The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

WTF? Sunflower Seeds Low in Sodium?

Ya know I love David's Sunflower seeds since they keep my mouth busy (sometimes I get kinda fidgety) and are high in protein and fat but low in carbs. One thing I always thought was that they were really high in sodium and just now I'm looking at the nutrition facts for the different flavors of sunflower seeds and none of them really seem to have that much sodium in them. I was worried about the sodium thing because I'm under the impression that high sodium diets can increase risk of hypertension (wouldn't be a factor until down the road though).

Do you guys know if they use something else as a substitute or anything? Because I always assumed sunflower seeds were very high in salt and thus high in sodium. Here's a link to the nutrition facts (ranch is my favorite):
    http://www.davidseeds.com/pages/products.html

What's more is that if you eat them as I do (not whole but cracking and taking out the seed inside) then you aren't really going to be able to go through more than 5.25oz bag of them. Doing the calculations, that really isn't that much sodium at all... 225mg of sodium in bag of Ranch seeds = 10% of Daily Value, and for regular ~342mg of sodium = ~15% of Daily Value.

Am I missing something here?
    ...........||High School||.....||July '05||.......||January '09||
    Bench.........225x1...............275x1.................?
    Squat...........?.......................?....................365x5
    Deadlift........?.....................315x5...............435x5
    Weight........180...................192...................185
    BF%.............?......................12.....................12
    Time to Get Ripped
    Pictures of Me

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

They're not salted. Salted ones are high in sodium.

No problem with sodium though, unless you have some sort of health problem ...

DeaTH BeFoRe WeaKNeSs sCaRz*Of*PaiN's Avatar
    They're not salted. Salted ones are high in sodium.
    It's always the simple things...
    "The only easy day was yesterday."

Okay my bad, I just assumed they were all salted I guess. Looks like it's time for a costco pack.
    ...........||High School||.....||July '05||.......||January '09||
    Bench.........225x1...............275x1.................?
    Squat...........?.......................?....................365x5
    Deadlift........?.....................315x5...............435x5
    Weight........180...................192...................185
    BF%.............?......................12.....................12
    Time to Get Ripped
    Pictures of Me

Wannabebig New Member

****ing LIE!

[QUOTE=Am I missing something here?[/QUOTE]

YES!! You're missing the LIE. They're f-n lyin. If you look at the Frito Lay packs (which taste better anyways)... you'll see on small pack has 90%+ the reccommended value for one day. They're a bunch of bitch ass lyers.

Quote Originally Posted by Nikodastinko View Post
    YES!! You're missing the LIE. They're f-n lyin. If you look at the Frito Lay packs (which taste better anyways)... you'll see on small pack has 90%+ the reccommended value for one day. They're a bunch of bitch ass lyers.
    Your first post is to drag up a thread from 2006 to say a bunch of non sense?
    First Bulk pics VS Starting pics, take a look!! http://www.wannabebigforums.com/show...=1#post1616109

Progress pics of a cut using bodyweight only movements http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...45#post2405745

Generally, if you read a piece of advice on the internet, assume it's wrong until proven otherwise. This applies especially to "conventional wisdom". -Belial

Wannabebig New Member

David purposely misleads folks!!!

I've been eating David seeds steady for about a year. I love that they are supposedly lower in sodium so I get all the flavors and wear them out! Today I was studying a bag a little closer. Those assholes somehow list only the nutrition facts for the kernel?!?! What the F?! Who the hell eats just the kernel without putting the whole seed in their mouth?? Something has to be done so little league-ers don't get hooked on them because their parents are fooled into thinking they are healthy. The other seed companies are just more honest and not trying to make a buck pretending to be a healthy snack. This really pisses me off and I'm going to rally to get something done.

Quote Originally Posted by d'Anconia View Post
    Ya know I love David's Sunflower seeds since they keep my mouth busy (sometimes I get kinda fidgety) and are high in protein and fat but low in carbs. One thing I always thought was that they were really high in sodium and just now I'm looking at the nutrition facts for the different flavors of sunflower seeds and none of them really seem to have that much sodium in them. I was worried about the sodium thing because I'm under the impression that high sodium diets can increase risk of hypertension (wouldn't be a factor until down the road though).

Do you guys know if they use something else as a substitute or anything? Because I always assumed sunflower seeds were very high in salt and thus high in sodium. Here's a link to the nutrition facts (ranch is my favorite):
    http://www.davidseeds.com/pages/products.html

What's more is that if you eat them as I do (not whole but cracking and taking out the seed inside) then you aren't really going to be able to go through more than 5.25oz bag of them. Doing the calculations, that really isn't that much sodium at all... 225mg of sodium in bag of Ranch seeds = 10% of Daily Value, and for regular ~342mg of sodium = ~15% of Daily Value.

Am I missing something here?

Wannabebig New Member
    I am addicted to David seeds... when I am in work I eat a bag every night..
    Sunflower seeds and oil contain both monounsaturated and polyunsaturated fat.. But it is low in carbs..