Clips: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=johnnymnemonic2
    Blog: http://squatrx.blogspot.com/

Why would need to use the hook grip on squats?

Quote Originally Posted by khari
    Why would need to use the hook grip on squats?
    YAWN... I wouldn't, it was a mistake

My thumbs were hurting reading this... I can easily imagine my thumb dislocating doing something like that... OUCH! Do gripwork or invest in straps.. Sounds painful to me man..
    Full Powerlifting
    Squat - 595lbs -- 270kg -- Dec. 31, '09 (Provincial Record @100kg class)
    Bench - 374lbs -- 170kg -- Dec 20, '08 (@100kg class)
    Dead - 589lbs -- 267.5kg -- Dec 20, '08 (Provincial Record @100kg class)
    Total: 1537lbs -- 697.5kg -- Dec 20, '08 (Provincial Record @ 100kg class)
    Bench Only -- 358lbs -- 162.5kg -- Nov. 25, '07 (Provincial Record @ 90kg class)
    Bench Only -- 376lbs -- 171kg -- Jan. 26, '08 (Provincial Record @ 100kg class)

Do that voodoo that he do
    Some of the big deadlifters (Travis Mash, for one) are going to a hook grip/double overhand because they're afraid of tearing a bicep with a heavy deadlift.

Chris Mason on this board has gone over to the hook, I believe.

I personally haven't liked it when I've tried it, but I've never really spent much time working on it, either.
    Be a man. Be awesome at it. Be proud of it. Beyond the Barbell

"Borris is correct. That sounds logical if you ask me."
    -galileo

At first the grip is painful on the thumbnail, but after a few sessions it doesn't hurt any longer. Pretty soon you will fine yourself using the hook grip on other things.... I used to use it on the steering wheel without thinking... Now I make a point to NOT do that... If the airbag went off, my thumbs would have ripped off my hand, not good!

Anyway, the hook grip is awesome

Would their be less chance of losing the bar on heavy benches using a hook grip? If so, I'd probably switch to it when shirt benching.
    5'9" 195 lbs
    DL 600x1
    SQ 490x1 (raw)
    BP 430x1 (shirted), 320x1 (raw)
    SN 209x1 C+J 250x1

My Training Journal
    www.illinipowerlifting.org

"Most people don't want to learn new things. They only want to hear about things that validate crap they're already doing." - Mike Boyle

Quote Originally Posted by deeder
    My thumbs were hurting reading this... I can easily imagine my thumb dislocating doing something like that... OUCH! Do gripwork or invest in straps.. Sounds painful to me man..
    Straps are illegal in weightlifting competition, and snatching 100+kg with regular grip is no easy feat.

Straps are illegal in weightlifting competition, and snatching 100+kg with regular grip is no easy feat.
    Right on... Even though it seems like 100+ KG isn't much, you have to remember that the speed of the lift increases it's weight 2-3 X that of what it really is... So a 100+ KG snatch is much like a 200 + KG snatch dead lift... Not easy, not easy at all. Hook Grip was required for snatch, in my opinion due to the power of the lift. But that goes for the clean + jerk as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Guido
    Would their be less chance of losing the bar on heavy benches using a hook grip? If so, I'd probably switch to it when shirt benching.
    I don't know much about power lifting, except that there are a dozen of federations/associations with their own rules and their own champions... I don't see how the hook group would help you on the Bench Press from my experience. Goodness, if the weight is falling out of your hands, you might not want to be benching that : )
    Last edited by ArchAngel777; 01-09-2006 at 11:18 AM.

Fair enough... I am no where close to entering weightlifting competitions and don't do any olympic style lifts yet...

If I ever get around to learning some of those I might have to look into it... I'll still worry about my thumbs though
    Full Powerlifting
    Bench Only -- 358lbs -- 162.5kg -- Nov. 25, '07 (Provincial Record @ 90kg class)

i used mixed grip w/ hook all the time. up to 536lbs was my highest lift. didnt really hurt at all. and no, your thumb wont "rip off" or dislocate.... at least it never did for me, and the 6 months i did it when i still deadlifted...
    Rock Quotes:
    -Girls like big strong men, all the other men has to find a niche or a thing they supposedly love, you know...like saving whales or reading books, to get laid.
    -Look..first I am scared little freezing virgin munk, but then I bare my self and I am nothing like a freezing virgin!
    -Then I saw a little african boy sleeping, and I thought...that is little Okeke, he is tired from herding all the goats and the big goat got away today.
    Quote Originally Posted by fixationdarknes
    And I'll clench my buttcheeks as hard as I can to keep free of intruders.

journal

Rock Quotes:
    -Girls like big strong men, all the other men has to find a niche or a thing they supposedly love, you know...like saving whales or reading books, to get laid.
    -Look..first I am scared little freezing virgin munk, but then I bare my self and I am nothing like a freezing virgin!
    -Then I saw a little african boy sleeping, and I thought...that is little Okeke, he is tired from herding all the goats and the big goat got away today.

journal

Nice DL, but that has to be the most godawful-butt-ugly singlet I have ever seen!
    A child does not learn to squat from the top down. In other words, he does not suddenly make a conscious decision one day to squat. Actually, he is squatting one day and make the conscious decision to stand. Squatting precedes standing in the developmental sequence. This is the way a child's brain learns to use the body as the child develops movement patterns. Therefore, a child is probably crawling, rocks back into a squatting position with the back completely relaxed and the hips completely flexed, and stands when he has enough hip strength. This approach makes a lot of sense and can be applied to relearning the deep squat movement if it is lost. -Gray Cook
    Lifting Clips: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=johnnymnemonic2
    Blog: http://squatrx.blogspot.com/

im a ghetto zebra lol.

i had no singlet so i borrowed one from my friend. yes its ugly.
    Rock Quotes:

journal

Haha damn man, looks like their should be a discoball somewhere in that picture. Awesome deadlift though man.

I did not know there was a Killer Bees powerlifting club.
    Deadlifts are like women, they'll hurt you everytime, but they'll also make you a man. - Me

Friends don't let friends do dumbell kickbacks. - Me

ElP is the smartest man in the world. - Gyno Rhino

A low voter turnout is an indication of fewer people going to the polls. -- Dan Quayle

If do right, no can defense. -- Mr. Miyagi

Deep Thoughts by Jack Handey:

I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it.

Is there anything more beautiful than a beautiful, beautiful flamingo, flying across in front of a beautiful sunset? And he's carrying a beautiful rose in his beak, and also he's carrying a very beautiful painting with his feet. And also, you're drunk.

Current FFFA Enforcer

Lol @ Pete. That's good.
    "You can take control of my mind and my body, but there is one thing a Saiyan always keeps.... his PRIDE!"- Vegeta

My Exploits

Wannabebig Member
    brad gillingham 837lb dead with hook grip (dp)...http://www.irongame.com/videos/BradG...37lbDL@SHW.mpg

strong

Wannabebig Member
    how heavy is that pull in the pic?

Quote Originally Posted by tize
    how heavy is that pull in the pic?
    400 and some...
    Full Powerlifting