The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Thread: Confidence.

Confidence.

For the first time in my life I feel like I am going to be able to walk around with my shirt off, and not think about stupid things like if I have gyno or anything similar. Just in time for the Adults Only night in my states biggest amusement park!

So I'm curious - the mentallity of the body builder. I see the odd big guy, who simply works his upper body, walking around with his chin high and his ego soaring. Is this common place? Or simply a differan't breed of people?

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Every guy, deep down, believes he's exactly 10 crunches and a set of 20 reps with DBs away from perfect stud-dom. They've found their inner-Tarzan. Find yours and you'll wear a speedo even if you weigh 350 lb, 45% BF.
    The Reconstruction Project (Journal)

Age: 34, Height: 5'4, Weight: 185, BF: somewhere between 15 and 45%

Weightlifting Start Date: July 26, 2005 - Bench 95 x 6, Dead 110 x 8, Smith Squat 180 x 8
    Bests: Bench 185 x 8, Dead 400 x 1, Zercher Squat 295 x 3

Stop thinking and go lift - Paul Stagg

Quote Originally Posted by ShockBoxer
    Find yours and you'll wear a speedo even if you weigh 350 lb, 45% BF.

Hey, ShockBoxer

Were you walking around in Speedoís back in the day?....lol

For me confidence came when I faked it and I saw success in what I was doing. After a while I started to believe the hype myself. This doesnít mean I donít get insecure now and then, but I always have the successful experiences to fall back on.
    Blood, Sweat, and Years (My Journal)

You WILL hate yourself later if you actually commit to the lifestyle and your legs are lagging.

-Hatred

Nothing worse than confident people that shouldn't be.

I'd like to be more confident but I'm still a "before".

Quote Originally Posted by xian
    Nothing worse than confident people that shouldn't be.
    I'd argue that people with no confidence at all are worse. At least the over-confident will try and believe they can do it so sometimes succeed. The truly unconfident fail before they begin.

Weightlifting Start Date: July 26, 2005 - Bench 95 x 6, Dead 110 x 8, Smith Squat 180 x 8

I'd argue that people with no confidence at all are worse. At least the over-confident will try and believe they can do it so sometimes succeed. The truly unconfident fail before they begin.
    I see your point, but I think it depends on the situation. I don't want my overconfident neurosurgeon to feel like he "can do it" when he can't; I'd rather have the unconfident guy who says that he can't operate on my brain.

I recognize the weakness of my point, because generally the people who become surgeons are probably fairly confident. However, I think its essence is intact.

Generally I would agree that being unconfident is worse than being overconfident. Lord knows, I suffer fromm the latter sin often enough.
    Don't hate the player. Hate the game.

I doubt there's such a thing as a truly unconfident *successfuk* doctor, lawyer, CEO, fighter, or pro athlete.

I'm guessing there's more than a few that are arrogant *******s who think they are among the best and then have the gall to back it up by earning it.

Yes, an extreme in either direction in the hands of some professionals is a dangerous thing (both a totally unconfident pilot and a supremely overconfident one will get you killed landing a plane). Finding the right level is probably what seperates the great from the good.

Finding the right level is probably what seperates the great from the good.

The difference between a confident person and an arrogant person is that a confident person doesn't feel the need to go bragging about how great they are. Being humble is a silent confidence in oneís self.
    Blood, Sweat, and Years (My Journal)

You WILL hate yourself later if you actually commit to the lifestyle and your legs are lagging.

-Hatred

People with no confidence never go out of their way to annoy me. I don't have to look at the nipples of 50 year old guys who lack confidence at the gym. I don't have to glance upon a senior citizen in a speedo at the beach who doesn't think much of himself. I don't have to gawk at an obese woman in a bikini at the pool unless she's over-confident.

The guy who thinks little of himself will keep to himself, not step on my toes, and doesn't try to nab women at the bar. So yeah, that's way better.

That's true. I was thinking about what was worse for them, though, not everyone around them.

Permission to 'sig'?
    ...........||High School||.....||July '05||.......||January '09||
    Bench.........225x1...............275x1.................?
    Squat...........?.......................?....................365x5
    Deadlift........?.....................315x5...............435x5
    Weight........180...................192...................185
    BF%.............?......................12.....................12
    Time to Get Ripped
    Pictures of Me

I wish the weather in ohio permitted more opportunities to take your shirt off. sigh
    My brother and I were brutal. I once chased him around the house with a spoon that I put on the burner. I burned that little pricks leg. -sharkall2003

Then I saw a little african boy sleeping, and I thought...that is little Okeke. he is tired from herding all the goats and the big goat got away today - Rock

I dont really think anybody will care if youre shirt is off or not.

But you should enjoy being muscular, show it..show them the whole thing, and dont hide away when you pose.
    A big thanks to all my friends in the USA, I am deeply grateful for your hospitality and kindness.

Chicks dig confidence.
    20 years old
    6' 1"
    Current Weight:175 (10/28/08)
    Clean Bulk

Quote Originally Posted by xian
    People with no confidence never go out of their way to annoy me. I don't have to look at the nipples of 50 year old guys who lack confidence at the gym. I don't have to glance upon a senior citizen in a speedo at the beach who doesn't think much of himself. I don't have to gawk at an obese woman in a bikini at the pool unless she's over-confident.

The guy who thinks little of himself will keep to himself, not step on my toes, and doesn't try to nab women at the bar. So yeah, that's way better.
    This is true.
    "It is often said, mainly by the "no-contests", that although there is no positive evidence for the existence of God, nor is there evidence against his existence. So it is best to keep an open mind and be agnostic. At first sight that seems an unassailable position, at least in the weak sense of Pascal's wager. But on second thought it seems a cop-out, because the same could be said of Father Christmas and tooth fairies. There may be fairies at the bottom of the garden. There is no evidence for it, but you can't prove that there aren't any, so shouldn't we be agnostic with respect to fairies?"

Richard Dawkins

"Out of all of the sects in the world, we notice an uncanny coincidence: the overwhelming majority just happen to choose the one that their parents belong to. Not the sect that has the best evidence in its favour, the best miracles, the best moral code, the best cathedral, the best stained glass, the best music: when it comes to choosing from the smorgasbord of available religions, their potential virtues seem to count for nothing, compared to the matter of heredity. This is an unmistakable fact; nobody could seriously deny it. Yet people with full knowledge of the arbitrary nature of this heredity, somehow manage to go on believing in their religion, often with such fanaticism that they are prepared to murder people who follow a different one."

Richard Dawkins

"Bah. You know I hate poor people."

Paul Stagg

still dislikes Art Atwood Hatred's Avatar
    These are wise words and I agree 100%.
    Out of the night that covers me,Black as the Pit from pole to pole,I thank whatever gods may be for my unconquerable soul. In The fell clutch of circumstance I have not winced nor cried aloud. Under the bludgeonings of chance my head is bloody, but unbowed. Beyond this place of wrath and tears looms but the horror of the shade And yet the menace of the years finds, and shall find, me unafraid. It matters not how strait the gate how charged with punishments the scroll,I am the master of my fate: I am the captain of my soul.
    Twitter: @joshuagbsn Follow me as I laugh at the world, and you.

Quote Originally Posted by Rock
    I dont really think anybody will care if youre shirt is off or not.

But you should enjoy being muscular, show it..show them the whole thing, and dont hide away when you pose.
    Yes! A man who knows his pumping iron.

"Remember one thing, when you pose...a lot of little guys have one habit.
    And they hide away when they pose. When they do an arm pose, they do like this. The big guy will come right out with his arm. Never do that, never hide away. Like right now, you did like this. You know, show them. Show them the whole thing. Make the move, open up the whole body."

Quote Originally Posted by fatrb38
    Permission to 'sig'?
    Sig away (though the sentence structure could use a little work).

hahaha make the move! thats awesome Chris that you remember every word!
    A big thanks to all my friends in the USA, I am deeply grateful for your hospitality and kindness.

Every guy, deep down, believes he's exactly 10 crunches and a set of 20 reps with DBs away from perfect stud-dom. They've found their inner-Tarzan. Find yours and you'll wear a speedo even if you weigh 350 lb, 45% BF.
    Shockboxer, that is eminenetly quotable.
    5'9" 195 lbs
    DL 600x1
    SQ 490x1 (raw)
    BP 430x1 (shirted), 320x1 (raw)
    SN 209x1 C+J 250x1

My Training Journal
    www.illinipowerlifting.org

"Most people don't want to learn new things. They only want to hear about things that validate crap they're already doing." - Mike Boyle