The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Wannabebig New Member

How can I better my routine? overtraining?

Hi I just registered to be a member for wbb. I have been reading a lot these past couple of months on routines/diets/supplements but I still feel I could use some help on my routine.

I'm 19 years old, 6'5 195.

I'm playing basketball right now so I try to keep away from lifting legs. I really want to keep them fresh so I like to stick with upperbody.

I Lift 3 times a week. I would lift more but I don't want to overtrain muscles going back to back days.

-This is my routine I usually do when I go to the gym.. 3 sets each
    -barbell bench
    -db incline
    -db press
    -seated row
    -machine fly's
    -barbell curl
    -skull crushers
    -back extensions
    -abs

Taking
    -No explode
    -On 100% why protein 3 shakes daily. 2scoops a shake.

When I go I usually like to get most my upper body done in 1 session. Once bball is over I will get back into the routine of doing squats/cleans/leg curl/extensions etc. and working on the legs.

Basically when I go really like to work arms and chest the most. I'm looking for help on my routine. I think this is an ok routine. I think I could break it up into a chest/back arms/shoulder. I can find time in all 7 days of the week to workout. I really have a desire to work hard to better my body. I am trying to bulk right now but it has been pretty hard for me to put on weight. I'm trying to overeat to compensate the running.

Any help/ideas on a routine or splitting up my routine, adding more lifts would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Quote Originally Posted by SD619
    Hi I just registered to be a member for wbb. I have been reading a lot these past couple of months on routines/diets/supplements but I still feel I could use some help on my routine.

I'm 19 years old, 6'5 195.

I'm playing basketball right now so I try to keep away from lifting legs. I really want to keep them fresh so I like to stick with upperbody.

I Lift 3 times a week. I would lift more but I don't want to overtrain muscles going back to back days.

-This is my routine I usually do when I go to the gym.. 3 sets each
    -barbell bench
    -db incline
    -db press
    -seated row
    -machine fly's
    -barbell curl
    -skull crushers
    -back extensions
    -abs

Taking
    -No explode
    -On 100% why protein 3 shakes daily. 2scoops a shake.

When I go I usually like to get most my upper body done in 1 session. Once bball is over I will get back into the routine of doing squats/cleans/leg curl/extensions etc. and working on the legs.

Basically when I go really like to work arms and chest the most. I'm looking for help on my routine. I think this is an ok routine. I think I could break it up into a chest/back arms/shoulder. I can find time in all 7 days of the week to workout. I really have a desire to work hard to better my body. I am trying to bulk right now but it has been pretty hard for me to put on weight. I'm trying to overeat to compensate the running.

Any help/ideas on a routine or splitting up my routine, adding more lifts would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
    I play waterpolo, should I stop weightlifting as it requires my whole body to be "fresh"?

NO!!!!

Do leg weights... It's not an option.

You don't need to workout 7 days a week... Infact, DON'T workout 7 days a week.

Look into These routines
    Full Powerlifting
    Squat - 595lbs -- 270kg -- Dec. 31, '09 (Provincial Record @100kg class)
    Bench - 374lbs -- 170kg -- Dec 20, '08 (@100kg class)
    Dead - 589lbs -- 267.5kg -- Dec 20, '08 (Provincial Record @100kg class)
    Total: 1537lbs -- 697.5kg -- Dec 20, '08 (Provincial Record @ 100kg class)
    Bench Only -- 358lbs -- 162.5kg -- Nov. 25, '07 (Provincial Record @ 90kg class)
    Bench Only -- 376lbs -- 171kg -- Jan. 26, '08 (Provincial Record @ 100kg class)

Wannabebig New Member
    Thanks for the reply!

I've never played waterpolo before but from a basketball standpoint, having the legs being "fresh" is very important. Having started to lift the upper body has been difficult to get the shot to go back in. I am sure if I fatigued my legs before practice shooting would be even more difficult. Add weights and being a little fatigued would make it near impossible I think. I asked my football coach if I should lift the legs and he said that i shouldn't because "they would tighten up."

With all that said, I'm going to give it a shot! Gonna go work the legs tomorrow after practice and come back and see how they feel for the next day. I will let you know how it goes.

Wannabebig New Member
    4 days practice 2 days game. MT Th F (Practice) W Sat Games

You shouldn't be lifting hard before basketball practices... Try to do it in the AM (assuming you have PM practices), or after practice.
    A child does not learn to squat from the top down. In other words, he does not suddenly make a conscious decision one day to squat. Actually, he is squatting one day and make the conscious decision to stand. Squatting precedes standing in the developmental sequence. This is the way a child's brain learns to use the body as the child develops movement patterns. Therefore, a child is probably crawling, rocks back into a squatting position with the back completely relaxed and the hips completely flexed, and stands when he has enough hip strength. This approach makes a lot of sense and can be applied to relearning the deep squat movement if it is lost. -Gray Cook
    Lifting Clips: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=johnnymnemonic2
    Blog: http://squatrx.blogspot.com/

Wannabebig New Member
    Ok I will try to lift my legs after practice and see how they feel the following day. Thanks for the reply sensei!

I don't understand why people think they shouldn't lift legs before they play a sport. I'd say practicing while your legs are tired is the best thing you could do for yourself!

Think about tournaments! I don't know how it works for bball but for waterpolo we play up to 5 games in 2 days. It doesn't matter how good of shape you are in by the end your tired. If you've never trained tired, your performance is going to suffer.

The kids in my club that are travelling practice 5 days a week. Monday and Wednesday they have dryland right after school (weight training with a sports trainer), swim practice from 8-9:30 and a scrimmage from 9:30-10:30. Tuesday and Thursday they have 2 hour swim practices. Sunday morning they swim from 9 - 11 and then scrimmage from 11-12.

All of the scrimmaging time is planned so they are pre-fatigued!
    Full Powerlifting
    Squat - 595lbs -- 270kg -- Dec. 31, '09 (Provincial Record @100kg class)
    Bench - 374lbs -- 170kg -- Dec 20, '08 (@100kg class)
    Dead - 589lbs -- 267.5kg -- Dec 20, '08 (Provincial Record @100kg class)
    Total: 1537lbs -- 697.5kg -- Dec 20, '08 (Provincial Record @ 100kg class)
    Bench Only -- 358lbs -- 162.5kg -- Nov. 25, '07 (Provincial Record @ 90kg class)
    Bench Only -- 376lbs -- 171kg -- Jan. 26, '08 (Provincial Record @ 100kg class)