Thread: Arms that don't seem to grow

Arms that don't seem to grow

Has anyone ever gone a year with no improvement in the size of his/her arms?

In '05 I saw strength gains in my bench, squat, deadlift, chins and rows. In addition, the big muscles groups got larger - chest, back and legs. I was pleased until I started thinking about my arms.

Almost exactly a year ago I measured them at 15", today they remain 15". I looked back in my journal to check the poundages I was using a year ago and they have barely increased.

Before I go on I must say that I don't care about my arms all that much, or at least not nearly as much as my chest, back and legs. But this lack of improvement has got me a little concerned.

For most of 05' I used a upper/lower split that focused heavily on big compound movements. I would do a push, a pull, something for shoulders, then 2 sets of direct tricep work and 2 sets of direct bicep work. I never did as much arm work as I had in the first few months of training, when I had little experience or knowledge.

I subscribed to the school of though that if you worked the big movements hard, the smaller muscles would improve without much direct work. But honestly, I haven't seen increases in bench lead to big triceps or increases in the ability to chin lead to bigger biceps.

Should I begin to spend more time and sets on these stubborn muscles? Is the answer more weight or more sets/reps? Or is the answer give it more time, arms grow slowly?
    That's a picture of Scarlett Johansson.

wheels make the arm strong
    hmm ok if your really concerned about them :

(dont kill me or flame me regulars )
    ISOLATE them

as heavy as you can handle low reps high sets
    preacher curls
    hammer curls
    resistance curls (machine )

IMO bench does increase bicep size and poundage

went from curling 30 pounds to 145 in 6 months
    using compound movements and iso work before i learned iso was evil

i actualy didnt see my arms grow much in size untill i started going heavy on my back work. do you do dumbell and Tbar rows?
    6'6" 235
    Follow me on Twitter!
    My Artist page
    Creatine is Overrated Social Group
    supplements are used to supplement!!
    "why do i train so hard? so i can play harder!"
    -kobe bryant

i did also use t bars and dumbells forgot that 1

Your arms are about the right size for your height and numbers, provided that you're fairly lean..

5/3/1 Journal

http://http://www.wannabebig.com/for...83#post1766083

Have your other muscle groups grown alot more or something?
    Squat...Eat...Sleep...Grow...Repeat

Quote Originally Posted by wheels
    (dont kill me or flame me regulars )
    ISOLATE them
    I totally agree compound isn't always the best route for everyone. I do a lot of isolation exercises and I have seen larger gains than a lot of friends doing only compound lifts. I don't just do isolations though I encorporate compound to but a little iso isn't a bad thing. IMO
    ________

Bulking
    Weight- 175
    Goal for after Bulking 190

Also, my biceps seem to not grow very much either.

I stopped doing curls for a while and relied only on pulling movements to build my biceps. They don't look like they've gotten any bigger at all, but today when i tried to curl dumbells, i curled 60's quite easily with decent form, before i was doing 45 maybe 50.

isnt curling 60 quite impressive? but my guns dont seem any better than people who curl 40 lbs

Gain 10 pds and then measure again. .5 to 1inch increase..works most everytime. If not try 15 pds.
    Remember, to get big, you have to get strong. The two are interconnected. Lift heavy, work hard, and size will come. Like night follows day. It works. Arnold
    Do work son. Big Black (Rob and Big)

Quote Originally Posted by bill
    Gain 10 pds and then measure again. .5 to 1inch increase..works most everytime. If not try 15 pds.
    Agreed, you've gotta get big to have big arms man!
    Full Powerlifting
    Squat - 595lbs -- 270kg -- Dec. 31, '09 (Provincial Record @100kg class)
    Bench - 374lbs -- 170kg -- Dec 20, '08 (@100kg class)
    Dead - 589lbs -- 267.5kg -- Dec 20, '08 (Provincial Record @100kg class)
    Total: 1537lbs -- 697.5kg -- Dec 20, '08 (Provincial Record @ 100kg class)
    Bench Only -- 358lbs -- 162.5kg -- Nov. 25, '07 (Provincial Record @ 90kg class)
    Bench Only -- 376lbs -- 171kg -- Jan. 26, '08 (Provincial Record @ 100kg class)

Quote Originally Posted by xMeat_Headx
    Have your other muscle groups grown alot more or something?
    Basically yes, the major ones have noticeably improved and the arms haven't. I used to think my arms were a strong point, but maybe then will require some extra attention to grow. I'm thinking of doing 3 sets each for tris/bis once I am done cutting.
    That's a picture of Scarlett Johansson.

Senior Member Canadian Crippler's Avatar
    Unfortunately sometimes some isolation is needed to spurt some growth in these muscle groups. Don't be afraid to curl man.
    "I added some db curls with the pink weights for a bit of a burn." - Rookiebldr

"im assuming the holy (big) 3 are: curls, bench, legs?" - Saggas

"had a huge ass burn on my triceps while I was doing those kickbacks, so they'll likely be staying with my exercise program." - Zearoth

"most of my burned calories coming from something called Basal. Wtf does a leaf have to do with any of it?" - Votorx

"We have a lot of people like that on our campus, all hippies and things, that go around preaching against corporations, jocks, preps, accountants, and anyone else that feels the need to shower more than occasionally." - Shankerr

"Damn man why are some women just so demonic and evil.. its like you wanna get a stake and mallet and an erection at the same time." - WBBIRL

Quote Originally Posted by deeder
    Agreed, you've gotta get big to have big arms man!
    hehe there are certian curcymstance were this isnt true .... i wieght close to 120 and i have huge arms tiny body .. most of my mass is in my upperbody though

this is why
    http://phc-online.com/images/A4_Ti.jpg
    Last edited by wheels; 02-02-2006 at 01:30 AM.

Wannabebig Member
    One routine I tried and it worked for my Bis. But don't use it to long, maybe 4-6 weeks. It was a Larry Scott routine..Preachers!!!
    Tri-set
    d-bell curl
    B-bell curl
    Reverse EZ bar curl
    3 Sets of 8-10 reps. All on the preacher bench.
    But remember the majority of the size on the arms come from the Triceps..
    Last edited by pjfan; 02-02-2006 at 01:29 AM.

what direct exercises did you do for your arms? Stick to the basics, bb curls and close grip.

I just started throwing in some direct arm work because I felt my arms were lagging as well. Actually, I'm doing WBB1 but I have to cut back a little bit of the arm work because I still think it's excessive.
    quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur

All we do for biceps is preacher curls and bb curls. You dont really need much more! Do all the big compounds and some isolation. You cant expect that you will see ' as big' of gains on a compound because, well, its a COMPOUND! It works a number of different muscle groups at the same time. While those friends may not have as big of ARMS they will have a bigger general physique (barring genetics or any other holds) then someone who just does isolated movements because they work them all alot more.

A mix is your best bet... Dont be afraid to curl just dont do it too much either, your arms are a tiny muscle group compared to your legs or your back.... Dont focus on them too much!
    Stats:
    Height: 5' 5.5"
    Weight: 180 lbs
    Max lifts: Squat:320 lbs, Bench: 195 lbs, Deadlift: 290 lbs.
    Max Comp. Total: 805 lbs

Picture Links
    Most Recent Pix, August 2006, Febuary 2006, Starting Pictures (2005)
    MY JOURNAL

Quote Originally Posted by Ruffian
    A mix is your best bet... Dont be afraid to curl just dont do it too much either, your arms are a tiny muscle group compared to your legs or your back.... Dont focus on them too much!
    focusing will create a major muscle inbalance and that cause your upperbody to put way too much on your lowerback
    fell off the body building wagon trying to get back on