Thread: A few questions about the "gaining mass sticky"

Wannabebig New Member

A few questions about the "gaining mass sticky"

I am getting ready to bulk. Im a small guy at 5'7 142. I want to gain about 15 or 20 pounds within the next few months. Im going to follow the sticky "Gaining Mass" and consume 25 X bodyweight. I just have a few questions

1. The sticky says to eat 4 meals a day and 2 shakes while I read on this site its preferable to eat 6 meals a day. Are the 2 shakes in the sticky meant as a meal replacement?

2. Also, which protein supplement is recommended for my purposes. I went to the vitamin Shoppe and they literally had dozens of brands.

3. In general, sugar and saturated fats should be avoided. Is there any other ingredient that should be avoided?

4. Also, this may seem dumb, but what type of bread should I be looking to purchase to make sandwiches.

Ive also downloaded the sticky with all the foods listed so I think Im ready to go. Sorry for such newb questions. I just want to get this right and get it right the first time. Thank you for anyone who helps.

watch how much sodium you take in.
    wheat bread.

You'll do fine if you keep motivated.

i started out at 5 foot 7 too but at 130. I jumped 20 lbs very quickly by bulking and even stayed nearly the same body fat.

Don't worry bro, all your questions are legitimate and for your first post well its very impressive compared with some of the ones we get

I'll reply in CAPS

Quote Originally Posted by TitanicWaste
    I am getting ready to bulk. Im a small guy at 5'7 142. I want to gain about 15 or 20 pounds within the next few months. Im going to follow the sticky "Gaining Mass" and consume 25 X bodyweight. I just have a few questions

1. The sticky says to eat 4 meals a day and 2 shakes while I read on this site its preferable to eat 6 meals a day. Are the 2 shakes in the sticky meant as a meal replacement?

iF YOU HAVE THE TIME AND CAN EAT THE 6 WHOLE FOOD MEALS THEN BY ALL MEANS DO SO. SOME PEOPLE FIND IT EASIER TO EAT 4 MEALS THEN 2 SHAKES TO ADD EXTRA PROTEIN AND CALS WITHOUT AFFECTING APPETITE.

2. Also, which protein supplement is recommended for my purposes. I went to the vitamin Shoppe and they literally had dozens of brands.

ME PERSONALLY I GO FOR THE BEST VALUE WITH MY GOAL IN MIND, IF YOU HAVE A FAST METABOLISM THEN GO FOR SOMETHING WITH PRO,FATS AND CARBS. IF A SLOWER METABOLISM GO STRAIGHT PROTEIN IN A FLAVOUR YOU'LL LIKE.

3. In general, sugar and saturated fats should be avoided. Is there any other ingredient that should be avoided?

DEPENDS ON HOW YOU LOOK AT IT, SATURATED FATS CAN CONTRIBUTE TO INCREASED TESTOSTERONE PRODUCTION, TOO MUCH YEAH YOU WILL RUN INTO PROBLEMS LONG TERM, BUT I THINK INCLUDING IT IN THE FORM OF RED MEAT, CHEESE ETC... ARE ALL FINE OPTIONS. SUGARS ARE FINE POST WORKOUT, WHEN YOUR BODY NEEDS THEM TO HELP RECOVERY (IMPROVE)

4. Also, this may seem dumb, but what type of bread should I be looking to purchase to make sandwiches.

ID GO FOR WHOLEWHEAT, JUST AN ALL ROUND BETTER OPTION ESPECIALLY FROM A DIGESTION POINT OF VIEW

Ive also downloaded the sticky with all the foods listed so I think Im ready to go. Sorry for such newb questions. I just want to get this right and get it right the first time. Thank you for anyone who helps.
    Just to add to the 2nd poster, sodium isnt a bad thing its essential in transporting nutrients, i usually shoot for 3-6 grams per day.

Good luck
    The only limits are the one's you place on yourself...

I say sodium because when eating more, you get a lot more.

One cup of noodles is 2 grams of salt for example.

Wannabebig New Member
    Thanks for the advice. Im going to go in the supplement section to ask which protein will give me the fat, carbs, and protein. Thanks

well, if you want a meal replacement, something with all macros is important. most of the time, people are using protein only supplements as a way to ensure they get enough protein, and then get most of their calories from other foods, like some bread or fruit or something when on the run. its just a way getting the necessary proteni without frying an egg or grilling a chicken boob.

there isn't any difference in 4 or 6 meals, just as long as your food is reasonably spread out throughout the day, you're fin.e

more than trying to aoivd any specific nutrient, just try to get a balanced, varied, diet of whole grains, nuts, legumes, fruit, vegetables, lean meat, etc.