Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Built's Baby Got Back - full writeup

Hybrid View

Built's Baby Got Back - full writeup

Baby Got Back

This is a push-pull split that divides back workouts into vertical and horizontal planes, and hits legs twice a week with two separate workouts. This was inspired from a conversation I had with Erik Ledin a while back, and is based on principals outlined by Ian King in his book “Get Buffed!” http://www.getbuffed.net/

Click the link above for the full article, with demos of some of the main lifts and a sample split at the end.

GETTIN' FIT OR BUST!!!
    Now that is detail.... the exact oposite of WBB1!!! I need something in the middle!!! You definately know your stuff.....

Wannabe Absolutely Huge trasmi21's Avatar
    Sticky!

Built I think you're my hero.
    Last edited by trasmi21; 02-01-2006 at 06:58 PM.
    Height: 6'4
    Beginning Weight as of August '05: 210
    Weight as of December '05: 235
    Weight as of January '06: 240
    ***Now Cutting***
    Weight as of March 20th: 220
    BF%: Not sure, but it's better.

My Journal

Overcome

I so dibbsed her like, before you guys were even born, yo.

... but seriously, Lyle who? What's his name Berardi? All I know is t3h BUILT.
    Poo is also LBM - The Built

wheels make the arm strong
    nice ! I think we need more of built's post to be stickys
    fell off the body building wagon trying to get back on

ive done nothing but heavy deads and rows for my back for the last 6 months, with the occasional 2 or 3 sets of pullups and my back is BY FAR my best bodypart, i can front lat spread very wide now and ive never been wider/thicker in my life. i used to do seated rows and pulldowns along with moderate weight barbell rows, but now that i have switched exclusively to deads and rows, ive never seen such results in my back.
    Last edited by levronefan; 02-02-2006 at 05:02 PM.

Since this decimates the WBB routines(well....sorta?) I am kind of lost with some of the stuff in there. When you describe the exercises for each day, how many should be sufficient? "Select from:".

Also how long should one stay on this split? or is it a good permanent split as long as you change the exercises up every lets say 6-8 weeks?
    My sig scared getfit.

Read the bottom of the split. I describe how to set it up.

I pretty much keep it going all year.

Change the order, change the rep range, change the tempo, change the exercise selection ...

For example, you can do chest, then back OR back, then chest, OR a set of back, a set of chest ...

You can do squats, split squats, Bulgarians...

DeaTH BeFoRe WeaKNeSs sCaRz*Of*PaiN's Avatar
    Nice post, Built. My respect points for you have gone up +10.
    "The only easy day was yesterday."

Wannabebig Member

"built"

Built, what is your recommendations for rest periods between the sets you initially described here.

Whenever I read the title I can't help but think it is a bun shaping routine. Squats with Sir Mixalot in the background.

Very informative and well thought out. The WBB community benefits greatly from your wisdom.

Thanks douglas!

I named it from the deadlifts - you have to stick your ass OUT to do a proper dead, and I found it helpful to invoke the wisdom of Sir Mix when I did them...

pjfan, I don't have a set recommendation for rests. You can build whatever periodization scheme into this bodypart split that suits you. I suppose I'd say longer rests between the 5x5 heavy compounds, shorter for the concentration/accessory work.

Wannabebig Member
    Alright "Built" I'm giving this a go. It is exactly what I've been looking for. This is the last question and I won't bother you again(maybe) So,on the Delt routine I want to do Arnies since I've never have before. What do you recommend pairing them with? And Should I do them first or second? I read somewhere that I should do them after a mass builder but they look so much like overhead presses. I appreciate your help.

You're not bothering me!

Do the Arnies first. You can see how I built them into the split here:

Great Program!! i just finished my first week up, feeling good. only one concern, Squatting the day after some heavy Rack Pulls. Built, do you think this takes away from getting the most out of your Squats?

USN - thank you!

I don't find rack pulls and squats compete with each other, but I start my rack pulls at just above knee height.

If you find this problematic, you could try

Monday: horizontal push pull, calves
    Tuesday: off
    Wednesday: quad dominant, (maybe ditch bicep work)
    Thursday: vertical push pull, calves
    Friday: off
    Saturday: hamstring dominant, tris (a few sets of bis here if you feel you need 'em?)
    Sunday: off

Personally, I like two days between RDLs and rack pulls, but it's not a religion.

Wannabebig Member
    I was directed to this routine from a friend of mine... I will be starting it tomorrow... I am really siked... Of course I need to do a run through later today to check out what weights I should start with... I have no clue with the rack pulls...

Thanks for posting and putting this into a sticky...

Juls

is the deadlifts with the bar shaped like this: -[ ]- the same as the straight bar daedlifts for back developement?
    22 - 5'11'' - 190 lb
    PR's - Squat 350 | Bench 290 | Deadlift 400.4 | BW 203
    P Clean 98 KG | Jerk 106 | Full Clean 106 |
    Philippians 4:13 - "I can do anything through Christ who strengthens me."
    "I'm really impressed with your dedication. I will call it your jedication." - killxswitch
    J O U R N A L !
    TJW

Quote Originally Posted by jed
    is the deadlifts with the bar shaped like this: -[ ]- the same as the straight bar daedlifts for back developement?
    what you are talking about is a trap bar. i would think that a barbell would be better for back development but i'm not 100%.
    6'1 - 195
    Crossfit Total: Press: 135 - Squat: 315 - Deadlift: 365
    Competition Lifts: Clean: 205 - Bench: 205

ah there we go built, its called a trap bar. thanks capn
    22 - 5'11'' - 190 lb
    "I'm really impressed with your dedication. I will call it your jedication." - killxswitch
    J O U R N A L !
    TJW

Quote Originally Posted by Working2bebuff
    I was directed to this routine from a friend of mine... I will be starting it tomorrow... I am really siked... Of course I need to do a run through later today to check out what weights I should start with... I have no clue with the rack pulls...

Thanks for posting and putting this into a sticky...

Juls
    Juls, did you read the article: http://builtblog.wikidbody.com/2007/...aby-got-back/? There's a suggested workout, so you don't have to come up with your own.

Jed - that one looks interesting! We don't have one at our gym, but try it and let me know where you feel it.

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Built
    Juls, did you read the article: http://www.wannabebig.com/article.php?articleid=255? There's a suggested workout, so you don't have to come up with your own.
    Yep I am using that workout... LOL... I can't for the life of me do a chin up so I am doing lat pulldowns and not sure about the high hammer rows... I workout at home and have a great home gym... I was thinking of somehow utilizing my butterfly arm attachment but not sure if that would work... Just tried to mimick it while sitting here and don't think it would work... What would be a good sub?

I am really pumped about this... I also don't have a seated calf raise thing so I am doing calf presses on my leg press one day and standing calf raises on the other day... that is okay?

Thanks!

Go to www.exrx.net and look up lat exercises to sub here: http://www.exrx.net/Lists/ExList/Bac...l#anchor125439

I like these:

http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/...BPullover.html

http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/...pPulldown.html

You can also look at "jump chins" - jump up any way you can, lower to a count of 3-5. I do these as fake assisted chins, and they work great because the negatives are unassisted. Look UP, arch your back.

The calf work sounds fine. Some calf suggestions here: http://www.exrx.net/Lists/ExList/CalfWt.html

22 - 5'11'' - 190 lb
    J O U R N A L !
    TJW