The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

westside de bench

hey all,
    this is my first week using a westside template. today was my first de bench day, and i did 8 sets of 3 reps, using 50% of my max which turned out to be 135lbs (275 max), varying between 3 different grips all inside the rings, and applying as much force as possible with my elbows close to my body. im pretty sure i was using good form as the 45plates were ringing off the collar and the cuff, but i dont feel taxed. i was wondering what your experiences are. am i supposed to be tired, taxed, etc, because i didnt feel as if i did all that much. maybe i am doing it wrong? any input would be appreciated. thanks!

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

I'm not doing Westside but I do have a speed bench day in there. I find the same thing. I'm hoping it's right.

Increase the percentage to 55% and see if you can still move the bar fast.

I train around 60% on DE day. With <60 second rests, I get tired after 8 sets.
    Squats work better than supplements.
    "You know, if I thought like that, I'd never put more than one plate on the bar for anything, I'd never use bands or chains, I'd never squat to parallel or below, and I'd never let out the slightest grunt when I lift. At some point in your lifting career (assuming you're planning on getting reasonably strong and big), you're going to have to accept that most people think you are some kind of freak." -Sensei
    "You're wrong, and I have a completely irrelevant pubmed abstract that may or may not say so." - Belial
    I has a blog.
    I has a facebook.

What Paul said.

Also, make sure your setup is nice and tight. You want to have the same setup and form as you would with a max effort bench attempt. It took me a while to figure this out, but once I got it down, my DE days started to kick my ass every time.

Stats: Age: 34 Weight: 205 Height: 5'6"
    Gym PRs: Squat:635 Bench:560 Deadlift:495
    Meet PRs: Squat:575 Bench:520 Deadlift:510 Total: 1605@220

do you lower the weight as fast as possible or is it just the lift where you apply maximal force? thanks.

You want to bring it down fairly fast but still under as much control as possible. If after 8 or 9 sets, you aren't feeling especially taxed then the rest periods are probably too long. They should be between 30-60 seconds. It is only dynamic effort for pure speed. You'll feel a bit of tiredness but nothing like going to failure.
    What is elite?
    "Those who work the hardest often complain the least." -anonymous
    Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional.

Wannabebig Member
    i thought DE days were supposed to be max reps?...

Quote Originally Posted by steve22
    i thought DE days were supposed to be max reps?...
    DE = dynamic effort
    ME = maximum effort
    A child does not learn to squat from the top down. In other words, he does not suddenly make a conscious decision one day to squat. Actually, he is squatting one day and make the conscious decision to stand. Squatting precedes standing in the developmental sequence. This is the way a child's brain learns to use the body as the child develops movement patterns. Therefore, a child is probably crawling, rocks back into a squatting position with the back completely relaxed and the hips completely flexed, and stands when he has enough hip strength. This approach makes a lot of sense and can be applied to relearning the deep squat movement if it is lost. -Gray Cook
    Lifting Clips: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=johnnymnemonic2
    Blog: http://squatrx.blogspot.com/

Wannabebig Member
    i understand what DE and ME are but isnt DE= repetition day? correct..meaning more than 3 reps?

DE means speed.

There are no true "rep" days in the basic Westside template. Rep sets are done on both ME and DE days by way of accessory and supplemental movements after the main movement.

Stats: Age: 34 Weight: 205 Height: 5'6"
    Gym PRs: Squat:635 Bench:560 Deadlift:495
    Meet PRs: Squat:575 Bench:520 Deadlift:510 Total: 1605@220

Listen to Drew.

What everybody else said. Bring the weight up 10-20lbs and work around 60%.
    "You can take control of my mind and my body, but there is one thing a Saiyan always keeps.... his PRIDE!"- Vegeta

My Exploits