Thread: Surgery on ACL

Defensive Tackle Goldbergwannabe's Avatar

Surgery on ACL

I just found out the reason my right knee didn't heal and I couldn't play football this last season--this orthopaedic doctor told me I have a torn ACL. Anyway, I'm having surgery on it tomorrow and I'll be in a full leg cast for at least two weeks, and then inactive for maybe a month.
    So we're talking about possibly 2 months or more without any kind of exercise, except upper body lifting.

Anybody got any ideas for what I can do? I've already gotten a lot of extra weight in fat since June for doing hardly anything, and I can't keep eating so much, or my upper body'll go down.

Any suggestions?

Thanks
    "Who's next?!"
    --Bill Goldberg to... well, pretty much everybody

Quote Originally Posted by Goldbergwannabe
    I just found out the reason my right knee didn't heal and I couldn't play football this last season--this orthopaedic doctor told me I have a torn ACL. Anyway, I'm having surgery on it tomorrow and I'll be in a full leg cast for at least two weeks, and then inactive for maybe a month.
    So we're talking about possibly 2 months or more without any kind of exercise, except upper body lifting.

Anybody got any ideas for what I can do? I've already gotten a lot of extra weight in fat since June for doing hardly anything, and I can't keep eating so much, or my upper body'll go down.

Any suggestions?

Thanks
    There are many upper body exercises you can do in that knee immobilizer. I know......I've torn both of mine. That's how I originally got into lifting because I couldn't do anything else with that damn thing on my leg for 2 months.

Find a good physical therapist that knows the sports medicine side of things. They'll be able to show you many routines you can do safely. Best of luck.
    I know you're half-crazy, but I wish you'd go all the way.

"Razorcut, as usual, is 100% correct." --- ectx

"It is those who know little, and not those who know much, who so positively assert that this or that problem will never be solved by science. --- Charles Darwin