The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Wannabebig Member
    Thanks Built... I will switch between the oly bar and smith... I do the smith because I don't ever have a spotter and I like the safety aspect... If you could get my husband to join me at 5 a.m. I would only do oly squats...

Thanks Jed... I love the leg press... gives me a sense of accomplishment and a tad of self-confidence which I severely lack...
    Julie
    5'4"
    278/179(162)/160
    43%/29%/18%

http://www.geocities.com/j050496

Senior Member Canadian Crippler's Avatar
    Do you not have a squat or power rack to use? Like with the safety pins? There's really no point in doing the Smith squats, Oly squats are better in all aspects.
    "I added some db curls with the pink weights for a bit of a burn." - Rookiebldr

"im assuming the holy (big) 3 are: curls, bench, legs?" - Saggas

"had a huge ass burn on my triceps while I was doing those kickbacks, so they'll likely be staying with my exercise program." - Zearoth

"most of my burned calories coming from something called Basal. Wtf does a leaf have to do with any of it?" - Votorx

"We have a lot of people like that on our campus, all hippies and things, that go around preaching against corporations, jocks, preps, accountants, and anyone else that feels the need to shower more than occasionally." - Shankerr

"Damn man why are some women just so demonic and evil.. its like you wanna get a stake and mallet and an erection at the same time." - WBBIRL

Wannabebig Member
    I will have to look into a squat or power rack... I just bought all new equipment and a new oly with 300lbs of weight... Not sure we can afford anything else but will try...

I will keep an eye on my knees... I have never had any pain in my knees at all that would make me think that I could screw one up... Thanks for the advice!
    Julie
    5'4"
    278/179(162)/160
    43%/29%/18%

Hey all, I'm gonna start this routine but I'm not exactly sure on how to perform the " Hammer Strength Row " & " Hammer High Row "

I've searched it plenty but can't find those specific workout descriptions.
    If someone can post a link or pic on how to perform these would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

There's a thread on the first page of this forum

http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=76613

great thanks.

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Canadian Crippler
    Do you not have a squat or power rack to use? Like with the safety pins? There's really no point in doing the Smith squats, Oly squats are better in all aspects.
    Okay I am a novice and don't really totally understand but I don't think stating "there is really no point in doing the Smith squats" is really a true statement...

My quads feel awesome and I feel great when I do them... I understand they aren't the preferred method of doing them, but I am sure not everyone does every exercise in the preferred method of someone else...
    Last edited by Working2bebuff; 03-21-2006 at 05:20 PM.
    Julie
    5'4"
    278/179(162)/160
    43%/29%/18%

Quote Originally Posted by Working2bebuff
    Okay I am a novice and don't really totally understand but I don't think stating "there is really no point in doing the Smith squats" is really a true statement...

My quads feel awesome and I feel great when I do them... I understand they aren't the preferred method of doing them, but I am sure not everyone does every exercise in the preferred method of someone else...
    if you read after crip said there is no point in doing smith squats, he mentioned because oly squats are better in all aspects. If you can do oly squats do them over smith squats...always. This is for numerous reasons which I believe have been mentioned a bunch of times earlier in this thread.
    PRs: 655/525/645 = 1825 Total
    Meet PRs: Bench Only 525

Deadlifts bring people together. It's a fact. - Chris Rodgers

Senior Member Canadian Crippler's Avatar
    Yeah, I'm not saying they are a useless exercise, I'm saying there is no point in doing them if you can do free squats.

If I were to want to hit my quads with a supported movement (smith squats are a supported movement), I'd hit up the hack squat or leg press. Again though, only after squatting or deadlifting.
    Last edited by Canadian Crippler; 03-21-2006 at 05:43 PM.
    "I added some db curls with the pink weights for a bit of a burn." - Rookiebldr

"im assuming the holy (big) 3 are: curls, bench, legs?" - Saggas

"had a huge ass burn on my triceps while I was doing those kickbacks, so they'll likely be staying with my exercise program." - Zearoth

"most of my burned calories coming from something called Basal. Wtf does a leaf have to do with any of it?" - Votorx

"We have a lot of people like that on our campus, all hippies and things, that go around preaching against corporations, jocks, preps, accountants, and anyone else that feels the need to shower more than occasionally." - Shankerr

"Damn man why are some women just so demonic and evil.. its like you wanna get a stake and mallet and an erection at the same time." - WBBIRL

Wannabebig Member
    Okay sorry... I do a number of different things for my quads... I am still just learning all of this...

Sorry and thanks for the help and advice!!
    Julie
    5'4"
    278/179(162)/160
    43%/29%/18%

when doing these exercises, am i supposed to be adding weight, or keeping it steady

example:
    bench 5x5
    should it be - 95x5,115x5,135x5,155x5,175x5
    or something like 135x5,135x5,135x5,135x5,135x5

right now i'm doing it adding weight, but i just want to make sure that i'm doing it right, thanks

Reach down between your legs and find a pair of balls. That's what it takes to lift big weights. Genetics is the weak man's excuse for why he sucks at life. Don't be that guy - RhodeHouse

Any man under 200lbs is a woman - RhodeHouse

BUILT! Awesome routine! My back is exploding. I've been on your program for almost a month now and have seen larger full body gains in this month than any other bulk. If you make another routine let me be the first to know. Thanks again.
    "it's you against you, it's the paradox that drives us all"

6'1", 206, 11.5%
    Bench: 285
    Squat: 275
    DeadLift: 335
    -------------
    Total: 895 and moving up.

Check my progress and read more in My Journal.

Front squats

First of all Built, i just wanna say that you look fantastic!!! Your back routine looks awesome. My back is one of my weaker body parts and i can't wait to try it out.

Refering to the squats, i am only able to do front squats after switching to it a couple years back. I have now grown used to it and find the regular squats uncomfortable on my back.

My question is, would i be missing any of the benefits that a regular squats provides? Thanks in advance!
    Last edited by cy6ex; 04-08-2006 at 10:35 AM.

Wannabebig Member
    Hey Built. Long time. I've been on this for about six weeks now, and it's working great. My question is, I'm gonna change my diet up and try to shed some bodyfat, so am I going to accomplish my goal with this program?
    Last edited by pjfan; 04-13-2006 at 09:44 PM.

pjfan: you're going to be able to accomplish your goal with any reasonable program. what matters a lot when cutting is your diet. anyhow, i reckon built's program is pretty good for cutting as well.

Getting un-streamlined Progress's Avatar

Spreadsheet weekly log

Here is a quick Excel spreadsheet I made for BGB. I find it helpful.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Im looking at this routine and kicking myself for putting on as much weight as I did with beer etc....

There is a question at the end of this, but I just wanted to give you a breif history. In '02 i was 500lbs, I had the Gastric Bypass and got down to 230. Did not work out much, dropped on vice (eating) for another (drinking):alcoholic and packed on 100lbs. Im at 335 as of this morning... Down 30lbs in the last 6 weeks from 365.

My question is.. I know I screwed up by gaining the weight in the first place. I have kicked the beer and got back in the saddle losing weight again. i am losing at a rate of 5-7lbs per week. Hopefully all fat, but I doubt it. The first time I lost weight it was acombination of fat and muscle. This time around I want to make sure I can maintain muscle gains while burning off all possible fat. I am only averaging 1100-1300 cals a day with at least 80% being proteins.

From what Ive read BGB sounds great and would get me off of the current program Im on, which alternates between Power/Rep Range/Shock (super setting) on a weekly basis.

Would you recommend BGB for a person in my position... "Losing weight quickly on limited cals, but wants to maintain muscle while losing fat". Im also incorporating 3 spinning (HIIT) classes per week and 2 machine cardio days when not spinning.

Any recommendations would be appreciated... This goes for anyone with knowledge/expirence on this subject.

Thanks!

Any person whose weight is fluctuating by hundreds of pounds, and had surgery and is medically limited to certain diets and activities, needs to consult a doctor as to the appropriate course of action, not a weight lifting web site.

No particular lifting program will solve any of these much larger issues.

The journal / I live here.

If I were to start from scratch as a young 13 year old again, I would do every press, squat, and perhaps deadlifts, for my entire career with chains. -- Dan John

Quote Originally Posted by MixmasterNash
    Any person whose weight is fluctuating by hundreds of pounds, and had surgery and is medically limited to certain diets and activities, needs to consult a doctor as to the appropriate course of action, not a weight lifting web site.

No particular lifting program will solve any of these much larger issues.
    Thats what I was thinking.. then I did and my Gastro recommended this site to find good workout routines and advice.

Would BGB be recommended for someone who is looking to lose fat and maintian muscle?
    Last edited by GrumpyFlex; 05-23-2006 at 10:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by GrumpyFlex
    Would BGB be recommended for someone who is looking to lose fat and maintian muscle?
    Almost any decent routine is good for someone in your situation.

If I were to start from scratch as a young 13 year old again, I would do every press, squat, and perhaps deadlifts, for my entire career with chains. -- Dan John

Getting un-streamlined Progress's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MixmasterNash
    Almost any decent routine is good for someone in your situation.
    Wouldn't you think someone with little to no workout experience, I'm not sure if he is or isn't experienced, should be involved with a slightly less voluminous routine?

My suggestion is to try WBB1 for a while.

Quote Originally Posted by Progress
    Wouldn't you think someone with little to no workout experience, I'm not sure if he is or isn't experienced, should be involved with a slightly less voluminous routine?

My suggestion is to try WBB1 for a while.
    Of course. Volume and load should always be modified to suit the individual.

Wow - getting caught up here!

Motoko – I keep ‘em all the same, for no particular reason. If you CAN increase as you go along, please do.
    MJS – that’s awesome!
    Cy6ex – front squats will work perfectly.
    Pjfan – sure, it’ll work fine for cutting. Drop the volume on the accessory movements as required.
    Progress – that’s wonderful, thank you!
    Grumpy – keep it simple while you get started and get your diet worked out. WBB1 will work fine for you.

Props to Built on this program. I've only been on BGB for 4 weeks and my back, traps & shoulders have seen incredible growth in that short period of time. I'm can't even button the 2nd button on my shirts without feeling really uncomfortable.