Thread: Recommendation on Home Equipment?

Wannabebig Member

Recommendation on Home Equipment?

Basically, i'm scrawny and i'm tired of it.

I'm 20yo, 6'3" - 140lb.

I have basically no bodyfat. I'm looking for a home setup which isn't too large, that i can use instead of going to a gym.

I'm looking into getting into law enforcement, and need to get bigger and stronger.

I have limited space, but what should i go about buying equipment wise? Thanks in advance

I'm not sure how much space you have available, but for a nice setup that will last I would buy:

-A power rack
    -An adjustable bench
    -An olympic weight set (300lbs with barbell)
    -Olympic dumbell handles
    -Extra weight if necessary

If you can fit this in your home, it will last you a very long time and serve as a nice replacement for a gym membership.
    Weight:180lbs
    Height:5'9"
    Max Lifts:
    Bench Press-315x1
    Deadlift~415x1 (injured)
    Squat-505x1

A 300lb olympic set and some lawn are a much cheaper alternative to what cosmic posted. His solution is ideal, but expensive.

The journal / I live here.

If I were to start from scratch as a young 13 year old again, I would do every press, squat, and perhaps deadlifts, for my entire career with chains. -- Dan John

Wannabebig Member
    well i was looking at buying something like a bowflex etc., but after some reading, realized free weights seem to be the way to go.

I could fit a bench, but i think fitting a Power Rack is going to be a problem.

Wannabebig Member
    Also, what am i looking for in a bench? Besides being sturdy, what kind of features?

Anyone possibly have any suggestions? Something that folds up would be ideal, but not 100% necessary

Quote Originally Posted by -TAL-
    well i was looking at buying something like a bowflex etc., but after some reading, realized free weights seem to be the way to go.

I could fit a bench, but i think fitting a Power Rack is going to be a problem.
    Ya, definitely go with the weights over a bowflex. Space can be a factor, so I can see why the power rack could be a problem.

Also, what am i looking for in a bench? Besides being sturdy, what kind of features?

Anyone possibly have any suggestions? Something that folds up would be ideal, but not 100% necessary
    As you mentioned, sturdy is the #1 most important factor. Again, only if it can fit, but I used to have something built like this:
    http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...30660805102498

The advantage being that you can squat with it. I don't really know of anything that folds up...
    Weight:180lbs
    Height:5'9"
    Max Lifts:
    Bench Press-315x1
    Deadlift~415x1 (injured)
    Squat-505x1

This may kind of be stealing the thread but I think you might find the answer to this useful too. I generally lift at a gym but would not mind getting a few things for home for convience. Especially since i already have an olympic set, bench, curl bar and dumbells.

What I would like is a incline/flat/decline bench but from everything ive seen before the ones that do all this generally are not capable of adjusting the angle on the seat, does anyone know of something that can do this?
    ďIím not like everyone. I donít live like they live. I donít eat what they eat. No donuts. No coffee with cream & two sugars. No morning papers. Itís 6:52am & Iím on my second meal. While everyone else is hitting the snooze, Iím hitting my stride.Ē Frank Mcgrath