The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Squats and Knee Pain - Form Related?

Hey gang. This could probably go in General Health too, but anyway. I've been experiencing some abnormal pain in my right knee when doing my heavier sets of squats. I haven't had any knee injuries beyond some minor bang ups here and there, so I'm wondering if improper form could be causing it? My stance is generally around shoulder width or slightly wider, and I point my toes out slightly. I'm usually below parallel on the lighter sets, and at parallel on the heavier ones. Are there any flaws with this at face value? Or could it just be something going on with my knee that has nothing to do with squats?
    Best way to cheat on deadlifts...

Stand there for a few minutes, then pace back and forth a lot, huff and puff, wait until everybody's looking. Approach the bar. Back off. Approach it again. Back off. Get some water. Chalk up. Approach the bar again. Then spray some more chalk around. Wait until people start losing interest. When nobody's looking, pick it a little off the floor, and slam it down. Jump up and yell "LIGHT WEIGHT BABY". Then give high fives all around. - Belial

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Do you get the pain with no weight? Do you get the pain during the set, after, or both? Deep throbing pain? Sharp shooting pain? Tightness?
    Facebook - BW166 SQ585 BP405 DL660 CL310

I generally feel the pain with weights only when I'm near parallel. It almost feels like my knee wants to pop, but it doesn't. Kind of like cracking a knuckle, like it will give with enough force.

Stand there for a few minutes, then pace back and forth a lot, huff and puff, wait until everybody's looking. Approach the bar. Back off. Approach it again. Back off. Get some water. Chalk up. Approach the bar again. Then spray some more chalk around. Wait until people start losing interest. When nobody's looking, pick it a little off the floor, and slam it down. Jump up and yell "LIGHT WEIGHT BABY". Then give high fives all around. - Belial

Do your knees move in during the ascent? Do you lock them out hard so you are over extending?
    Current Stats --------------- Training Goals: Improve athletic conditioning.
    Squat - 305lbs - 1/23/06 ----- 335
    Deadlift - 415lbs - 2/4/06 ---- 435
    Bench - 90s*7 ----------------- 100s*5
    Weight - 208 ------------------ 190
    Height - 5'10"

My Journal|My Routine|My FitDay
    WBBB|"Many of life's failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up" - Thomas Edison

What's your warmup like?

Eric - I try to keep my knees from moving or swaying side to side. I have a fairly slow, steady ROM. And I don't lock my knees out.

Anthony - I usually do one warm up set of 45 x 8, then depending on how much weight I'm doing that session, I'll do a second set of 95 x 8 or 135 x 5. Is that too little? The most I've done recently for working sets is 170 x 5 x 5.

Try 4-5 minutes of light biking before your normal warmup. Also try some ATF squats with no weight and sit in the bottom position for a few seconds. Although, I'm almost leaning (no pun intended) towards a form issue if you don't feel the problem with no weight. How heavy do you have to go before you feel this? If you go past parallel with heavy weight, do you still get the same problem?

Well I used to warm myself up on leg days with 5 minutes on the bike, but then people kept saying to warm up for lifting weights by lifting weights

I think I'll go back to warming up with the bike for a few minutes and see how that goes.

I hope it's not a form issue. I thought I had it down by now. Does my stance at least seem fine by what I outlined above? My foot placement feels good, and I don't let my back get rounded or arched. I keep my eyes forward and don't look up or down, and I basically act like I'm sitting down. Any other pointers?

Well, in my opinion there are two types of warmup - cardiovascular and cns. I usually do both. That means a quick ride on the bike and then gradual build up with whatever exercise I'm doing. It works well for me.

As for form, it's hard to say without seeing you do it. You could describe what you do, but it's not like you're watching yourself from the side while you do it. Know what I mean?

Try the warmup, play around with your stance, and if you still have problems when adding weight, borrow a camera and film yourself.

And even if I don't have advice based on your answers to the questions above, if you decide to go see a physiotherapist, they will probably ask the same thing. So have answers before you waste time.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony
    You could describe what you do, but it's not like you're watching yourself from the side while you do it. Know what I mean?