Thread: Weight / Fat loss diet - opinions wanted

Weight / Fat loss diet - opinions wanted

Hey all !!

I'm new to the boards and have been looking around, reading, and getting a LOT of good information. I'm trying to come up with a good diet that will help me sread off unwanted fat and weight, while aslo maintaining the muscle that I DO have and gaining some more. I know, its the classic struggle or losing one while wanting another; honestly, I'd be happy with just dropping the fat / weight and then taking on the next task of building.

A little about me (If you want to just skip down to my diet plan, feel free). I'm no stranger to the gym, I just lost track of my goals and have been out for a few years and I'm looking to get back to where I was. Right now, I'm 35 y/o, 6'1, 265, and I'm guessing probably 25% body fat; I'm a "big guy", I always have been. My job offers little to no physical activity, so all the exercise I'll be getting is when I goto the gym or happen to be outside on the weekends. My resting Hear Rate is usually around 60.

My Plan:

Meal 1 (Shake)
    Protein Powder - 120 Cal, 2 Fat, 35 Protein
    1 1/2 cup non fat milk - 129 Cal, 12 Carb, 8 Protein
    Bananna (large) - 121 Cal, 31 Carb, 1 Protein
    Omega 3 (2 cap) 17.5 Cal, 17.5 Fat
    (Total:387 Cal, 19.5 Fat, 43 Carb, 44 Protein)

Meal 2
    3/4 Cup Brown Rice - 163 Cal, 1.35 Fat, 33.75 Carb, 3.75 Protein
    1 can tuna - 150 Cal, 1.25 Fat, 32.5 Protein
    1 cup Broccoli / Cauliflower - 25 Cal, 4 Carb, 2 Protein
    (Total: 338 Cal, 2.6 Fat, 37.75 Carb, 38.25 Protein)

Meal 3
    (Total: 338 Cal, 2.6 Fat, 37.75 Carb, 38.25 Protein)

Meal 4
    3/4 cup Brown Rice - 163 Cal, 1.35 Fat, 33.75 Carb, 3.75 Protein
    4oz Chicken Breast - 120 Cal, 3 Fat, 21 Protein
    1./8 cup Walnuts - 95 Cal, 9.5 Fat, 2 Carb, 2.25 Protein
    Total: 378 Cal, 13.85 Fat, 35.75 Carb, 27 Protein

Meal 5 (Shake)
    (Total:387 Cal, 19.5 Fat, 43 Carb, 44 Protein)

I plan on adding an extra can of tuna before or after my workout for the extra protein, so add:

Snack
    150 Cal, 1.25 Fat, 32.5 Protein

GRAND TOTALS:
    Cal - 1978
    Fat - 59.75
    Carb - 197.25
    Protein - 224

I know its a lot of tuna, but I love it. The past 3 months its been a main staple; I've pretty much stopped eating for the enjoyment of taste as I am focused on my goal of getting in shape.

Feel free to suggest different foods, change of plan, etc; its why I am posting.

For a quick reference, I get to the gym 4 times a week.
    Back / Bi / abs
    Chest / tri / abs
    Shoulders / traps / abs
    Legs / abs
    I try to get 3 sessions of cardio a week keeping my heart rate at 130ish and I go for 30 mins ( I plan on raising it to 4-5 times a week). I'll be posting in the other forums to try a new workout and give more detail on what I actually do in the gym for each day.

Thanks, in advance, for all / any advice !!!
    Last edited by OneBadUnit; 01-29-2006 at 09:38 PM.

Running isn't directly correlated to fat/weight loss. It can burn muscle as well as fat... just leave it go. That is unless of course you want to get better at running, but if thats the case I would say put it on the back burner for awhile.

Diet seems okay, too many carbs IMHO I would take away from the carbs and get in a tad more protein and some more fat.

Workout needs well work...

You dont need direct bicep/tricep work. I would suggest a 3 day a week push/pull/leg spilt and see how you like that. Lift heavy and hard, go for intensty over reps. Doing so will force your body to lose fat instead of muscle. Get plenty of rest and water. Just again to reinforce it, you DONT need cardio to lose and its not worth it to try and get stronger/bigger while losing weight.

Wannabebig New Member

fat loss

Hi,

The more exercises you do the more fat you burn in the body. But these exercises are not enough. The presence of toxins in the body contributes a lot to unwanted weight gain. The most disturbing thing about toxin build up is that it cannot be seen physically. If that was the case, then we would all have the right bodies.

There are detox diets and cleansing diets which do a thorough job of cleaning the colon. Finding the right diet can be daunting. This is because there are very many companies marketing them and it can get overwhelming. However, with a little research on the internet, you can find the best fat loss products around

Quote Originally Posted by McEnroe View Post
    Hi,

The more exercises you do the more fat you burn in the body. But these exercises are not enough. The presence of toxins in the body contributes a lot to unwanted weight gain. The most disturbing thing about toxin build up is that it cannot be seen physically. If that was the case, then we would all have the right bodies.

There are detox diets and cleansing diets which do a thorough job of cleaning the colon. Finding the right diet can be daunting. This is because there are very many companies marketing them and it can get overwhelming. However, with a little research on the internet, you can find the best fat loss products around
    Christ, no. Not a single part of this is correct. Your body has a detoxing function built in. It's called your liver. Your colon is emptied during that post-lunch "reading session" you take at the office.

Fail.
    Last edited by VikingWarlord; 04-25-2009 at 07:45 AM.
    If one person can do something, anyone can learn to do it.
    Do what you've always done and get what you've always gotten.
    There is no failure, only feedback.

"Journey of 1000 miles starts with a single step".--Lao Tzu

Pro-Choice...ON EVERYTHING.

Quote Originally Posted by McEnroe View Post
    Hi,

Fail post on a 3 year old thread
    Currently: Sore

Wannabebig New Member

fat loss

Fat loss is all about persistence and hardwork. If do so surely it will have good outcome. Good luck to you!

Wannabebig New Member

Lose Fat/Weight

Do you simply need help learning how to eat better? But if you eat poorly as a result of emotional, mental, or spiritual problems, they may have to be addressed before you can make any real progress with weight loss. Even people who don't feel they have an eating disorder often turn to food for comfort. To learn to eat well and exercise regularly, you may also have to learn to handle the problems life throws at you without turning away from healthy eating and exercise.