The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Gaining 15lbs. of Muscle

15 Years Old.
    5'11.5"
    148lbs.
    BF% ~ 10%
    Hoping to bulk to 165 solid from now until beginning of August. I'm in wrestling, a very upper-body dominated sport and weight-oriented. I'm moving up a weight class or two in wrestling (From 152 to 171, if you know the sport). I have huge legs for my size, so I'm not worried about them at all. I've read the advice about Squats and Deadlifts and am including them in my work outs. I haven't lifted weights since August of last year, so I'm rusty, but I do have experience in lifting. I'm currently half-way through my Sophomore year of highschool.

I've been on the forums for about a week. I have been on fitday.com for 2 whole days and am revamping my diet currently. I have WAY too much fat in it.

It's saying I have 50% carbs, 22% Protein and 28% fat.

I'm eating, guessing, around 2200 calories a day, hoping to bump it up to 2800 soon.

My workout Routine is planned as such:
    Monday: Rowing Machine/Back+Shoulders/Biceps/Forearms
    Tuesday: Rest
    Wednesday: Bicycle/Legs/Core
    Thursday: Rest
    Friday: Cardio/Chest/Triceps/Forearms
    Saturday: Rest
    Sunday: Rest

I haven't actually been able to do this for even a solid week yet, but I have a plan. Since I haven't even done this a whole week yet, I'm still unsure about some weights and my form on squats and deads is a little sloppy so I'm working with low weights to build up correct form.

Core:
    Weighted Crunches 4x10, 25
    Back-raises 1x10, 10
    Pull-throughs 2x20, 20/30??
    Standing Sit-ups with Tricep Pull-down, 2x15, 30/40??
    Hanging Leg-Lifts 2x20

Cardio:
    15 minute run, at least 7 mph.

Chest:
    Flat Bench Press, 2x6, 115
    30 degree Incline Dumbell Press 2x8, 25s??
    Nautilus Pec Fly, 2x8, 110

Triceps:
    Tricep Pull-downs, 2x8, 100
    Dips 2x8, 1xFail

Forearms:
    Farmer's Walks 3x30sec, 40
    Dumbbell Hold 1x10sec, 12

Legs:
    Squats 3x6, Smith Machine, 155 (focusing on form)
    Free-Motion Squat Machine 2x8, 200
    Leg Press 2x8, 220
    Lunges 2x8, 30 dumb
    Leg Curls 2x8, 170
    Calve Raises 1x50

Back And Shoulders:
    Deadlifts 3x5, 135?
    Lat Pull-down 2x8, 120
    Low Row 3x8, 100
    Lawn-Mowers 2x8, 40 dumbs
    Shrug-And-Hold 2x8, 40 dumbs
    Upright Rows 2x6, 95?/Smith
    Military Press 2x8, 30dumbs
    Chin-ups 2x6, 1xFail

Biceps:
    Bicep Curls 2x8, 30dumbs

Rowing Machine:
    10 minutes at 2min/500yrds

And there it is.
    Last edited by Sisay; 02-03-2006 at 04:50 PM.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

mmm... discipline
    Quote Originally Posted by Sisay
    It's saying I have 50% carbs, 22% Protein and 28% fat.
    I think that's just fine. Make sure some of it is healthy fat, and also that you are getting at least 1 gram of protein per pound of bodyweight. I also think you might need more calories. Your routine and knowledge are already great, though I would suggest bumping off some of the lifts in your routine, especially if you get tired out. I imagine wrestling comes first, right?

Welcome. Awesome plan.

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan936
    I think that's just fine. Make sure some of it is healthy fat, and also that you are getting at least 1 gram of protein per pound of bodyweight. I also think you might need more calories. Your routine and knowledge are already great, though I would suggest bumping off some of the lifts in your routine, especially if you get tired out. I imagine wrestling comes first, right?

Welcome. Awesome plan.
    Thanks. Our wrestling season just ended, so I'm devoting the entire off-season to weight-training.

I heard from a nutritionist that you should have 1g of protein per pound of the bodyweight that you're aiming to be. So, I'm going to try 165g of protein per day.

Also, why would you recommend getting rid of a couple lifts? I've heard nothing but good things about lifts from the forum.

mmm... discipline
    Ah, I didn't think the season was over yet.

Some of your workouts have quite a few lifts, not to mention cardio. I personally can't handle that much volume per workout, I'd be exhausted, I wouldn't grow. But hey, if it works for you, keep it up. Start slow, learn your limits. Just stick to it. Good luck.

Well, did chest, tris, forearms and a minor core workout today.

I set up the smith machine because I didn't have a spotter. I did 2x6 of 115lbs. on normal bench. I had to go down to 105 for the last rep on the second set. After that, I hit 2x6 for incline bench, still on the smith machine. I went over to the Nautilus pec-fly and did 2x8 of 110lbs. I did Tricep Push-downs first, realized that the weight was getting high enough that I might as well do dips. I did a set of five dips, but had to stop because the handle on the machine I was using hurt my hands. I did 110 on Tricep Cable Pull-downs, was very impressed with it. I tried using the wrist-roller and didn't get hardly anywhere with it. Switched over to Farmer's Walks with 35lb. dumbells for 2 sets of thirty seconds and then did a grip exercise with 10lb. dumbells, holding them for 30 seconds. I was impressed with the Farmer's Walks.

I did Hanging Leg Lifts, 1 set of 20 (easy) and two sets of twenty on lower back with a 10lb. plate.

I didn't do cardio. My quads are still sore from the squats I did Wednesday. I'll have to remember to do cardio in the future and do bench-dips. Maybe I should do push-ups instead of dips? Greater number, of course.