The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    Quote Originally Posted by Natetaco
    wow I really like the look of this routine, I think im going to start it after im done with Bill Starr 5x5 in a couple of weeks.
    Thanks! I think you'll find it a natural fit after the 5x5 programme.

some questions.

1. When doing 5x5 does this mean 5x5 at one particular weight every set like 5x5 with 200 every set? Or 5x5 like working up to your highest set of 5? like bill starrs?
    You can do it either way, I suppose. I'm cutting right now, and have replaced my 5x5s with a double-wave-loading paradigm, as per Ian King's Wave Loading Manifesto.

2. On width back day, what are high hammer rows, and behind the neck hammer rows? hammer a machine im guessing? Can these be replaced by pulldowns or something?

thankyou
    Hammer Strength equipment, correct. Use whatever lat sub you want here.

i have one minor question...

i have done my deads on my hamstring dominant day, and followed them up with SLDL.

does that provide enough balance compared to quad day where i do squats and leg presses heavy, or should i maybe toss in some hypers or something as a lighter movement. i found the timing to be right, but don't want to swap out deads to any day but friday so i can really get some rest on saturday.

per exrx, deads are "glute" movements, and i know they hit the hams per some earlier posts, but i just can't help but feel like i might be short changing my hammies by doing deads as my primary heavy movement for them.

if anyone can help, i'll be a happy camper. thanks,

Vita
    "A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, and die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." - Robert Heinlein

My Journal

Quote Originally Posted by Vita
    i have one minor question...

i have done my deads on my hamstring dominant day, and followed them up with SLDL.

does that provide enough balance compared to quad day where i do squats and leg presses heavy, or should i maybe toss in some hypers or something as a lighter movement. i found the timing to be right, but don't want to swap out deads to any day but friday so i can really get some rest on saturday.

per exrx, deads are "glute" movements, and i know they hit the hams per some earlier posts, but i just can't help but feel like i might be short changing my hammies by doing deads as my primary heavy movement for them.

if anyone can help, i'll be a happy camper. thanks,

Vita
    Well, maybe move your off-the-floor deads to horizontal day (I do them as rack pulls for this purpose), then do RDLs followed by GHRs or high foot placement leg press, or even pull-throughs or GMs, on hamstring day.

hey built....i remember mentioning this to u over the pm comvo that its a fantastic set of principles because of their flexibilty and compatability with the lifter, so i thought i'd make this public ( :lol: ) I LOVE THIS PROGRAM

i havent done it, but its freaking awesome....it follows the PERFECT principles for hypertrophy+strength, and if it is tweaked correctly, it can be PERFECTLY blended into a POWERBUILDING type workout.

awesome post....and i wont say my respect for u has gone up just a notch, coz its always been very very very high up

peace

Sentinel

Crap. I think I've been doing this whole thing wrong. Are you supposed to do each set so that you don't have enough energy for another rep? Because that's what I've been doing for BGB. Does anyone know?

Thanks Sentinel.

CODmaster, you may very well hit failure. It's okay. You don't NEED to HIT failure every time, but you DO need to lift as heavy as you can, given the rep range. But that's true of pretty much any programme, not just mine.

There are no limits DaoineSidhe's Avatar
    Would hitting failure or finishing a few reps shy of it give the best results for hypertrophy?
    Height: 5'5
    Weight: 195
    Body Fat: 30% (from an online measuring formula)
    Goal: get to 170, be 15% bf or lower, and to eat a healthier diet

I seriously can't see that it's going to matter much. The biggest deal for hypertrophy is extra calories. As I understand these things, failure training tends to be hard on CNS, which can limit your ability to truly fatigue the muscle, at least over time.

Bumpers.

I saw a thread... A while back now about the amount of volume for chest in the program. Built offered a solution... With added chest work on a particular day however I now can't remember what it was =S. I tried to find it again today however despite searching I wasn't able to.

Was wondering if anyone could please point me in the direction of the thread dealing with this...?

Much appreciated
    My Journal

Nothing in the world can take the place of Persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'Press On' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.

Thanks very much =D.

I've printed all those articles out but I didn't even think to look there I came straight for the forums!

Thanks again.
    My Journal

Nothing in the world can take the place of Persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'Press On' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.

Hey built, would throwing in shoulder shrugs be too much on shoulder day?
    5'10" 196lbs as of 6/10/11
    Best lifts B 365/ S 425/ DL 545/ OHP 200
    Goals: B 385+ S 450+ DL 600+ OHP 225+
    Progression Pics->http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=122375
    Journal with vids/pics http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...07#post2364507

Getting un-streamlined Progress's Avatar
    Anything problematic if I replace bent over rows with Pendlay rows?

Wannabebig Member
    Has anyone tried doing this routine MWF? It would be slightly less volume per week obviously... Built or anyone, do you think doing it 3 days a week would be as effective? Maybe I should try to increase the volume a little bit per workout to compensate?
    Thanks

Wannabebig Member
    bump

xtian - how about hang cleans on vertical day? I do these from time to time for the 5x5 and I love what they've done for my upper body development, particularly through the shoulders and upper trap area.

Progress - I like the way you think. Go for it.

Laxman - I have a number of friends cycling through the programme like this:
    Week 1: workouts 1 2 3
    Week 2: workouts 4 1 2
    Week 3: workouts 3 4 1
    Week 4: workouts 1 2 3

You may find this works quite well as a compromise.

I switched my routine and have been using BGB got the past 2 months and have a question regarding the order of excercises.

Here is an example of a routine for one of the days:

Full Squat 5x5
    Leg Press 3x8
    Leg Curl 3-4x12-20
    Seated Curls 5x5
    Hammer Curls 3x8-12
    Plank 3x8-12

Will I be negatively affecting my routine if I do the seated curls, planks and last the hammer curls? A lot of times I am burned out after the five sets of seated curls and would be able to lift more weight if I did planks in between the curls.

Any insite would be helpful! Thanks
    I eat slow moving children