The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Thread: DeadLifts

DeadLifts

Whats the difference between regular and straight legged deadlifts? and I know one of them you do with your legs straight. But it seems to me that they work out the exact same things. I am doing WBB1 and it has you doing deadlifts 2 times a week.
    I want to be a gladiator on Spartacus. Or at least be on the same cycle as them.

Measurements

Height - 6'
    Weight - 247 lbs
    BF% - 16

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Last edited by getfit; 02-08-2006 at 12:25 PM.
    You will soon see Getfit in OngII Flying Knee Thingys of Doom see if the feisty greek can survive the kicks of Steel Leg From Shaolin Soccer,Dim Mak(def touch) from ChungLee,and Flying Crane by Daniel-san-El Pietro

Spray it with windex greek!-the famous El Pietro

You be quiet or i'll clean and press your narrow francophone self-Callahan

Lift for gains,not glory.Control your ego and the weight

What a strong girl! This leads me to believe you can severly injure most of the male population-Nick Hatfield

You're blazing white hot,anyone ever tell you that? Sometimes i think you have fingers faster then Superman when it comes to posts on WBB forums.
    Hot in terms of both speed and... well new hotness- Stash

gain 50lbs-Anthony

SLDL target hams and gluts. Convetional target just about everything.
    Nick V

I have a quick question of my own on DL form

http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/...BDeadlift.html

I was taught in football years back that you should keep your ass up higher than this guy does when he's at the bottom of the lift, is that true? He seems to be using more quads the way he's doing it. I also fit it harder to put your ass that low at the bottom of the lift because your body seems to sit back more and my shins then get in the way of putting the BB on the ground.

Thats wh
    Bulking is living.

Weight:187 LBS
    Height:5'11
    BF:Somewhere around 13-14%

Parallel Squat: 220*8
    Deadlift(Sumo): 260*8
    Bench 165*4

My Journal- "Bulking is Living [By:Rick]"

Quote Originally Posted by gator
    I have a quick question of my own on DL form

http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/...BDeadlift.html

I was taught in football years back that you should keep your ass up higher than this guy does when he's at the bottom of the lift, is that true? He seems to be using more quads the way he's doing it. I also fit it harder to put your ass that low at the bottom of the lift because your body seems to sit back more and my shins then get in the way of putting the BB on the ground.

no the form shown is the correct form...you can have yoru ass a little higher but your back needs to be straight just like the form shown...you want your ass to sit back like that, and thats why hardcore deadlifters sometimes get bad gashes on their shins...wear knee high socks if this is a problem...

"Squats make the ghetto booty"-Me
    "No matter how much you lift, just remember that on the other side of the world, a little chinese girl is warming up with your max"-bIgHwN86
    "Reach for some self discipline."-Holto

oh my back is straight, no question about that, however when you put your butt down that low you seem to be working more of the squads.

I'm w/ you normaldude I feel them both in the same spot (glutorials, hamstrings) and just barely in the back. I just choose my fave of the 2 (stiff) and just do those, and just ditch the other, don't need it.

Quote Originally Posted by gator
    oh my back is straight, no question about that, however when you put your butt down that low you seem to be working more of the squads.
    That's correct. You do want to drive with your quads and legs so you can lift more weight. As was pointed out earlier, this is a total body exercise, including the legs. Using your whole body you'll get more out of the exercise and be able to lift more weight.

Me /pwn1ng by Xian Rookie's journal Rookie's Picture Thread

Damn right you will be! We don't mess around down here. Liquor and Steel, that's what we're all about -Casey

ROFL, oh man - I usually wait until I'm on the freeway to do that. What an idiot! -teufy doing what he does best.

You aren't strong enough or pretty enough to train in the evenings with us...better stick to noon workouts with the rest of the geriatrics. - pup

Yeah. I'm a dork. - Teufy

Better yet, "why should anyone's interpretation of divinity govern modern society?" - Twilo

Quote Originally Posted by rookiebldr
    That's correct. You do want to drive with your quads and legs so you can lift more weight. As was pointed out earlier, this is a total body exercise, including the legs. Using your whole body you'll get more out of the exercise and be able to lift more weight.
    Yea good point, my DL's are weak probably because I dont use my legs at all.

I kinda feel like a reetard when I am trying to do these. I am just not sure I am doing them right. Well so far I havent hurt my back so I must be ok?
    Last edited by NormalDude; 02-08-2006 at 10:05 PM.
    I want to be a gladiator on Spartacus. Or at least be on the same cycle as them.

Measurements

Height - 6'
    Weight - 247 lbs
    BF% - 16

I feel these beasts in my back, I only do like 245x5 on DL's. I dont feel them in my legs at all. Should you drive with your quads and straigten essentially at the same time? Or do you drive with your quads to get the bar off the ground for a couple of inches then use your back with your quads to get your body straight up?

^ I believe you're supposed to straight AND drive it up at the same time. If you were to just drive up with the legs AND THEN bring your back upright... I don't think you'd see very good progress because the legs won't have much of a problem getting the weight up but your back won't be able to get upright with that much weight.
    It's like the 2nd half of that sort of form would just be like a SLDL.

I always try to get my ass as far down as I can and look up at the ceiling, I'm able to do more weight this weigh and I assume it's because my legs and back are doing the work together.

*Sigh* I love deadlifts.
    ...........||High School||.....||July '05||.......||January '09||
    Bench.........225x1...............275x1.................?
    Squat...........?.......................?....................365x5
    Deadlift........?.....................315x5...............435x5
    Weight........180...................192...................185
    BF%.............?......................12.....................12
    Time to Get Ripped
    Pictures of Me

Quote Originally Posted by fatrb38
    ^ I believe you're supposed to straight AND drive it up at the same time. If you were to just drive up with the legs AND THEN bring your back upright... I don't think you'd see very good progress because the legs won't have much of a problem getting the weight up but your back won't be able to get upright with that much weight.
    It's like the 2nd half of that sort of form would just be like a SLDL.

I always try to get my ass as far down as I can and look up at the ceiling, I'm able to do more weight this weigh and I assume it's because my legs and back are doing the work together.

*Sigh* I love deadlifts.
    How do you manage to get the bar to the ground when you put your ass down low? My knees and shins seem to get in the way, because your supposed to keep your body/shoulders back.
    Last edited by gator; 02-08-2006 at 10:52 PM.

Well I guess some of it has to do with the size/shape of the person doing the lift I guess. Also my hands are just slightly wider than shoulder width apart and my legs are at shoulder width. Even though I look up as much as I can, my back is still not entirely upright when I first start the motion.

I wish I could make a video but I don't have a camcorder. Also my form on the way down is not the same as on the way up and I'm sure I'd find it incredibly awkward to try to get the weight back to the ground with my shoulders still back. Basically I guess I really only worry about getting the weight up, how I put it back down doesn't matter much to me. I was always under the impression that the eccentric motion for deadlifts wasn't that big of a deal since it'd be a complete bitch to try to get that weight to go slowly back to the ground with the same form. Now I'm confused.
    Time to Get Ripped
    Pictures of Me

Quote Originally Posted by fatrb38
    Well I guess some of it has to do with the size/shape of the person doing the lift I guess. Also my hands are just slightly wider than shoulder width apart and my legs are at shoulder width. Even though I look up as much as I can, my back is still not entirely upright when I first start the motion.

I wish I could make a video but I don't have a camcorder. Also my form on the way down is not the same as on the way up and I'm sure I'd find it incredibly awkward to try to get the weight back to the ground with my shoulders still back. Basically I guess I really only worry about getting the weight up, how I put it back down doesn't matter much to me. I was always under the impression that the eccentric motion for deadlifts wasn't that big of a deal since it'd be a complete bitch to try to get that weight to go slowly back to the ground with the same form. Now I'm confused.

haha yea makes sence in a way, using the same motion back down really doesn't work. Next deadlift day I'm going to throw some low weight on there and start playing with my form a bit.

Yeah. I guess when you go back down you have to actually bring your upper body down a little before your start bending your knees. Each person is different though so it can get confusing. Playing with the form, as you said, should definitely help you find what works for you.
    Time to Get Ripped
    Pictures of Me