The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Wannabebig Member

Are raw eggs really a problem?

Or is it much ado about nothing?

I'm a poor student. Almost bankrupt, actually. I cant afford whey protein at the moment, and I've calculated based on all my available food sources that eggs are the cheapest per gram of protein that I can get.

Omelettes are nice. Boiled eggs are nice. There are lots of different ways to do eggs that are nice. The problem is, I'm used to protein shakes, and I like the convenience of them, particularly when I'm tired after a workout and dont want to fire up the stove.

What I've been doing lately is simply using milk and raw eggs blended to make a milkshake - I've started experimenting with adding cocoa powder and a little sugar for taste - and it seems good.

Of course, raw eggs have a bad reputation, and what I want to know is, is it deserved? Is it really anything to worry about? I've heard figures such as 1 in 30,000 eggs containing salmonella. Is this accurate? Are there any other problems that can be caused by raw eggs?

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Back in the game
    why not just use skimmed milk powder with your milk.
    instead of eggs.
    Lordy,Lordy.
    Wont mind hanging out the back of that- Paddy.

There is a miracle supplement its called 110%
    Hardwork that is..........- Peter Parker

Your workouts are only limited cos of your imagination- Peter Parker

No movie makes me Question my own sexuality quite like this one - Gyno Rhino

The salmonella is not the probelm, it's the bioavailability of the protein, which is enhanced by cooking as it denatures the avidin in the egg white. There have been countless posts on this topic, I suggest you do a search.

most people don't get salmonella when it's in the eggs anyway due to immune system defense and the lw number of actual salmonella bacteria in the egg. But if you were really worried i'd suggest going out and buying some egg beaters or egg whites. These have the same nutritional rating as plain eggwhites so you won't have to worry about taking in fat, they're pretty much just pure protein. As far as needing to cook it to get the protein out of it... it'd be interesting to so how many grams out of a hundred of protein are not digested. My guess would be few enough not to worry about.

it's not a problem as long as you don't mind dying.

Whey protein is much cheaper per gm of protein than eggs.
    My Journal
    http://wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=119765

I think this is possibly the all-time best response on WBB. - Jorge Sanchez

"you're an animal eat like one damn it!" - Wikked1

"Now we're finally getting to the chicken or the egg question," I grinned. "Did I eat all that food because my size gives me more of an appetite, or did I get to be this big because I've been forcing myself to eat like this for years?"

From A Body Builder is Born

i knew you were a beast but not that kinda of a beast that eats grown men and children.. lilmase

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cphafner
    it's not a problem as long as you don't mind dying.

Whey protein is much cheaper per gm of protein than eggs.
    Not where I am - I'm in New Zealand, and it seems we dont get it as good as you guys for some sources of protein. I can get a tray of 30 eggs for NZ$6, making for 20 cents per egg, and at a conservative 6 grams of protein per egg that makes for 3.3 cents per gram.

At all of the health food stores, pharmacies, and supermarkets, I can generally not get any better than ~$50/kg of Whey. Averageing perhaps 80% actual protein, I get a gram for a bit over 6 cents.

I can get milk that comes close to eggs, but eggs are still the cheapest. I checked out skim milk powder a while ago at the supermarket, and there at least it was too expensive - and I'm not sure where else to get it.

The second thing is, is death really a realistic prospect if you get salmonella? I can understand for children or the elderly, but I'm in my prime - is death really likely on the odds that I actally get salmonella?

Get your Whey online.
    My Journal
    http://wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=119765

I think this is possibly the all-time best response on WBB. - Jorge Sanchez

"you're an animal eat like one damn it!" - Wikked1

"Now we're finally getting to the chicken or the egg question," I grinned. "Did I eat all that food because my size gives me more of an appetite, or did I get to be this big because I've been forcing myself to eat like this for years?"

From A Body Builder is Born

i knew you were a beast but not that kinda of a beast that eats grown men and children.. lilmase

from everything i've ever been told about salmonella it's not a big risk. Anytime you've ever had chocolate moose or a maringue you've eaten raw eggs. I'm sure everyone here has dipped into the cake/cookie/brownie batter before.

If you're really concerned about it look it up online and see how many cases of salmonella have been reported in your area recently.

and no, death really isn't a realistic prospect if you're a fit individual.
    Last edited by eatit; 01-28-2006 at 01:45 PM.

much of the protein is not availible if you do not cook the white, about half of the eggwhite protein.
    http://www.nutrition.org/cgi/content/full/128/10/1716

additionally, if you are using eggs as your primary source of protein, you're probably going to be having enough to have to worry about the avidin causing biotin defiiciency, which can happen at around 15=20 eggs a day.

i've never done it, but perhaps you could cook up a bunch of eggs, probably soft boiled, and the keep them refrigerated, and throw a coupel of those togeter into your blender for a shake. might be an unpleasant texture, but will still be easy.

Wannabebig Member
    I'm in Australia and I order from www.mrsupplement.com.au and get 4kg whey concetrate for $100,

Im sure they deliver to NZ aswell for a bit more.

Quote Originally Posted by basix
    I'm in Australia and I order from www.mrsupplement.com.au and get 4kg whey concetrate for $100,

Im sure they deliver to NZ aswell for a bit more.
    that seems like alot...

check out this, cheap, quality, good tasting whey protien http://www.1fast400.com/?products_id=62
    6'6" 235
    Follow me on Twitter!
    My Artist page
    Creatine is Overrated Social Group
    supplements are used to supplement!!
    "why do i train so hard? so i can play harder!"
    -kobe bryant

Quote Originally Posted by TheGimp
    The salmonella is not the probelm, it's the bioavailability of the protein, which is enhanced by cooking as it denatures the avidin in the egg white. There have been countless posts on this topic, I suggest you do a search.
    The answer to the question is right here, as TheGimp pointed out. All salmonella disputes aside, without bioavailbility, you have nothing.
    Last edited by Slim Schaedle; 01-29-2006 at 01:16 PM.