The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

so.. built... u think the trap bar is as good for back developement as teh strait bar or not? or would it be atleast good for back developement?
    22 - 5'11'' - 190 lb
    PR's - Squat 350 | Bench 290 | Deadlift 400.4 | BW 203
    P Clean 98 KG | Jerk 106 | Full Clean 106 |
    Philippians 4:13 - "I can do anything through Christ who strengthens me."
    "I'm really impressed with your dedication. I will call it your jedication." - killxswitch
    J O U R N A L !
    TJW

As long as the shoulder girdle elevates, the traps I and II are going to get worked. The trap bar is more of a convenience than a necessity.
    Vin Diesel has a fever.. and the only prescription is more cowbell.

Budiak: That girl I maced
    Budiak: macked
    Budiak: heh maced
    Budiak: I wish

ShmrckPmp5: a good thing people can't fire guns through the computer...your ass would have been shot years ago

Y2A 47: youre smooth as hell
    Y2A 47: thats why you get outta tickets, and into panties

galileo: you're a fucking beast and I hate you
    galileo: hate

assgrabbers are never subtile, they will grabb ass whereever they go,public or not, I know the type, because I am one. - Rock

whats a shoulder girdle?
    22 - 5'11'' - 190 lb
    "I'm really impressed with your dedication. I will call it your jedication." - killxswitch
    J O U R N A L !
    TJW

Banned
    if i'm thinking of the right bar i heard it kinda acts like a squat/deadlift hybrid. i prefer the straight bar.

and i just started my second week on this program. i'm definitely liking it so far. i like it alot. but i just got sick
    hopefully i'm better tomorrow so i can go lift.

look great

not pleased with the crappy routine i made for myself that i have been doing the past 4 months or so (shouldve changed earlier), so im going to give this a shot. it looks very good.

so built, you recommend doing romanian deadlifts instead of just regular deadlifts for this program?

also, when you said "(If you do a third,..." and you give an exercise, do you recommend yourself doing a 3rd exercise, or is it just an individual choice? i want to get as much hypertrophy as possible, but i dont want to work against myself and over do it.

and finally, when you say, for example, do 5x5 bench etc., does that mean each set will be the same weight, or do you recommend pyramiding the weights and increasing the weight each set? if its the latter, should all the sets be somewhat difficult (example: increase by 5 lb after each bench set), or am i shooting for whatever allows me to lift the most on the last set which means i would have a relatively big jump in weight i would bench from set 4 to 5 (so i dont tax myself by lifting too much before set 5)? im also assuming im supposed to stay about 1 to 2 reps short of failure, correct?
    Last edited by PoutineEh; 03-12-2006 at 05:12 PM.

Chrispy - I hope you're better soon.

Cadana - basically, it's a volume consideration. Some people like to put a little more volume into a lagging bodypart. I offered it as an option for this situation. Read PowerManDL's Hypertrophy Primer for more on this - it's an excellent thread, and I've included the link above as well for this reason.

Oh, and I don't pyramid the weight - I pick a weight I can JUST BARELY squeak through all 5 sets. If I fail on the last set, that's fine.

Editing in: I can't do off the floor deads without scraping the hell out of my shins. Okay, I'm a wuss. So I do rack pulls on horizontal push pull day, and RDLs on hamstring day. You can do off the floor deads on either day if you prefer.

Quote Originally Posted by Built
    Chrispy - I hope you're better soon.

Cadana - basically, it's a volume consideration. Some people like to put a little more volume into a lagging bodypart. I offered it as an option for this situation. Read PowerManDL's Hypertrophy Primer for more on this - it's an excellent thread, and I've included the link above as well for this reason.

Oh, and I don't pyramid the weight - I pick a weight I can JUST BARELY squeak through all 5 sets. If I fail on the last set, that's fine.

Editing in: I can't do off the floor deads without scraping the hell out of my shins. Okay, I'm a wuss. So I do rack pulls on horizontal push pull day, and RDLs on hamstring day. You can do off the floor deads on either day if you prefer.

alright great, you answered all my questions. now its time for me to do it.

Wannabebig Member
    This is my second week of BGB and all I can say is: AWESOME!!! I absolutely love it!!

I do need to work on my timing though as far as rest periods...
    Julie
    5'4"
    278/179(162)/160
    43%/29%/18%

http://www.geocities.com/j050496

Wannabebig Member
    You don't need to help it is all me... I just need to tell myself that I need to rest between sets... I am the one that likes to do the high density training with no rests inbetween...

I just need to MAKE myself rest
    Julie
    5'4"
    278/179(162)/160
    43%/29%/18%

Well, you can NOT (to any appreciable extent) exercise off the fat - you diet off the weight, and lift heavy and short to convince your body to hang onto the muscle it would MUCH rather ditch (darned energy drain!). High density training will compromise your ability to lift heavy, so you'll be more likely to drop muscle than fat.

Does this help?

Wannabebig Member
    Yes that does help... I was thinking... 1 minute rest between sets and two minutes rests between exercises... I think I will start with that and see how that goes... I need to start small

Thanks!
    Julie
    5'4"
    278/179(162)/160
    43%/29%/18%

Rest as long as you need to in order to keep the weight on the bar as your cut progresses.

I was squatting 185 in 3-rep sets last summer toward the end of my cut. With five minute rests.

Wannabebig Member
    Right now I am doing 5 reps/5 sets of 170lbs squats... With about 30 seconds in between... I am going for 175lbs next week... All butt action... maybe that is why the toilet seat hurts
    Julie
    5'4"
    278/179(162)/160
    43%/29%/18%

Wannabebig Member
    Yep.. I might not go that low but the hammies and calves do touch-- barely but they do... My legs are my best part of my body... My heaviest has been 200 for 2 reps with free weights/barbell...

I do more smith machine now instead of free barbell since I got the smith machine...
    Julie
    5'4"
    278/179(162)/160
    43%/29%/18%

Senior Member Canadian Crippler's Avatar
    Built, there was a girl on this forum who could do 225 for 10, all the way down, and she was relatively new to training. She wasn't fat either. I also know a chick who can rep out the whole "stack" on machine leg press at her school, and she just plays sports; does not lift. And she's pretty hat.
    Last edited by Canadian Crippler; 03-17-2006 at 11:57 AM.
    "I added some db curls with the pink weights for a bit of a burn." - Rookiebldr

"im assuming the holy (big) 3 are: curls, bench, legs?" - Saggas

"had a huge ass burn on my triceps while I was doing those kickbacks, so they'll likely be staying with my exercise program." - Zearoth

"most of my burned calories coming from something called Basal. Wtf does a leaf have to do with any of it?" - Votorx

"We have a lot of people like that on our campus, all hippies and things, that go around preaching against corporations, jocks, preps, accountants, and anyone else that feels the need to shower more than occasionally." - Shankerr

"Damn man why are some women just so demonic and evil.. its like you wanna get a stake and mallet and an erection at the same time." - WBBIRL

Wannabebig Member
    I can do a lot more weight with my legs... they are big and strong... Now if I could just get this upper body to follow suit life would be better

I have maxed out my leg press machine here at home... it only goes to 420lbs (a little home gym) and I can do over 25 reps per set on them... I just do one leg presses now...
    Julie
    5'4"
    278/179(162)/160
    43%/29%/18%

Working2bebuff - you are one strong chickie!

I would strongly urge you to never ever do smith squats - you seem like a nice person, and you deserve to keep your knees. No one should ever be doing Smith squats. They force your body into a plane of motion, and place what is called a shear force on your knees. Stick with the Oly bar for these. And go all the way down. You're strong already - you might as well get all you can out of your squats, instead of compromising both your development and your knee health.

Another option for leg press is to use a low foot placement - this requires less weight and places more stress on the quad.

man working2bebuff, i wish i could leg press as much as you. i can only get like 300 lol.
    22 - 5'11'' - 190 lb
    J O U R N A L !
    TJW

Senior Member Canadian Crippler's Avatar
    You can squat 290 but only leg press 300?
    "I added some db curls with the pink weights for a bit of a burn." - Rookiebldr

"im assuming the holy (big) 3 are: curls, bench, legs?" - Saggas

"had a huge ass burn on my triceps while I was doing those kickbacks, so they'll likely be staying with my exercise program." - Zearoth

"most of my burned calories coming from something called Basal. Wtf does a leaf have to do with any of it?" - Votorx

"We have a lot of people like that on our campus, all hippies and things, that go around preaching against corporations, jocks, preps, accountants, and anyone else that feels the need to shower more than occasionally." - Shankerr

"Damn man why are some women just so demonic and evil.. its like you wanna get a stake and mallet and an erection at the same time." - WBBIRL