The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Thread: Hitting a wall

Wannabebig Member

Hitting a wall

Hello everyone, I've been having some problems lifting. I'm about 5'11 and 145lbs (19yrs). I want to seriously gain weight. I've been lifting for a little over a month. I'm takin whey protein, multi-vitamin supplements, and over-eating everyday. I started to make some increase in how much i could lift but now i hit a wall...It seems that i stopped going up. It doesn't seem like im putting on the weight or look like im getting any bigger, i think im just get stronger with no physical effects(if thats possible). What can i do to increase my lean muscle mass fast?(i'm a twig so i just need to gain muscle mass). Also, when do you take protein? I've been takign one before my workouts and one after, Is that right? thanks for any responses!

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

whats your diet, training, sleep like? we need more information
    Face it: biceps are the muscle that classifies you as a muscle man.

Striding across the fields, carrying a vorpal blade, cometh Clawhammer! And he gives a bloodthirsty bellow:

"As sure as predators devour prey, I shall paint the town a sanguine shade of doom!!!"
    Hilarity

Lifting for a month? Be patient.

Post some specifics and we can take a look to see if there is anything you should change.
    Squats work better than supplements.
    "You know, if I thought like that, I'd never put more than one plate on the bar for anything, I'd never use bands or chains, I'd never squat to parallel or below, and I'd never let out the slightest grunt when I lift. At some point in your lifting career (assuming you're planning on getting reasonably strong and big), you're going to have to accept that most people think you are some kind of freak." -Sensei
    "You're wrong, and I have a completely irrelevant pubmed abstract that may or may not say so." - Belial
    I has a blog.
    I has a facebook.

Ingredients to gaining LBM:

DIET/NUTRITION:

- Only weigh yourself on one day of the week, in the AM, no clothes, no food, no H2O. Obsessive weighing will make you go crazy. No noticable changes take place that quickly.

- Find the amount of calories it takes you to gain 1-2 lbs per week. No two people are alike. You need to find what it takes for YOU. Eating is key to gaining weight, period, end of story. It is difficult as hell for some people to eat enough, but absolutely critical to gain weight.

- If you do not gain any weight in a week, eat another 500 cals/day the next week. Metabolisms constantly change, the amount of calories you used to eat that made you gain weight will not always be the same.

- Count your macros! 1-2 grams Protien per pound of lean body mass. Absolutely no less. 0.75-1.5 grams Fat per pound of lean body mass. No less. Fill the rest of your calories with carbs. Remember, Carbs and Protiens have 4 calories/g and Fat has 9 calories/g. Use Fitday.com to track this diet.

- Drink Milk, no lower than 2%, but Whole works like a charm (you need the calories, and this isn't going to be your lifestyle forever).

- Drink a Whey shake IN ADDITION to your breakfast and another before bed. There is no wrong time for a shake. They are chalk full of calories, just watch your Protien intake.

- Add other foods to your shakes, such as dry oats, ice cream, milk, PB, fruit, etc.

- When a certain food you've been eating every day for the last 3 months makes you want to vomit, find a replacement food. You do not need to eat the same thing all the time. There are thousands of foods out there, experiment.

- Consume at least 96-128 oz clean, clear water each day. Spread this out through the day; don't try and play catchup if you've dehydrated yourself. Your body needs the extra water due to the amount of Protien you are putting through your kidneys.

- Eat no less than 5 meals/day (I.E. Breakfast, Lunch I, Lunch II, Dinner, Before Bed Snack/Shake). More is better.

- Be CONSISTENT! If you screw up one day each week, no big deal. Get back on the horse the next day.

- Forget about weight gain suppliments, they are not necessary to put on mass

- Buy a vitamin B-complex (has vitamin C in it). Helps recovery and you stay healthy.

STRENGTH TRAINING:
    - Become educated about the parts of your body you are working and why you are doing a certain movement. Learn what muscles are worked with each movement. Use this web site and exrx.net or buy a book to help with this.

- Find the movements that work best for your body. These are the ones that you enjoy doing, and do not create discomfort in your connective tissues and bones. Not everybody can do the same movements (i.e. If Upright rows always make your wrists kill, then don't do them!)

- Compound movements will stimulate muscles and the CNS (Central Nervous System) much, much more than non-compound movements. Think about it: the guy that spends 30 minutes curling doesn't have **** on the guy that spent 30 minutes doing Bent Rows, Chinups and Seated Rows.

- Keep the volume low. Don't try and do every movement you can think of.

- Try your best to limit your workouts to 1 hour. If you didn't get a chance to complete everything you had in mind, oh well. Maybe you had a great time working Deadlifts and only had time for 1-2 other movements that day. Keep your workouts simple enough that you can hit all the desired muscle groups for that day inside 1 hour.

- Perform as many sets as it takes you to feel mentally complete with a movement. If you feel good after 2 sets, then so be it. If it takes 7 sets, then do 7 sets.

- Find the rep ranges that make you feel good. Some people like working in progression, others like X number of sets with the same reps. Some like only hitting 3-5 reps/set and others like 10-20 reps/set. What is important, is that you are moving a weight that stimulates your muscles. This is honestly all preference.

- If you can, Deadlift and Squat. These two exercises are the foundation of a monster. They make everything else seem easy and they make everything in your body respond and change. You have to pay the toll, and these are the price, my friend.

- If you are working your arms more than your legs, something is WRONG with your routine. Legs should be your primary focus. They are your babies and should never be neglected. Leg work causes the most stimulus to the body. Case and point: I've never felt like throwing up because I did a set of heavy barbell curls; squats however, are another story.

- Do not neglect your core (abs and lower back). The core of your body is key to strong movements, period.

- Forget about that ******* next to you at the gym that is making you feel weak and pathetic. It's not about them. Focus on your form, feel the muscles work and use a weight that you can perform the entire ROM (range of motion) correctly.

- Once you are comfortable with your form, work on strength. If you never move weight that is relatively heavy to you, your muscles will not respond. Push yourself here. Most people don't realize that they can move more weight than they think. Challenge yourself and try adding a couple of pounds each time you workout.

- Do not burn yourself out by working out 6 days/week. In the beginning, if you are extremely motivated, give yourself a day off every couple of days or every other day.

- Set small strength goals, and set ultimate goals. When you achieve these, set new ones.

Hope this helps you out some!
    Last edited by Kiaran; 01-28-2006 at 11:31 AM.
    32 yo - 5'6" - 170 lbs
    USAPL Meet PRs (Raw @154 lbs): 347 SQ, 242 BP, 507 DL, 1096 TOTAL
    Gym PRs: 370 SQ, 270 BP, 510 DL

The Riddle Of Iron - Kiaran's Garage Training Log

Wannabebig Member
    Ok, i sleep 6-8 1/2 hours a day. My Schedule routine is :

Monday: Chest
    Tuesday:Biceps/Triceps
    Wed: Off
    Thursday: Back/Shoulders
    Friday:Biceps/Triceps

I do a minimum of 4 exercises for each muscle group. i do three sets of everything. Usually increasing in weight everytime. On the 3rd set i put on enough to know im going to fail. I drink the protein before and 15 mintues after i workout. I heard that muscle was mostly made up of water or somethin and that i should drink as much as i can. Any ideas on my schedule or if im doing somethin wrong. Remeber i'm skinny and don't need to tone my musces...jsut gain as much as i can. Personally i think im just making myself stronger but not putting on any weight.

Try 3x8 on those sets with weight increasing each time, don't go to failure as you can't do this for long and make gains. It's a great short term plan, but not more than a month. Eat ALOT of good food.
    "You can take control of my mind and my body, but there is one thing a Saiyan always keeps.... his PRIDE!"- Vegeta

My Exploits

Wannabebig Member
    so on the 3rd set try to atleast make it to 8?Its hard eating a lot of good food becuase im in college So i take multivitamins and whey protein. I try to take in as much calories as i can.

Okay.... you need to:
    -Put on weight. Multivitamins and whey protein won't help you gain weight. Eat, eat, eat.
    -Get some leg workouts! There is NOTHING in that routine that includes legs.
    -You don't need to hit your bi's or tri's twice a week... maybe not at all if you're doing enough compound exercises.
    -Don't pay too much attention to when you drink your shakes.. just drink them.
    -You've only been lifting for a month, be patient. You haven't lifted long enough to even start to worry.

my 2 cents.

And could you be a little more specific as to what your workout includes?
    It's really best to get an actual routine down, not just random exercises each workout.

Overall conclusion:
    EAT, eat, eat.
    Last edited by Chris686; 01-28-2006 at 06:51 PM.

2 days of arms + no legs = no results. Get a new routine. Read the stickies in here and the nutrition forum.
    My Journal
    http://wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=119765

I think this is possibly the all-time best response on WBB. - Jorge Sanchez

"you're an animal eat like one damn it!" - Wikked1

"Now we're finally getting to the chicken or the egg question," I grinned. "Did I eat all that food because my size gives me more of an appetite, or did I get to be this big because I've been forcing myself to eat like this for years?"

From A Body Builder is Born

i knew you were a beast but not that kinda of a beast that eats grown men and children.. lilmase

a curl jockey

get some squats in there
    and its only been a month
    I don't have time. I make time.

Quote Originally Posted by Atilla
    so on the 3rd set try to atleast make it to 8?Its hard eating a lot of good food becuase im in college So i take multivitamins and whey protein. I try to take in as much calories as i can.
    Do a set of 8 that you can barely get, but most likely won't fail on. If you fail on 6 or 7 once in a while, no biggie.
    "You can take control of my mind and my body, but there is one thing a Saiyan always keeps.... his PRIDE!"- Vegeta

My Exploits

Bodybuilding Mythbuster

This workout is a major Problem (with a capital P). Here's why: (a) You have no legs in there. If you only work chest, back and arms, you will not grow a lot or as much as you could. The body grows as a whole not just in certain areas. Some people have lucky genetics, but for most people they have to work the entire body in order to gain any real size. Working your legs stimulates more of the hormones which are responsible for growth.

(b) You are overworking your biceps and triceps. Three times a week (when you work chest you work triceps, and when you work back you work biceps) is far too much for these small muscles. Cut back to once a week. More is not better, it will only lead to overtraining.

(c) This is a much better four day split, (if you MUST train four days).

Monday Chest/biceps.

Tuesday Thighs (quads and hams).

Wednesday Rest.

Thursday Back/triceps.

Friday Rest.

Saturday abs/calves/forearms.

Sunday Rest.

This trains your upper arms ( directly and indirectly) twice a week which is enough for most people and should be enough for you.

Exercises: Monday: Bench press, dips, E-Z barbell curl, preacher curl.
    Tuesday: Squats, leg press, dumbell lunges.
    Thursday: Deadlift, T-bar rows, close grip bench press, pullovers.
    Saturday: Crunches, leg raises, standing calf raises, wrist curls/ grip work.

Do 2-3 sets of each (AFTER warming up) and go all out on each set.
    Try for 6-10 reps on each set. Under no circumstances do more than four sets per exercise or more sets for your biceps and triceps then you do for legs, chest and back. If you get less than six reps decrease the weight. If more than ten reps, increase the weight (rough rule of thumb).

This is a simple outline of a working routine. Not perfect but much better than what you had orginally. Eat enough and rest enough and you WILL grow. Remember muscle grows out of the gym not in the gym. You tear your muscles down in the gym and rebuild them with rest and food. So rest and food are when the muscle grows, not in the gym.
    Last edited by Songsangnim; 01-28-2006 at 08:08 PM.

Wannabebig Member
    What are some really effective ab workouts, and if done right how long do u think they will take to develop ?

What are some really effective ab workouts, and if done right how long do u think they will take to develop ?
    Best ab workout: Deadlifts and squats.

Aesthetic results? Diet dependent.

The journal / I live here.

If I were to start from scratch as a young 13 year old again, I would do every press, squat, and perhaps deadlifts, for my entire career with chains. -- Dan John

Nash, not to say what you posted isn't correct, because it is, but isn't direct ab and lower back work used to strengthen abs and spinal errectors so you don't get an injury? So DLing and Squatting aren't enough to get them strong enough?

My Exploits

I think some direct ab work can be useful, but it's completely secondary to transferring large loads through your core.

My abs are becoming relatively weak compared to my spinal erectors, but I haven't been doing any ab work for months (until yesterday!), and they're still pretty strong.

The journal / I live here.

If I were to start from scratch as a young 13 year old again, I would do every press, squat, and perhaps deadlifts, for my entire career with chains. -- Dan John

Kiaran posted exactly what you need to know and you seem to have largely ignored him. Everything you need to know can be found there, so read it and go out and make it happen.

And I'm sure you're rolling your eyes when people say you need to work out your legs, thinking that they're all full of it, but it's the honest truth. You don't have to listen, of course, but if you don't, don't come on here a year from now and complain about how you're still a twig, despite going to the gym that entire time and doing biceps curls until your arms fell off.
    Last edited by Tofer; 01-29-2006 at 08:23 PM.

Seriously - no long-term member here is going to take you seriously if you devote two of your four workout days to biceps and triceps. Period. You can do curls and tricep extensions if you want, but you'd better damn well be doing the more important exercises those days, too.

If you want to be 'bigger', you have to eat more food and lift heavy things. Kiaran wrote a damn good post explaining it in detail - you really don't need any of our other contributions.

Don't ask for a lighter load. Ask for a stronger back.

It will take along time, if it were short and easy everyone would be big and strong.

Direct Bicep/tricep work 2x a week is a bad idea... 1x a week is too much in some cases. Not enough focus on the big 3... and funny enough the big 3 lifts focus on most of the bodys more important larger groups.

Eat enough, above maintance cals but not so much you are gaining fat weight. Do no cardio.... train for hypertrophy as well. Hypertrophy generally happens in the 6-10 rep range. Get enough sleep and drink plenty of H20... prepare for the long haul get in the gym and grow damn it.

Wannabe Absolutely Huge trasmi21's Avatar

I do a minimum of 4 exercises for each muscle group. i do three sets of everything. Usually increasing in weight everytime. On the 3rd set i put on enough to know im going to fail. I drink the protein before and 15 mintues after i workout. I heard that muscle was mostly made up of water or somethin and that i should drink as much as i can. Any ideas on my schedule or if im doing somethin wrong. Remeber i'm skinny and don't need to tone my musces...jsut gain as much as i can. Personally i think im just making myself stronger but not putting on any weight.

Man, as soon as I saw this routine, I went "Uh-oh".

I actually said it out loud.
    Height: 6'4
    Beginning Weight as of August '05: 210
    Weight as of December '05: 235
    Weight as of January '06: 240
    ***Now Cutting***
    Weight as of March 20th: 220
    BF%: Not sure, but it's better.

My Journal

Overcome