Thread: Performed box squats for the first time today...

Hybrid View

Shoulda been a meso... puny_ectomorph's Avatar

Performed box squats for the first time today...

And I'm impressed. Actually, today was a bunch of firsts...I started on my first powerlifting-type cycle, and began using the power style of squatting for the first time.

The first thing I noticed about using the box was that I was in control of the movement. Previously, in my regular squats, I would simply drop into the hole and heave my way back out again, often coming up on my toes. With the wider stance, lower bar (still getting used to that), and the 'sit-back' motion, I felt in control on the way down. Granted, I was using a light weight-145 lbs-but I've never felt so tight and 'in the groove.'

I was worried at first that the moment I touched the box my spine would compress in on itself, but the 'sit-back' motion along with a good arch made it actually, well, comfortable. (Can you imagine that...squat and comfortable in the same sentence?) I sat for a moment, then flexed my way up, and felt my hamstrings and glutes engage, something I hadn't really felt with regular squats before.

Needless to say, I'm hooked. Monday I'll be trying box squats with heavy (for me) weight...let's hope that session goes just as well. My lower back is a tad sore, as are my hips, but it's not killing me like regular squats sometimes would.

-puny-
    Last edited by puny_ectomorph; 01-26-2006 at 05:06 PM.
    Stats:
    height 5'10
    weight 187

Currently dl'ing 255 for 3 reps x 8 sets
    Goals:
    350 lb deadlift by Feb. 2007

"Squats and milk and nevermind if the principle is twenty years old." -Randall J. Strossen

"They don't know much about nutritional science, but they know enough to stick to the three basic food groups: Tex-Mex, Cajun and ranch." -Paul Kelso

Congrats, sounds like you have the form down excellant!
    Be carefule of jumping really quick on weight with them though. I'd advise going up just like 30-50 lbs per session with them to get a better feel for how you will handle the weight.
    With Box Squats you really feel the difference in increasing the weight.
    Best Meet @ Lifts@181:...............Best gym lifts
    Squat...- 403..........................Squat....- 395 w/belt
    Bench...- 303..........................Bench....- 300....Paused in meet - 281
    Deadlift.- 503.....Unofficial 513...Deadlift..- 490
    Total....- 1,203...IPF Class II......All done raw, Touch'n go bench

"Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly" Robert F. Kennedy

"A man can fail many times, but he isn't a failure until he gives up"

"However beautiful the strategy you should occasionally look at the results" John Berardi

Powerlifting Westside Style

Good man. Box squatting rules. Very smart decision to do them.
    "You can take control of my mind and my body, but there is one thing a Saiyan always keeps.... his PRIDE!"- Vegeta

My Exploits

Box squats rule man keep at em.

Wannabebig Member
    also dont neglect your free squats, id rotate box and free squat

Quote Originally Posted by tize
    also dont neglect your free squats, id rotate box and free squat
    I agree w. this. Make sure that you are still doing plenty of free squatting.

I'm a huge WS fan, but boxes and bands affected my squat form negatively when I was doing them regularly. I still do box squats occasionally, but I've pretty much given up bands entirely for squatting - the bands track you into a groove (kind of like a smith machine) and when the bands came off, so did the groove. I'll probably add them again someday, but it will only be for a change of pace.
    A child does not learn to squat from the top down. In other words, he does not suddenly make a conscious decision one day to squat. Actually, he is squatting one day and make the conscious decision to stand. Squatting precedes standing in the developmental sequence. This is the way a child's brain learns to use the body as the child develops movement patterns. Therefore, a child is probably crawling, rocks back into a squatting position with the back completely relaxed and the hips completely flexed, and stands when he has enough hip strength. This approach makes a lot of sense and can be applied to relearning the deep squat movement if it is lost. -Gray Cook
    Lifting Clips: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=johnnymnemonic2
    Blog: http://squatrx.blogspot.com/