Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Assault on the Samaeil train (LONG rant)

Bodybuilding Mythbuster

Assault on the Samaeil train (LONG rant)

So I'm walking to the Samaeil train last night when I was accosted by this fellow (about 50 or so) who strikes up this conversation (in broken English) with me. Here's the gist of it:

Him: (excitedly) "Hello, Hello? I know your face.

Me: (turning around) "Hello?"

Him: "I know your face. You Yangpyeong." (the town where I work)

Me: (realizing I'd never seen this person before) "Yes?"

Him: "I'm Yangpyeong too. I'm bus driver for music academy."

Me: (edging away towards the train) "I'm sure that's nice for you. Now if you'll excuse me..." (boards the train and finds a seat)

Him: (Sitting down next to me) "What you do?"

Me: (Giving up hope of a quiet ride) "I'm a teacher" (vague enough to be on the safe side)

Him: "Great" (makes an attempt to hold my hand)

I should note here that in South Korea holding hands and such-like behaviour of affection between members of the same sex is considered perfectly acceptable. In fact more so than open displays of affection between people of different genders. It is NOT considered a sexual thing in any way. However I am not Korean and vastly prefer a more North American approach to such things.

Me: (sticking hands in pockets) "Don't do that please."

Him: "You handsome man." (begins to grope my thigh)

Again I should note that this is also considered acceptable between friends of the same gender and has no sexual meaning...but again that's a cultural barrier I absolutely refuse to cross.

Me: (knocking his hand away. "Hey now!"

Him: (groping my upper leg again) "Wey-yo? (why?)

Me: (knocks hand away again) "Ha-Ja-Ma!" (Stop that!)

Him: (renewing efforts) "Friend, friend!"

Me: (grabbing his fingers and bending them) "Stop! Do you want broken fingers?"

He leaned back in his seat and sulked. I thought it was over and relaxed. Suddenly he threw his arm around my neck, yanked my head downwards and planted a big juicy one right on my eyebrow.
    I pushed him savagely away. "Ha-Ja-Ma! Byeongata, naga." (Stop that you pervert, get lost)
    I got up and walked into the next car. To my infinite relief he did not follow.

To those on WWB who are wondering why I didn't go ape**** on the guy it is because of South Korea's laws. The party that sustains the least damage in a fight REGARDLESS of the circumstances is responsible for all bills and legal expenses. As a guest worker I would have likely been deported as well and lost my home and job. He just wasn't worth it.

What would you have done?
    Last edited by Songsangnim; 02-03-2006 at 03:27 AM.

MulletII - AKA Ninja Boner Gyno Rhino's Avatar
    You handled that very well.

Worst thing you coulda done would've been to assault the guy - don't wanna be in foreign prison.

But the big question - why didn't you take him up on his offer?
    Founding Member and CEO of the FFFA

"All that matters is beauty on the inside! Outside beauty doesn't matter!"
    ~This is something ugly people say to feel better about themselves...

"Strength and size don't matter! It's not fair to judge training knowledge based on strength and size!"
    ~This is something wussy people say to feel better about themselves...

Pearls of Wisdom...

Resident Ninja Demon (with a pet Radioactive Sloth) and SchlonkeyMaster of WBB!

Rock is my 'Big Viking Brother', and not in a homo-esque way.

And no COLON jokes, bastards!

Oh man, that is so awesome. It's not like everyday you get groped by a horny korean dude on the train.

I think you handled it pretty well.

weird that you tell that story

my brother is a regional sales rep for a large american company

his region being south korea, japan, & all the american protectorates/territories

he's been over there for probably 5 years and in that time has been involved in several fights in s. korea

he really despises korea, he says in general the citizens are very rough and intrusive

the last fight he told me about was him in a bar and a korean guy came and sat on his barstool and proceeded to push him off his stool with no qualms

another was him at the airport on the pay phone and a korean man waiting repeatedly kept hanging up my brother's call for him until they were trading blows

your dsicretion was most likely the best course

cultural differences can be weird
    the fear of losing removes the desire to win

personally i think you were rude. or rather could be considered very rude, in context of the situation.

when in rome do as the romans do, and all that.

i mean it's not like he's threatening your masculinity or something. you alreayd know the cultural stuff.
    A little learning is a dangerous thing...

Live Dangerously! Learn a Little!

Dude, did Doogie Howser just steal my fucking car?

But he WASN'T his friend. He was just a guy on the train.

The right to not have your body touched in a way that makes you uncomfortable or offends you should transcend all cultural barriers.
    The Reconstruction Project (Journal)

Age: 34, Height: 5'4, Weight: 185, BF: somewhere between 15 and 45%

Weightlifting Start Date: July 26, 2005 - Bench 95 x 6, Dead 110 x 8, Smith Squat 180 x 8
    Bests: Bench 185 x 8, Dead 400 x 1, Zercher Squat 295 x 3

Stop thinking and go lift - Paul Stagg

Quote Originally Posted by Tryska
    In this situation, i'd say it crosses the line beyond that.
    I'm not moaning, i'm having an opinion.

context
    Pffft. Relativist!

The journal / I live here.

If I were to start from scratch as a young 13 year old again, I would do every press, squat, and perhaps deadlifts, for my entire career with chains. -- Dan John

I think your amazing. Your in a foregin country working and speaking the language and everything....Im very impressed to say the least. Man Ive got to do something with my life.

I dont know how you were rude, the guy was a stranger and all...I mean a person has a right to maintain their sovereignty wether in Rome or even Canada <shudder>

General of Froot Soldiers TwiloMike's Avatar
    Ewww. I'm very American in that regard. I don't know if I'd have handled it as well as you.
    Homer Simpson - "The code of the schoolyard, Marge! The rules that teach a boy to be a man. Let's see. Don't tattle. Always make fun of those different from you. Never say anything, unless you're sure everyone feels exactly the same way you do."
    www.dictionary.com (for all your spell-checking needs)
    My picture thread- http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=78235
    My journal- http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=77712
    Viking Warlord- "You can't motorboat a personality".
    Built- "See, truly artful copy-paste isn't random. You need to know WHAT to copy before you go pasting..."

*lol*@nash.

as for the rest of you westerner types - even the concept of stranger is culturally relative.

to the korean guy old boy wasn't a stranger.

also - i'm not sure why y'all are wigging out - i've gotten touched by people here in the states like that and i'm not bothered enough to either want to beat them up, or feel the need to post about it as an odd occurence.

even had soem random woman kiss me on the lips after interrogating me in a restaurant ones. she didn't try to slip me any tongue or anything. but she was drunk.

stuff happens. people are strange, when you're a stranger.
    Last edited by Tryska; 02-03-2006 at 07:36 AM.

personally i think you were rude. or rather could be considered very rude, in context of the situation.

i mean it's not like he's threatening your masculinity or something. you alreayd know the cultural stuff.
    Right. Because it's rude to reject unwelcome advances from strange men on trains. As was stated above- this man was not a close friend (for whom this form of contact would be culturally acceptable) and I believe his persistence and the kiss pretty solidly show that his intentions were not exclusively "friendly".

EA I think you handled that remarkably well.
    530S/320B/475D
    With strength I burn

also - i'm not sure why y'all are wigging out - i've gotten touched by people here in the states like that and i'm not bothered enough to either want to beat them up, or feel the need to post about it as an odd occurence.

even had soem random woman kiss me on the lips after interrogating me in a restaurant ones. she didn't try to slip me any tongue or anything. but she was drunk.

stuff happens. people are strange, when you're a stranger.
    By all means continue to let strange folk grope you at will.. whatever floats your boat...

Personally i'd rather not be prodded at by some unknown....
    I'm not moaning, i'm having an opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by DenimDemon
    Right. Because it's rude to reject unwelcome advances from strange men on trains. As was stated above- this man was not a close friend (for whom this form of contact would be culturally acceptable) and I believe his persistence and the kiss pretty solidly show that his intentions were not exclusively "friendly".

EA I think you handled that remarkably well.

he already stated this form of contact was socially acceptable in Korea.

also, understand that in most other countries boundaries aren't quite as far apart and rigid as they are here in the states.

Quote Originally Posted by J450n83
    By all means continue to let strange folk grope you at will.. whatever floats your boat...

Personally i'd rather not be prodded at by some unknown....

groping is a different matter.

y'all act like you've never been around italians or latin folks in your lives.

understand that in most other countries boundaries aren't quite as far apart and rigid as they are here in the states. -Tryska
    My friends sister has a son with down syndrome and he really likes to hug people. Ill PM you his phone number.

sure. ******ed kids and i get along great.

General of Froot Soldiers TwiloMike's Avatar
    groping is a different matter.

y'all act like you've never been around italians or latin folks in your lives.
    Ummm I've been around plenty and while Latins are very open (Italians are damn conservative, IME) their men don't grope other men unless, you know...
    Homer Simpson - "The code of the schoolyard, Marge! The rules that teach a boy to be a man. Let's see. Don't tattle. Always make fun of those different from you. Never say anything, unless you're sure everyone feels exactly the same way you do."
    www.dictionary.com (for all your spell-checking needs)
    My picture thread- http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=78235
    My journal- http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=77712
    Viking Warlord- "You can't motorboat a personality".
    Built- "See, truly artful copy-paste isn't random. You need to know WHAT to copy before you go pasting..."

Yesterday, Gary the Pit Preacher told me that groping leads to bestiality and ass rape.

The journal / I live here.

If I were to start from scratch as a young 13 year old again, I would do every press, squat, and perhaps deadlifts, for my entire career with chains. -- Dan John

Quote Originally Posted by MixmasterNash
    Yesterday, Gary the Pit Preacher told me that groping leads to bestiality and ass rape.
    ****, I must be doing something wrong then.
    I'd say that I miss Gary, but I don't. Oh well.
    530S/320B/475D
    With strength I burn

Yo, EA, are you ethnically Asian? Two comments:

(1) If you're ethnically Asian -- and I think you are, but I might be remembering wrong -- then the guy's intentions are probably more docile than some of you might think. I mean, if you look like Bubba from Plano, then the guy should have known better, just as I should know better than to try to shake the Sheik's hand and offer him a fried pork sandwich.

(2) Even if (1) is true, I think you handled it very well. I mean, putting your hands in your pockets and telling him "dont do that" is pretty goddamn universal.
    Don't hate the player. Hate the game.

even dubya knew enough to hold hands and play kissyface with the Saudi leader, and he is supposed to be a bubba from texas.

You did the right thing, but you relaxed to much, get out of there at once, dont sit there and wait for him to ease up, the man is crazy and desperate for manmeat.

And a "brawl" is seldom taken seriously by the Police, they are up to their noses in other more serious issues.
    A big thanks to all my friends in the USA, I am deeply grateful for your hospitality and kindness.

Everybody wants to kiss American men, thats whats going on....well except media types, and hotties in Atlanta.

even dubya knew enough to hold hands and play kissyface with the Saudi leader, and he is supposed to be a bubba from texas.
    What's this supposed to mean?
    Don't hate the player. Hate the game.