Thread: 20 rep routines, Hype or Gold?

hmm, I like to be big!!!

20 rep routines, Hype or Gold?

Hey guys I was recently doing some research on 20 rep workout routines. My plan was to do the two olympic lifts and the three powerlifting lifts 4X20's every week. This is based off the anecdotal evidence that the 20 rep routines when used sparingly can provide huge bursts in strength and power. I rarely if ever like to go by anecdotal evidence, but I've yet to see one person claim that 20 rep routines are ineffective and I've been looking. This would also give me a big advantage because then all of the lifts I do would incorporate my whole body.

Anyone use 20 rep routines effectively? Would it boost my muscular endurance significantly effectively if I added them?
    Last edited by nejar462; 02-03-2006 at 11:02 AM.
    Chris Mason is my master.....

American cars are like fat people, sure, they have a lot of power, but they're not built well, and they have all that useless weight, plus they make both make funny noises.

feel free to aim me, nejar462 im on a lot. Don't know much to warn you dudes, but im good at conversations.

Belial in reference to Ronnie Coleman, "Some people say he still has blood in his steroid stream, but I doubt it. Gas isn't one of the side effects, but that massive bloated overly muscular freak of nature circus sideshow appearance might be what tips most people off."

I've used them with squats. I don't know if I'd do them with anything else though.
    A child does not learn to squat from the top down. In other words, he does not suddenly make a conscious decision one day to squat. Actually, he is squatting one day and make the conscious decision to stand. Squatting precedes standing in the developmental sequence. This is the way a child's brain learns to use the body as the child develops movement patterns. Therefore, a child is probably crawling, rocks back into a squatting position with the back completely relaxed and the hips completely flexed, and stands when he has enough hip strength. This approach makes a lot of sense and can be applied to relearning the deep squat movement if it is lost. -Gray Cook
    Lifting Clips: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=johnnymnemonic2
    Blog: http://squatrx.blogspot.com/

Iced Earth - Stormrider ArchAngel777's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by nejar462
    Hey guys I was recently doing some research on 20 rep workout routines. My plan was to do the two olympic lifts and the three powerlifting lifts 4X20's every week. This is based off the anecdotal evidence that the 20 rep routines when used sparingly can provide huge bursts in strength and power. I rarely if ever like to go by anecdotal evidence, but I've yet to see one person claim that 20 rep routines are ineffective and I've been looking. This would also give me a big advantage because then all of the lifts I do would incorporate my whole body.

Anyone use 20 rep routines effectively? Would it boost my muscular endurance significantly effectively if I added them?
    If you can Clean + Jerk 20 reps in a set with any amount of weight, besides the bar, you are an amazing person and I would want to shake your hand.

But I personally would not be using 4 X 20 for strength gains... I have a different way of training, I train Triples, Doubles and Singles for the most part. Rarely will I go more reps than 3 and any given set. Though I will confess that my endurance isn't on part with most here. I train heavy and heavy all the time and my body seems to respond well to that. In any case, doing 20 reps of anything more than 60% maximum weight is incredable endurance.

Quote Originally Posted by ArchAngel777
    If you can Clean + Jerk 20 reps in a set with any amount of weight, besides the bar, you are an amazing person and I would want to shake your hand.
    Agreed. I can't even imagine performing 80 snatches or cleans in a workout. Stick to more reasonable reps in the classic lifts.

Quote Originally Posted by khari
    Agreed. I can't even imagine performing 80 snatches or cleans in a workout. Stick to more reasonable reps in the classic lifts.
    The most I tried was 10 cleans (no jerks) @ 70% of my maximum weight and I nearly passed out on the ground when I was done. I strumbled over to a bench and took a short nap while doing all I could to catch my breath.

Wannabebig Member
    If you want to try a 20 rep routine, try the one by Strossen laid out in Super Squats. You may want to buy the book, as it seems you're missing out on the point of the 20 reps. With 4x20, the weight is going to have to be so light as to be useless for the first 3 sets.

Thanks.

hmm, I like to be big!!!
    Should I just use 2X20's with assistance exercises? My plan was to use the big 5 with 4X20's as my only exercises, I thought it would be better to avoid assistance exercises.

I made up this routine I just don't see why people would get such big gains off 20 rep squats and say not get any good gains with 20 rep bench press or snatches? Also I've mainly focused on lower rep work my whole life so figure something new might get me some big names.

American cars are like fat people, sure, they have a lot of power, but they're not built well, and they have all that useless weight, plus they make both make funny noises.

feel free to aim me, nejar462 im on a lot. Don't know much to warn you dudes, but im good at conversations.

Belial in reference to Ronnie Coleman, "Some people say he still has blood in his steroid stream, but I doubt it. Gas isn't one of the side effects, but that massive bloated overly muscular freak of nature circus sideshow appearance might be what tips most people off."

the only lifts i would do a set of 20 reps are the bigger compound lifts.. bench, bb row, squat and dl.. would be cool to see how much mass that put on.. considering 20 reps of squats is supposed to slap mass on you like butter on a piece of toast
    I don't have time. I make time.

I wasn't reading carefully enough and didn't realize that you were planning on doing FOUR SETS of 20... Good luck with that!!

How about just starting w. a warm-up and one gut-bustingly hard set of 20 and see how that goes?
    A child does not learn to squat from the top down. In other words, he does not suddenly make a conscious decision one day to squat. Actually, he is squatting one day and make the conscious decision to stand. Squatting precedes standing in the developmental sequence. This is the way a child's brain learns to use the body as the child develops movement patterns. Therefore, a child is probably crawling, rocks back into a squatting position with the back completely relaxed and the hips completely flexed, and stands when he has enough hip strength. This approach makes a lot of sense and can be applied to relearning the deep squat movement if it is lost. -Gray Cook
    Lifting Clips: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=johnnymnemonic2
    Blog: http://squatrx.blogspot.com/

hmm, I like to be big!!!
    My big problem is I really hate those small muscle exercises that only work like 1-2 groups, so I'm trying to avoid them as effectively as possible without compromisign my workout.

Quote Originally Posted by khari
    I did 75 cleans with 135lbs the other day. It sucked.
    Facebook - BW166 SQ585 BP405 DL660 CL310

20 rep sets are fine ... once in awhile. I wouldn't use it as my sole method of training.

3:16
    Quote Originally Posted by Anthony
    75 reps in a straight row?

sheess thats a lot of volume. i would have vomitted half way through that.lol
    my exprience - joined gym 10 years ago, 6 1/2 years hard weight training exprience.

Quote Originally Posted by body
    75 reps in a straight row?
    I wish, lol! It was ...

15 cleans, 135lbs
    30 pushups
    5 rounds for time

I think my first round was unbroken (15 straight reps), but after that I had grip issues with my left hand and they were broken quite a bit.

I wish, lol! It was ...

15 cleans, 135lbs
    30 pushups
    5 rounds for time

I think my first round was unbroken (15 straight reps), but after that I had grip issues with my left hand and they were broken quite a bit.
    Same problem I have when doing high rep cleans... The pain it puts on the forearms towards the last reps is very very intense...

Quote Originally Posted by ArchAngel777
    Same problem I have when doing high rep cleans... The pain it puts on the forearms towards the last reps is very very intense...
    I don't remember my forearm being in pain, but I lost strength in my thumb. So the bar basically hung from my fingers on the left side. I have a nasty bruise on my left thigh from where I continuously "caught" the bar when returning to the hang. I think it's because I've always used a left under / right over grip on deadlifts?

I don't remember my forearm being in pain, but I lost strength in my thumb. So the bar basically hung from my fingers on the left side. I have a nasty bruise on my left thigh from where I continuously "caught" the bar when returning to the hang. I think it's because I've always used a left under / right over grip on deadlifts?
    Simple solution in your case then, you can simply use the hook grip.

What is your max clean? You're in much better shape than I am to do that.