The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Viruses To Blame For Obesity?

(WebMD) Viruses may contribute to obesity, new research shows

Scientists injected three different human viruses -- called adenoviruses -- into chickens. The chickens injected with one of the viruses, Ad-37, developed two to three times more body fat than chickens without the viruses, despite having the same diet. However, the chickens’ weight didn’t differ much in the brief trial.

No humans were studied, so it’s not certain if the viruses have the same effect on people.

“The role of adenoviruses in the worldwide epidemic of obesity is a critical question that demands additional research,” write Leah Whigham, PhD, and colleagues.

Whigham works in the University of Wisconsin’s medicine and nutritional sciences departments. Her colleague, Richard Atkinson, MD, now works at Virginia Commonwealth University and heads Obetech, a Virginia company working on blood tests for those viruses.

The findings are published in the American Journal of Physiology -- Regulatory, Integrative, and Comparative Physiology.

Virus + Calories = Obesity?

Obesity has soared worldwide in recent decades. Whigham’s team sees that as a possible clue that viruses are involved.

“The nearly simultaneous increase in the prevalence of obesity in most countries of the world is difficult to explain by changes in food intake and exercise alone, and suggests that adenoviruses could have contributed,” they write.

The idea is controversial. Weight gain is typically understood as being the consequence of consuming more calories than are burned.

Possibly, adenoviruses play a role in that process, suggest Whigham and colleagues. They note that there are currently 51 known types of human adenoviruses, and not all of them produce obesity.

Researchers’ Comments

“It makes people feel more comfortable to think that obesity stems from lack of control,” Whigham says, in a news release. She adds, “It’s a big mental leap to think you can catch obesity.”

Only infectious diseases have spread faster than obesity, write Whigham and colleagues.

Frank Greenway, MD, of Louisiana State University didn’t work on Whigham’s study, but he commented on it in a journal editorial.

So far, tests of human antibodies have linked one human adenovirus to human obesity, according to Greenway. Right now, screening large groups of people for antibodies to all human adenoviruses is a “daunting task,” Greenway writes. He calls for better blood tests that could do that job and pave the way for a vaccine.

Even if such a vaccine is created, calories would still count. Virus or no virus, you’ll likely gain weight if you eat more calories than you burn off.
    Sources: Whigham, L. American Journal of Physiology – Regulatory, Integrative, and Comparative Physiology, January 2006; vol 290: pp 190-194. Greenway, F. American Journal of Physiology – Regulatory, Integrative, and Comparative Physiology, January 2006; vol 290: R188-R190. News release, American Physiological Society.
    Last edited by Y0yo; 01-30-2006 at 11:03 AM.
    If my calculations are correct SLINKY + ESCULATOR = EVERLASTING FUN
    Steroid Info Click Here
    The Truth About Steroids (Video) Click Here
    Rules for Women to Follow (Video) Click Here

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Viruses must also cause people to sit on their ass and eat donuts.
    I know you're half-crazy, but I wish you'd go all the way.

"Razorcut, as usual, is 100% correct." --- ectx

"It is those who know little, and not those who know much, who so positively assert that this or that problem will never be solved by science.” --- Charles Darwin

LOL I think it must have been an obese guy who wrote that.

I understand that obesity is partially genetic but it is also hugely dependant on the way you were raised. If your parents were big and sat around doing nothing then the children have a higher probability of just sitting around and doing nothing.

I think its an excuse frankly, I dont think a vaccine would cure naything and I could only imagine that there would be some pretty crazy side-effects from something like that (if it did indeed have an effect). Would it make you loose fat suddenly or would you still be fat unless you worked it off...

Stupid chickens, I guess you cant make them run on a treadmill.

I don't think it's outside the realm of possibility for certain viruses to wreak havoc on your base metabolic rate, which would account for getting fat on the same amount of food.
    The Reconstruction Project (Journal)

Age: 34, Height: 5'4, Weight: 185, BF: somewhere between 15 and 45%

Weightlifting Start Date: July 26, 2005 - Bench 95 x 6, Dead 110 x 8, Smith Squat 180 x 8
    Bests: Bench 185 x 8, Dead 400 x 1, Zercher Squat 295 x 3

Stop thinking and go lift - Paul Stagg

Hmmm.. I suppose looking in that way it is a possibility, but it does not account for the entirety of the population. Even if it is a pandemic, a lot of people will start using it as an excuse. "I have a virus which is making me fat, Therefore I do not need to get off my ass and eat good food because this vaccine will make me 'get better'"

Iced Earth - Stormrider ArchAngel777's Avatar
    I think it is the otherway around... Viruses happen due to fat ass unhealthy people spreading them! Ha!

Quote Originally Posted by ShockBoxer
    I don't think it's outside the realm of possibility for certain viruses to wreak havoc on your base metabolic rate, which would account for getting fat on the same amount of food.
    But these viruses have been around forever. Why are they just now making us fat? I'm all about evidence-based medicine, but color me skeptical on this one. I need to see more studies.

"It is those who know little, and not those who know much, who so positively assert that this or that problem will never be solved by science.” --- Charles Darwin

People have easier access to food and are more like to eat at their maintenance level? If that were true any reduction of the BMR would trigger weight gain.

Lots of things screw with the BMR. Why not viruses?

Weightlifting Start Date: July 26, 2005 - Bench 95 x 6, Dead 110 x 8, Smith Squat 180 x 8

Quote Originally Posted by ShockBoxer
    People have easier access to food....
    ^^^
    That's the problem. Not a virus.

Yes it is. But if there IS a virus that messes around with your BMR or affects partitioning somehow it certainly wouldn't help any.

The fact is after all these years we're just now realizing that McDonalds has been lacing their burgers with adenovirus. A congressional investigation is imminent. The CEOs of McD's/Burger King/Wendy's will be up there testifying & sweating bullets just like the tobacco guys.

The vaccine must be crack. I've yet to meet a fat (or even overweight) crackhead. Maybe they can just give you a super-sized order of crack with the double meat/triple cheese/extra mayo whopper on a donut.

Quote Originally Posted by razorcut
    The fact is after all these years we're just now realizing that McDonalds has been lacing their burgers with adenovirus. A congressional investigation is imminent. The CEOs of McD's/Burger King/Wendy's will be up there testifying & sweating bullets just like the tobacco guys.

The vaccine must be crack. I've yet to meet a fat (or even overweight) crackhead. Maybe they can just give you a super-sized order of crack with the double meat/triple cheese/extra mayo whopper on a donut.
    Now that's a great proposal! Crack as a weight loss supplement! You'll be too busy spending all your money on crack and won't even think about eating! SCORE!
    Full Powerlifting
    Squat - 595lbs -- 270kg -- Dec. 31, '09 (Provincial Record @100kg class)
    Bench - 374lbs -- 170kg -- Dec 20, '08 (@100kg class)
    Dead - 589lbs -- 267.5kg -- Dec 20, '08 (Provincial Record @100kg class)
    Total: 1537lbs -- 697.5kg -- Dec 20, '08 (Provincial Record @ 100kg class)
    Bench Only -- 358lbs -- 162.5kg -- Nov. 25, '07 (Provincial Record @ 90kg class)
    Bench Only -- 376lbs -- 171kg -- Jan. 26, '08 (Provincial Record @ 100kg class)

LMFAO...smartarse! Perhaps it's something we should write an article on WBB about?
    ecDoesIt

"You're such a girl carbon. You're strong as hell, making wicked progress, and I post in your journal. WTF more could you want?"
    Anthony

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    - Sinclair Lewis

My latest (and only) WBB article.

Quote Originally Posted by ectx
    LMFAO...smartarse! Perhaps it's something we should write an article on WBB about?
    I agree. We can blow this thing wide open. WBB investigative reporting....."The Smoking Gun" style. Watch out you evil burger empires. We're coming after you.
    Last edited by razorcut; 01-31-2006 at 04:00 AM.

Perhaps soon they'll be putting up "McCrack's" next to McDonalds so people can go there after they eat there triple cheeseburger and not feel guilty about it afterwards. I'm sure McDonald's would get right on that.
    Last edited by Guido; 01-31-2006 at 09:26 AM.
    5'9" 195 lbs
    DL 600x1
    SQ 490x1 (raw)
    BP 430x1 (shirted), 320x1 (raw)
    SN 209x1 C+J 250x1

My Training Journal
    www.illinipowerlifting.org

"Most people don't want to learn new things. They only want to hear about things that validate crap they're already doing." - Mike Boyle

I agree. We can blow this thing wide open. WBB investigative reporting....."The Smoking Gun" style. Watch out you evil burger empires. We're coming after you.
    Today, on nightline...a special report from investigative reporters Razorcut and ectx from our WBB Bureau of Health...they uncover the truth behind the great american fast food conspiracy.
    ecDoesIt

"You're such a girl carbon. You're strong as hell, making wicked progress, and I post in your journal. WTF more could you want?"
    Anthony

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    - Sinclair Lewis

My latest (and only) WBB article.

Toughest Man in the World Bruise Brubaker's Avatar
    Maybe some people eat so much crap that their immune system sucks and they can't fight the virus.