Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Allie's Journal

Allie's Journal

Some of you know that all I really do is run. Well I have decided to LEARN about weight training. Since I don't know anything on the subject, I'm taking a class this semester with the varsity weight coach here at MSU. I hope that maybe it will turn into a new hobby. This is either going to be a fun 15 weeks or 15 weeks of hell

So far we have taken a tour of the weight room and have have been assigned a lifting partner. Monday is our first day lifting. And this weekend I plan on making one last trip to the bookstore to pick up our required text, Basic Weight Training for Men and Women.

let me be the first to say good luck! i look forward to seeing ya reach your goals
    "....but this whole sport is based on craziness. Let's face it, you have to be ludicrous to be in this game. You won't make any money; it's the most difficult sport on Earth, I don't care what anybody says. You bust your ass in the gym for a lousy trophy that falls apart by the time you get it home, but it's a sport of love. You do it because you love it."
    -Bob Chicherillo, IFBB pro

awesome!!! I wish you best of luck and I hope you discover something you really love. And running I have loved as well...ah that running high. I couldnt live without it
    "Then on leg day do squats, lunges, stiff legged deadlifts, fluffernutters, and calf raises."--Belial, training a newbie

PowermanDL on Russian culture: "Big furry hats come into play somewhere."

"The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly; it is dearness only that gives everything its value. I love the man that can smile in trouble, that can gather strength from distress and grow brave by reflection. 'Tis the business of little minds to shrink; but he whose heart is firm, and whose conscience approves his conduct, will pursue his principles unto death." --Thomas Paine

Im confused here, you are a member of this site correct? Why cant you LEARN here?
    ...watch me reap of what I sow....

and BOOM goes the dynomite!

LOL Have I ever mentioned that I'm blonde? LOL, Now all joking aside, I think WBB is a great asset to those who know what they are doing. But take a person like myself who has ZERO knowlege on a subject and they need the "Dummies" version. So a class that goes ahead and walks me through a weoght room and tells me what everything is, shows me how to use it, right now thats what I need. I think everyone here will be great moral support and answering my questions (if you don't get too techinical ) But right now since I know NOTHING I need something more one on one and more teching by example.
    Last edited by Allie; 01-11-2002 at 09:56 PM.

Orange, Be kind...Rewind
    "....but this whole sport is based on craziness. Let's face it, you have to be ludicrous to be in this game. You won't make any money; it's the most difficult sport on Earth, I don't care what anybody says. You bust your ass in the gym for a lousy trophy that falls apart by the time you get it home, but it's a sport of love. You do it because you love it."

Originally posted by IGF-1
    Orange, Be kind...Rewind
    Hey i am being nice, and i was serious. GOODLUCK ALLIE!
    ...watch me reap of what I sow....

and BOOM goes the dynomite!

Allie, I told you you could ask anything you needed. I don't get technical unless technical is called for.
    Vin Diesel has a fever.. and the only prescription is more cowbell.

Budiak: That girl I maced
    Budiak: macked
    Budiak: heh maced
    Budiak: I wish

ShmrckPmp5: a good thing people can't fire guns through the computer...your ass would have been shot years ago

Y2A 47: youre smooth as hell
    Y2A 47: thats why you get outta tickets, and into panties

galileo: you're a fucking beast and I hate you
    galileo: hate

assgrabbers are never subtile, they will grabb ass whereever they go,public or not, I know the type, because I am one. - Rock

Way below radar
    Somewhere between cognitive dissonance and the egocentric dilemma
    Yay! You started a journal Keep us posted, Allie...

I could give all to Time except - except
    What I myself have held. But why declare
    The things forbidden that while the Customs slept
    I have crossed to Safety with? For I am There,
    And what I would not part with I have kept.

--Robert Frost

I bet you all thought that I forgot about my journal LOL But heres the deal, my class meets on Monday and Wednesday. And this past week was CRAZY I have 6 classes and a new job, so I haven't been at "home" much (yeah and 11'x12' space is now refered to as home). And this weekend I spent getting books and running errands.

So I went to class today in the snow and cold YUCK And when I go to the fieldhouse our instructor was missing, she is sick and I guess they found a new teacher. So Kelly is teaching us all about weight training, she's a figure skater, which I thought is really cool. Her first direction was to get us as much time in the weight room. I really like how she's motivated.

We go up to the varsity weight room and the volleyball team there. First thing I see is a coach yelling at this girl who is doing leg presses and looks like she is ready to cry, first thing I thought is that theres no crying in weight lifting.

So anyways there are 6 other girls in our class and some how it worked out that all of us learned about legs today. Kelly wanted us to use VERY little weight and just play around and feel comfortable doing everything. So *I think* this is what we did today

Leg presses
    Iso leg presses
    Leg extensions
    Leg curls

OK and when I came back "home" I woke up my roomie and she said that I have to drop the class, appearantly I get a little endorpahan happy LOL

awesome! keep up the good work allie

lol! I always get endorphin-happy. It's a running joke in my family. Isn't it great?

Keep it up, soon you'll be a pro.
    "Then on leg day do squats, lunges, stiff legged deadlifts, fluffernutters, and calf raises."--Belial, training a newbie

"The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly; it is dearness only that gives everything its value. I love the man that can smile in trouble, that can gather strength from distress and grow brave by reflection. 'Tis the business of little minds to shrink; but he whose heart is firm, and whose conscience approves his conduct, will pursue his principles unto death." --Thomas Paine

People who exercise have endorphins...

Endorphins make you happy....

And happy people don't kill other people...

They just don't

Unless killing is what makes them happy.
    Vin Diesel has a fever.. and the only prescription is more cowbell.

Budiak: That girl I maced
    Budiak: macked
    Budiak: heh maced
    Budiak: I wish

ShmrckPmp5: a good thing people can't fire guns through the computer...your ass would have been shot years ago

Y2A 47: youre smooth as hell
    Y2A 47: thats why you get outta tickets, and into panties

galileo: you're a fucking beast and I hate you
    galileo: hate

assgrabbers are never subtile, they will grabb ass whereever they go,public or not, I know the type, because I am one. - Rock

The best way to learn is to actually DO.

Bad news... I woke up at 3 am with my throat swollen again I called the Dr and am going in this afternoon. My guess is it's my wonderful "viral infection" at least thats what they decided it was last time, I might have them do another mono screen just for fun, because right now that my guess.

I just got back from the Dr, he did a strep culture and a mono screen, I get the results back in 24 hours. If they are both negative he is going to diagnosis it as a viral infection unknown

Ok so I got the results back, both the mono and strep screens were negative. Thats always a plus, except now they have no clue whats wrong besides that I have a random viral infection which they have no way of identifying.

I'm so sore today getting out of bed was interesting, but it got better when I tried to get dressed LOL So yesterday we worked our upper body

Inclined press
    Deciled press
    Pulldowns
    And something Kelly had us do for our back, not really sure what it was

As you can tell I really need a picture dictionary of a weight room, I'm getting there though...maybe someday I will know what I'm doing *sigh*

Been feeling kinda Ehhhhh lately, one day I will be allight and feel great and the next day I feel like ****. I've noticed that I really need to keep up my water intake, I've been feeling kinda dehydrated.

SO in the midst of my boredom I decided to see how my running would go, so I did a short little mile today. Took it really slow since it's cold and icy out. It felt good to puch myself for once.

Classes are cancelled tomorrow so I think Jen and I might go lift downstairs or we might go do PT.

I'm all about this cancelling class Anyways today is a rest and catch up day I just now got dressed at 3 pm LOL

I feel kinda down today, so my big sis called and she is going to make me dinner. She is making my fav food.... SPAGHETTI For some reason I love jens spaghetti, wonder if it has anything to do with the bottle of wine we drink while making it?

Anywho tomorrow morning I'm off to see Dr Dumbass, he all of a sudden thinks I might have allergies The man has a PhD and can't decide if I have virus or a sniffle. Oh and yeah and in 2 weeks I have lost 11 pounds, and for some reason I'm not happy about that

I'm now off to do my homework since I've put it off all day LOL

Didn't really do anything today, unless you want to count walking all over campus as cardio, but I don't. I had to cancell with Dr Dumbass to meet with a prof since I missed class last week from being sick. I have felt really good lately except I still am getting killer headaches Not usually a big problem but they make me moody and I feel grumpy. I got really tired today, so I took a quickie two hour nap and it helped with my headache.

aww. being sick sucks. Hope you feel better soon!

I feel really good today

Just got back from lifting...we are on our 3rd new instructor. This one is named Shaun, he has a PhD in something, I missed most of what he said because of his accent. Anyways today was an exciting leg day, did some leg extentions, curls, squats (YUCK) and worked on lower back.

Now about the squats, at the moment I'm not a fan of them. I guess I'm just not comfortable doing them, I told Shaun that I would keep trying them, maybe they will grow on me.

I'm still worried that the 11 pounds I lost the past two weeks is going to come and kick me in the ass, who knows though... I just have to wait and see.

You need to squat, and eat some steak too
    May you be in heaven an hour before the devil knows you're dead.