The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Wannabebig Member

When doing an exercise, does it matter what kind of weight you use?

I was looking at http://www.exrx.net/Lists/Directory.html and saw that they displayed most of the exercises using barbells, dumbbells, cables, etc.

Does it matter which way I choose? I guess the standard is barbell but I personally prefer using dumbbells for anything I can. Will that matter?

Thanks.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Australia - Where the women really go down under!
    Dumbbells will isolate your muscles more and in turn have their better points, but their is nothing wrong with barbells. Its up to you, but in my opinion shake it up a bit, change occasionally.

Hope that helps...
    "People often say that motivation doesn't last. Well, neither does bathing - that's why we recommend it daily."

Barbells let you push more weight around, dumbbells isolate. Use both, but I agree with you in general - personally, I rarely use a barbell where a dumbbell will work. Some stuff, however (squats, deads ... ) you really need a barbell.

Dannyreeves, in general it most definitely DOES matter. There are many differences between the different types of weight that you use.

Some examples:
    Machines usually have a limited range of motion compared to freeweights.
    Machines are usually able to apply a constant force whereas in freeweights sometimes that isn't possible (ie the top of the motion using DBs for flys vs using cable flys). However, some machines use a pulley that is not a circle but an oval or ellipse, meaning there isn't constant force.
    DBs tend to work stabilizer muscles since more balance is required than BBs or cables or machines
    Sometimes using freeweights for a certain motion can be physically awkward or require more equipment.
    Of course there's also always the question of whether you will need a spotter. For machines and cables you usually don't, for DBs it depends on the exercise (among other factors), and it's usually a good idea to have a spotter for many BB exercises (ie shoulder/military press and chest press).
    ...........||High School||.....||July '05||.......||January '09||
    Bench.........225x1...............275x1.................?
    Squat...........?.......................?....................365x5
    Deadlift........?.....................315x5...............435x5
    Weight........180...................192...................185
    BF%.............?......................12.....................12
    Time to Get Ripped
    Pictures of Me

:withstupi

Well put.
    Full Powerlifting
    Squat - 595lbs -- 270kg -- Dec. 31, '09 (Provincial Record @100kg class)
    Bench - 374lbs -- 170kg -- Dec 20, '08 (@100kg class)
    Dead - 589lbs -- 267.5kg -- Dec 20, '08 (Provincial Record @100kg class)
    Total: 1537lbs -- 697.5kg -- Dec 20, '08 (Provincial Record @ 100kg class)
    Bench Only -- 358lbs -- 162.5kg -- Nov. 25, '07 (Provincial Record @ 90kg class)
    Bench Only -- 376lbs -- 171kg -- Jan. 26, '08 (Provincial Record @ 100kg class)